1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to hire Bobby Slowik as OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Feb 12, 2023.

1. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Also, you dont know about Slowik, if you knew, he was the offensive coordinator of the 49ers, without having the title as OC, helping Shanahan to build the offense if you go to the official 49ers page, you dont see the OC position filled, and people in the media believed he was the OC but leaving the vacant that position,

Like this article says, every other OC named for the 49ers have been poached as HC, last example: MIke McDaniel, he was the OC, and got hired as head coach of the Dolphins, so the 49ers didnt want to put a name so teams could look at it, but since Demeco was in the team, he saw who was running the offense.

This article was from march 2022.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-the-49ers-are-keeping-the-offensive-coordinator-role-vacant

ROXRAN and jch1911 like this.
  2. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

and thats why they started to hire ex Patriots coaches because they had nice shiny jewelry SMH

cmoak1982 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  3. Major

Major Member

Are you suggesting that NFL teams would only know what a coach does if he had the title of OC? And that a team can hide a coach by just calling him something else?

4. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I didnt suggest it, in the link I provided by a reporter working with the team, it said that, also in this link, after Mike McDaniel, was signed as a HC for Miami, it says, also being named the OC, it could bring you to the spotlight if your team goes well, than you are not directly in the spotlight if you have the title pass game coordinator. obviously they cant hide a coach, but maybe dont put him in the spotlight could keep it in the team longer.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/156213-how-49ers-replace-former-mike-mcdaniel/

"Looking at potential names for the offensive coordinator position, Bobby Slowik, the passing-game coordinator, seems to be the prime candidate, although he may go with McDaniel to Miami."

It's very plausible that the 49ers go with their original formula, keeping everyone in their respective roles, and going into 2022 without an offensive coordinator in order to provide themselves the leeway to give an offensive assistant a promotion should another team attempt to poach them away.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

There's tons more in this thread

TexasRedd and whag00 like this.
  6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Have gone back and watched a few "Brock Purdy" games.

There is absolutely zero reason Stroud shouldn't have a good year in year 1.

I really feel like 8/9 wins this season is there for the taking pending on what you get from the defense.

A lot of the throws are really 1 read schemed open plays whether that is the backside TE throw, or faking slants to open RB/TE screens.

I like Strouds ability to be on time in this offense which is what hindered Purdy a bit as he was late on scheduled intermediate throws.

Obviously he will not have the Kittles, Brandon A's, McCaffery, Deebo's to dump the ball off too, but a ton of these throws were to schemed guys who were WIDE open.

Looking forward to a big turnaround.

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

This is exactly what I was saying for the past few months. Our scheme was made for a CJ Stroud. Plus, all his weapons are route runners that can also block. Once they catch the ball, the can make moves all while their teammates block downfield. He may never need a WR1 but if we do find one, it’ll be dangerous.

raining threes and tmacfor35 like this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

What's that sensation I'm starting to feel?

Is it... Hope??

#69 DonnyMost, Apr 29, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think the Texans defense will dictate whether they can win the division this year.

If Slowik can bring over a similar style to Shanahan, then I think Houston's offense can actually be pretty good.

raining threes likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Under normal circumstances I'd say there's no way we can win the division, but this is about as wide open as it ever gets.

I'm hopeful, bordering on optimistic.

12. Buck Turgidson

There's a fine line between Hopeium and Failtanyl

We're all about to find out

raining threes and DonnyMost like this.
  13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

if you experience feelings of hope lasting longer than four hours, call your doctor.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. conquistador#11

You best believe "the piss boys" are bringing in the motion to the H.

Getto Boys, Get money Boys and Piss Boys all entrenched in Houston's history forever. IYKYK

Patriots are up there, why didn't tea pot do it more here. Covid year when he was no longer here, it suddenly made an appearance

Fulgore and Sooty like this.
  16. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

The irony of this chart, is by most metrics, Cincinnati is well behind other teams in terms of offensive analytics.... their players are just that dang good. Almost never using motion, despite having big mismatches out wide with Tee Higgins, Chase, and Boyd.

17. HeyBudLetsParty

Hope they’re developing a predecessor, maybe Jerrod Johnson, cause Slowik will likely be getting a head coaching gig if he keeps calling games like this.

18. Buck Turgidson

I'd like to see Slowik do it for a few more games, since he's called plays for all of 4 of them now.

Rudyc281 and whag00 like this.
  19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Crap tons of presnap motion from what I can tell.

20. raining threes

Probably next yr.

Guys good.

Rudyc281 likes this.