1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Someone define the Dreamshake, please.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreamMachine34, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

One of a kind. Tall, strong and quick. Blessed footwork. Handle. Shooting touch. Ultimate mind game post player. Also one of the best all-around defenders to ever do it. Unique. Truly one of the best of all-time.

There will never be another Hakeem Olajuwon.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

@DreamShook @dreamshakin as dream scientists, pls define. i was born at the end of the mergady era, so i dunno.

DeBeards, tinman and juanm34 like this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

It was the spinning fakes he would do in the post before taking a shot. Doesn't matter what shot it is, could be a fadeaway jumper, could be a hook shot, could be a layup.

You never knew how many he was going to do or which direction the shot would ultimately come from.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

In simple terms of McDonalds the DreamShake is basically this to any dude in the paint.

[​IMG]

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It shook me in the Dream........

[​IMG]

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Last night I was dreaming we were playing the Knicks but it was modern day and Hakeem was still cooking Ewing. Only difference is he was talking **** and Sam Cassell was a Knicks assistant coach. I wake up to find a necro Dream thread and someone has liked my post from 2002. Yes cool story bro.

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

A balletic barrage of jukes and spins culminating in a cocophany of cheers and the infliction of shame.

don grahamleone, B-Bob and OremLK like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Your mother twerking.....while on crack

just kidding

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Anyone here been around long enough to remember Art Eckman "captioning" Rudy Tomjanovich's MUSCLE LEAN?

topfive likes this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The Dreamshake was everything the Dream used to shake off his opponents when he got the ball.

There was something he did with his head and shoulders almost every time he recieved the ball, he always seemed to lean one way and then the other without losing an ounce of balance, then after that the flurry of moves came at you. I used to think that this shoulder/head shimy was the Dreamshake but as I got older and thought about what he was actually doing, it was all about recieving the ball and knowing inside of himself that he had about twelve to thirteen thousand combinations he could go to and make them work. Often he wouldn't actually do the fake one way then the other thing, a lot of times if the defender was flat footed, he would recieve the ball and make the move at the same time.

In conclusion of a lifetime of watching those move sets over and over, the Dreamshake was all of it. And the Playoff Dreamshake was ten times better than the regular season Dreamshake. That's something that should be highlighted more and more as time seperates us from his days of glory. Hakeem was good but playoff Hakeem was so good that Mr. October Reggie Jackson couldn't make any light of the jump he would make come every May.

I personally believe Playoff Hakeem was better than Michael Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, Dirk, Jokic, Duncan, Kareem, Magic, even Bird. Only player to ever play that I am just not sure about who's better: Bill Russell. Bill might have known exactly how to defend Hakeem and exactly how to use his teammates in order to avoid Hakeem's defense. I'm not sure there's ever been a higher basketball IQ than Bill's.

MultipleSauces, BamBam and kpdark like this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DreamShook and OremLK like this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

30 second promotional intro on a 2 minute video, on top of YT ads, lol

Gotta love some of these "creators"

tinman likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding, Crash. How can you define the indefinable.

DeBeards, don grahamleone and BamBam like this.
  14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

So true! Couldn't have said it better myself @Deckard !!

[​IMG]

:eek:

DeBeards, don grahamleone and Deckard like this.
  15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Holy cow, a post from 2002! You never know what kind of old stuff is still out there. I’m just glad this one was true. :)

You trying to bring me out of mothballs Deck? Lol.

Deckard and don grahamleone like this.
  16. HROZ

HROZ Member

The Dreamshake is a set of counters that Hakeem has.

It's based on Hakeem being able to read the opponents movements & body momentum to get in a position to take the best shot available.

glimmertwins likes this.
  17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The “Dream Shake” is a series of moves that Olajuwon put together as counters to each other make his post game unstoppable.

1. It Starts with a basic NBA (move) turn to middle for the bump and jump hook. This is a go to move for Dream and he would easily make 8 of every 10 of these shots. You can’t just allow him to have this.

2. Dream’s counter to this move is is the fake to the middle and drop step to the baseline or the quick spin to the baseline. While your anticipating the jump hook, Dream either fakes to the middle and spins baseline or just spins baseline on the catch. Defenders who are guessing or waiting for the jump hook often look frozen & results in a lay up or dunk.

3. The final part of the series is the baseline fall away. Dream fakes to the middle, making the defender think jump hook and then while they’re anticipating the drop step spin counter, he shoots a fade away jumper instead. The defender is glad he didn’t shoot the hook and is waiting for the Baseline spin and then he looks and Dream is fading away from him while he helplessly watches him do it. Most normal NBA players/ defenders would be glad to let any player have this tough fadeaway baseline jumper. But the gag is, ITS DREAM’S favorite shot.! Hell, he might make 8 of 10 on these too.

Additionally, Dream got to the point offensively where he could take his man off the dribble and if cut off, he could go into these series of moves that way. Meaning you’re right back in the jump hook , drop step & baseline fadeaway torture chamber.
    When you add that he was a top pick & lob threat, a top pick & pop threat and a top mid- range jump shooter, he was basically an unstoppable offensive player.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Right next to his pride.

Dennis Rodman (or was it Avery Johnson?) said Robinson was visibly shaking after the game in the locker room. I'd like to think this isn't hyperbole. Robinson probably didn't even need to undress after the game; Dream did that for him on the court.

I'll stop now.

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. MultipleSauces

He should’ve never changed his name from Hakim to hakeem

cuz the only way to stop him is to Hack’im