1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jul 22, 2023.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

JVG is in negotiations with Washington and Dallas for assistant coaching positions. Rockets could right a lot of the wrongs (KJM, ridiculous money to average players, etc.) that have taken place this offseason by simply signing JVG as an assistant coach. For heavens sake, the man in NO WAY should ever be a Maverick. He is a Rocket in his heart and would instantly give our coaching staff credibility as the best in the NBA! We threw 32 million at a guy named Jock, 80 million PLUS incentives at Brooks, and then 16 million at almost 40 year old Green…..so paying a bit more for a man who lives and breathes Houston would be a nice way to end this challenging offseason.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Ime seems to be running his own ship, can't force him to take in a presence as predominant as JVG

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

JVG would be great. I don't think he's going to fit with Udoka but I wouldn't mind if he took a front office role.

beardsanity713, vince, Easy and 2 others like this.
  4. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

100%

Would take him over a Lucas type 10/10.

Great BB mind. Defense oriented and no BS.

Doubt Stone would ever do it.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I like Van Gundy…but the guy is in his 60s and hasn’t coached in any form in 16 years. Give it up already - this “hire Jeff” thing is like a decade past being a reasonable argument. He knows a lot about basketball but the game has changed significantly since he last made any decisions on the court. At this point he is more of the television personality of and old coach than an actual coach.

6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

On a recent podcast JVG said that he talks a lot with Ime and that they are good friends. He indicated that they have similar disciplinary beliefs, so I think it would work out very well. I also think if he’s willing to work as an assistant for Washington, he’d be humble enough to be a good team player and not overstep his boundaries. JVG to his credit seems extremely loyal and wouldn’t go after his friend Ime’s job if he was willing to add him and keep him in Houston.

vince, BamBam, Drift Monkey and 2 others like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Thank you for pointing out what I missed and that’s that he’s a defensive minded coach and that would instantly mesh with Ime’s main focus and philosophy. The hiring of JVG would also be a nice “middle finger” to ESPN who I think we all agree sucks big time!!!

9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Thank you for pointing out what I missed and that’s that he’s a defensive minded coach and that would instantly mesh with Ime’s main focus and philosophy. The hiring of JVG would also be a nice “middle finger” to ESPN who I think we all agree sucks big time!!!

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

He’s just signing a the Mavs because Cuban added $100k to the contract to cover that bull **** fine he got forced onto JVG.

ramotadab and clos4life like this.
  11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Has Clarence Weatherspoon entered the chat?

12. Ancient Moabite

I feel where you coming from but I think not so long ago he coached one of those USA teams, not that I Am saying that is the proof he could return and do well, his bball coach/broadcast resume is strong enough to at least get a interview for Rockets, rather as assistant or some front office role

But its diff now and Udoka is the captain of this phase two ship, so maybe he told them no to JVG like he nixed the Harden reunion, allegedly

DreamShook and glimmertwins like this.
  13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I was thinking about this the other day when I heard he officially had an interest in coaching again. It’s hard to see many coaches feeling secure enough to have someone of his status as an assistant. But it’s hard to see younger players accepting him as a legitimate NBa caliber coach, because they grew up with him commentating. And what owner will take a risk on a guy who hasn’t coached outside of I think one year w team USA?

Then again maybe some offensive minded coach would appreciate it — and maybe JVG has great relationships w so many coaches and they trust him.

topfive likes this.
  14. prs325

prs325 Member

or we could add him to our TV analyst team

Amiga, eman, Richie_Rich and 13 others like this.
  15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

"Youth is not excuse" sounds like it came directly out of JVG's mouth.

We can only hope that Ime doesn't take it as far as giving heavy rotation minutes to Charlie Ward and David Wesley when they were 34yrs old.

Drift Monkey and topfive like this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

There's just other guys that deserve the jobs. He was a smart coach 15 years ago, 15 years of sitting next to smooth brains at ESPN, 15 years of the game going by is too much to assume even to be an assistant. What's left of his basketball knowledge, his experience, and his clout are definitely best served in a front office where he'd have some influence in overall direction. He's a guy in the back with a map. Not the guy near the steering wheel.

He needs to be the guy the players see after practice walking down a hall. OH SH! THERE'S YA BOI JVG and he can just say keep playing hard, we see you. Can you really imagine 5'2" 60 year old hobbit ass Jeff Van Gundy trying to coach 21 year old Jalen Green all day in practices? With techniques from 2007?!

Mans just wants them NBA checks, ESPN was a good gig and he's not ready for the bank to stop swelling up. It's been a sweet ride being the smartest guy with a mic but there's no pressure there. He quit and picked up the mic 15 years ago because of the pressure.

topfive likes this.
  17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

JVG always defends the Rockets it seems and he has a soft spot in my heart for that alone. He coached 11 seasons and only had 1 losing season, career, his career winning percentage of .575 equates to an average of 47+ wins per season. He coached the Men's National Teams a few times and thought he was involved in this recently, but don't know for sure. His time as a broadcaster has given him a view of what works and what doesn't work in the NBA. I'd love to see him as Top Asst to Ime (doubt that happens), front office VP or Operations (or something) or as our new broadcasting voice for our Houston Rockets. Dude loves and lives in Houston, bring him back in some capacity--he knows BBall.

Corpusfan, BamBam, Red.Glare and 2 others like this.
  18. kpdark

kpdark Member

there can always be a space for JVG in the coaching staff,

it all just depends on Ime

BamBam likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Paragraphs with a look.

Rokman likes this.
  20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the route we need to go. Even if it's just for home games. He might not mind traveling if he's interested in coaching again, but we could offer a pretty cushy gig. Then loan him out for one national game a week if NBC gets broadcast rights back next year.

eman, Patience and Rashmon like this.