1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I didn't ask - but I don't think the Astros would give up a lot for me, my guess would be someone jammed in AA or AAA.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

It came from the mouth of Heyman... you know, the guy who said Judge was a Giant this past off-season. Also sounded like it was more of a personal opinion than anything. It's at the backend of this clip after the Ohtani and Stroman clips.

https://www.mlb.com/video/discussing-latest-trade-rumors?t=mlb-network

Snake Diggit and Nook like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah - Cease is someone the Astros have coveted for sometime.

He has two years of control AFTER this one, and has shown an interest in discussing an extension in the past.

He is someone that the Astros would give Gilbert up for - but my guess is that the White Sox may be more interested in players like Meyers, McCormick, France and Arrighetti and Pena - rather than Gilbert. The White Sox claim they are trying to contend in 2024.

It is hard to really value Cease - he isn't a for sure all star, but his stuff is nasty... he is just now entering his prime at like 26-27 years old AND he has two more years on his contract.

How valuable is it to the Astros to have: Valdez/Cease/Javier locked into the top of their rotation through 2025?

Jags, IowaAstro, rockbox and 9 others like this.
  4. Amadeus Rooster

Nook! How about Aaron Bummer? Or KC reliever?

Any chatter about them?

Nook likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros having strong interest in Dylan Cease isn't a surprise at all ---- I heard months ago the Astros were asking about him. The question is whether the White Sox would move him wanting to compete in 2024.

Bregatron likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I know Bummer from the Sox has been discussed before with the Astros.

Under team control for several years. White Sox were listening but wanted something to help sooner than later.

I have heard about the Astros and Rangers wanting relievers off the Royals - and the Yankees as well.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Amadeus Rooster

Wow! Hold my protein shake!

W Garcia Urquidy McCullers if they heal the future starting pitching for the World Champion Houston Astros looks strong if you ask me.

Nook is the man! Gooooooo!

raining threes and Nook like this.
  8. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Definitely would see the appeal, and I believe you have mentioned this before. I would definitely not mind having Cease on this team. Mentioned it to my brother not that long ago, myself, but it's just hard to buy into anything that Heyman says, but definitely believe the info you bring to the table.

Nook likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW I don't think the White Sox will end up trading him because they want to compete in 2024.... what I can say is that IF they do make him available, the Astros can compete more easily for him because the Sox don't really want prospects, they want players to contribute in 2024.

10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I wonder in the eyes of the Astros if the would consider Hunter Brown and a Prospect for Dylen Cease Feasable?

raining threes likes this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It feels like he would be more valuable as a trade piece in the offseason.

Starters are much more valuable than relievers.

Maybe let him prove his health the next 2 1/2 months then trade for a bullpen arm and solid prospect or bench piece?

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Brown is younger, cheaper, and has more club control than Cease. ERA, FIP, WHIP, all favor Brown. I wouldn't make that trade heads up, much less attach a prospect.

People fall in love with his stuff, but Cease has always had control issues. I'm not excited about all those free passes he gives up coming back to bite us in a close playoff game.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Good news: mlbtraderumors reported that Cleveland is looking for a RH hitting OF.

bad news: they are also wanting bullpen help and starting pitchers are all injured or bad.

jakedasnake likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Jake Meyers for Carlos Hernandez and Scott Barlow might be an interesting deal. Barlow is an established closer who comes with another year. Hernandez has elite stuff and is controlled thru 2027. Might be light if you think Meyers is an above average everyday CF but would solve Houston’s bullpen concerns this year and next and help beyond that.

15. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I’ve followed Cease more closely outside of baseball due to his ties to disc golf - not that he has any say but not sure he’d want to play here. I’ve seen him mention a few times he’s not a fan of the Astros ‍

I’d love to have him.

#1795 whiskeyred, Jul 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

1) Astros would need to get a replacement bat in another deal.

I get that Chas- Julks- Meyers all have same offensive skillet and therefore a but redundant but this team is seriously lacking MLB level depth.

2) Barlow will be very sought after and valuable and Hernandez is still pre-arb. It will take more than Meyers to outbid others regardless of whether it's fair or not.

Meyers + 2-3 prospects in the #6-15 range.

Just saw Hernandez is super 2 so has 5 years of control remaining. Jump those prospects down to about #4-10 range.

Meyers, Leon, Gordon

#1796 IdStrosfan, Jul 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Would love to fleece Cleveland again (See Myles Straw for Diaz and Maton trade). We will trade you Myers or Julks for a reliever with several years of control and untapped potential and a young prospect in A ball at a premium position. Do it!

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Radricky

Radricky Member

Cease has family in the Houston area.
    Where did you see him mentioning he's not a fan of the Astros?

everyday eddie and whiskeyred like this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Cease should really want to come here. I get Cole type vibes from him. He could be have a brinks truck drive up to his driveway in a couple of years if he plays his cards right.

20. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Dylan Cease & Luis Robert would be amazing if we could swing that! I’d part with Gilbert & one of our top pitching prospects with fillers.