1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets trade KJ Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

KJ is up for an extension. So if you want to keep him, you don't have him on that value contract for much longer. I saw a lot of people on the board advocating for paying him more than Tate got. No thanks. As the late great Daryl Morey once said (wait, he's still alive? well he's dead to me), "You want to be the team that finds Chandler Parsons. You don't want to be the team that pays Chandler Parsons."

2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Quoting Daryl Morey just makes me more convinced than ever that giving KJM away for basically absolutely nothing is and will be a big mistake. KJM could miss a shot and jump again quicker than anyone I’ve ever seen play the game. People complaining on this board about his defense on a Silas run team…really??? He was our ONLY shotblocker and a kid with his athleticism can be coached to have excellent defense. Why not give away Sengun, J Green, etc. who are much much worse with the little defense they play. Silas never pulled KJM from any game due to defensive lapses. KJM is a legit star who averaged over 15 points per game he started and shot over 55% which is exceptional. He was easily worth a mid first rounder and we were flat out robbed by the Clippers. Makes me sick to my stomach.

3. dookiester

dookiester Member

In this case, the Rockets are the team that found Dillon Brooks, dealt him before he played a minute, and ended up paying him more than Chandler Parsons to get him to play here.

Andre0087, Jags, RocketsTerps and 4 others like this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

3 pages earlier in this thread we have a tweet citing a clippers source stating what KJ's going to bring to them as part of their rotation. you truly are beyond help you f'n vegetable

Imanimal likes this.
  5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You said KMJ can be in any nba teams rotation. Citing a random tweet from the Clippers proves none of that

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

You are Delusional, Stop the Non Sense.
    KJ Martin is a Bench Player that brings Energy.
    His Lateral Defense and Below Average Shooting 3s, Cant create his own shot or create and pass.

Jalen Green and Alperen Sengun in a Two Man Game really did remind me of Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic the whole 2023 Playoffs.

Jalen Green and Alperen Sengun was on my mind the whole 2023 Denver Nuggets Run. I was really rooting for the Nuggets, because I want Nikola Jokic and Jamal Murray System to Succeed and Prove to the Rockets Organization, that the Nuggets System with a Center Passing and Shooting, With Murray creating passing and Shooting 3s works.

A Head Coach with a Real Playbook, A Leader that brings Strictness on Defense. Holding Anybody Accountable even if it is KPJ.

#266 rockets1995, Jul 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Lmaooooo. KMJ is not nearly as good as he is in your head. He's okay, but losing him won't move any needles. This is nitpicking 101

Williamson and saleem like this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

1) KJ would make any of the 30 teams’ rotations
    2) you are not worthy of participating on any of the 30 teams’ fan sites

to summarize, KJ is decent. while you’re just a scrub

9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Not seeing the humor in losing a very good player. You’re acting like this guy was another Nix or something. He can leap out of the building and shoots almost 60% and averages 15+ as a starter. He is worth a first round pick easily.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He averaged 15 and gave up 25. It would've been nice to get a first for him, but water under the bridge.

11. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Losing a good player and replacing him with a younger better version in Cam Whitmore is the ideal situation. Plus with the emergence of Jabari, he'll be taking up some of those SF/PF minutes. KMJ didn't really give us anything that can't be replaced. We are a better team than we were last year

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If Martin was worth “a first round pick easily”, then at least one team would’ve offered one. None did. Meanwhile, the market for players of his caliber was set with the Obi Toppin trade. Two second rounders. I wish they could’ve gotten more for him, but they couldn’t. Time to move on.

ElPigto, Williamson, saleem and 2 others like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

i3artow i3aller and saleem like this.
  14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Perhaps they rushed and took a lesser offer due to fears that less playing time would cause is dad to become a more disruptive factor as the season progressed. I know his dad was making waves with management behind the scenes.

15. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Perhaps they rushed and took a lesser offer due to fears that less playing time would cause KJ’s dad to become a more disruptive factor as the season progressed. I know his dad was making waves with management behind the scenes.

16. Ancient Moabite

I don't think KJ is going to command that type of deal as Parsons was mega overpaid

Given his availability over Tate I would have rather kept him on 2/3 mill$ more annually than what Tate is making, but getting Whitmore and Amen and already having Eason/Smith he would have been basically a injury insurance type of guy and his pops already let it be known about his playing time which led to immediate trade rumors

Similar to what Tate is who is cheaper to keep but still brings a certain toughness edge that Rockets need more so today, even if it is just for practice purpose

BamBam and Williamson like this.
  17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Living rent free even while getting paid so much

18. NewAge

NewAge Member

That's what the market value is, but is the fundamental value reflected in the market value or is it discounted because of lack of liquidity?
    When selling in an illiquid market you get less. The discussion is whether it was wise to sell in this market or was it better to hold-on? Maybe extend him?

Corrosion likes this.
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

He doesn't fit on this team. He doesn't help us in the two areas we most need, which are defense and outside shooting. We also already have too many forwards on the roster. He would have ended up taking minutes from guys who need them more, like Tari Eason and Cam Whitmore, in order to provide contributions which we do not value highly given our current team composition. Or, alternatively, we could be paying him rookie extension money to sit on the bench and lose even more trade value.

I was fully onboard with trading him. I'm just not so sure Stone got the most value he could have. But I'm not on these phonecalls, so I can't read whether other GMs are consistently lowballing him and he's just falling for it, or whether he really is getting the most value he can. The timing may also have been bad. Perhaps Martin should have been traded at the deadline during the season instead of waiting to the offseason. Hard to say from the outside looking in.

But regardless, he needed to go.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

So we got Stoned?