1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 6: Green & Redemption

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Ancient Moabite

Simpin ain't easy, if Jordan and LeBron are only 'good' at basketball then I see why your standards of rating others are so harsh, they ain't 'good enough'

It wasn't about who is good or not, even Tebow and many others had simps regardless if they were good or dominant/cream of crop or avg(or below)

FLASH21 likes this.
  2. thekad

thekad Member

Green’s shooting %’s stagnated which isn’t surprising considering the lack of talent on the team (was there a worse rotation player than Nix in the NBA; is Stone the worst judge of talent in the NBA), but he made real strides in playmaking and getting to the line.

He’s already a good offensive player and poised to make another leap there in year 3 a la Booker, but if he doesn’t or his defense remains league-worst, he should not be extended.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Coming into the league, he was raw and did not have much fundamentals.

Now he is getting better at it but he is still more about flash than what really matters.

It is a mindset, if you ask him, he rather be Kyrie Irving (PG13 podcast) than Jrue Holiday, Jordan on Defense, Bulls version of Pippen, Gary Payton, Chris Paul etc.

Nothing wrong with Kyrie, but it is more like hellbent on driving a 2nd hand Ferrari instead of a brand new Pick up truck, best on the market with the best utilities.

#463 daywalker02, Jul 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you would miss out on Deion Sanders to hire Champ Bailey. Gothchya...

I'll take Prime...

FLASH21 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  5. Ancient Moabite

Of course he was raw coming in, and fundamentals are learned and honed even by veterans as Kobe/LeBron worked with Dream later in career on footwork/post moves etc

Kyrie may be his personal choice which nothing wrong with that, and with a focus Kyrie the Cavs won that 16' ship, a lot of players admire to cook like a Kyrie/AI etc

Jordan wanted to play like Dr J/Thompson but had the teachings of one of the great coaches in D Smith for few seasons to hone his fundamentals, Jordan did play good to sometimes elite on ball defense, but he wasn't stopping the best shooting guards in his era, it just wasn't many to challenge him as that position was watered down

Offense and Defense is a mindset, its all pretty much mental

Before Jordan won rings he was famous for being a offensive machine, even though he won DPOY early on, his claim to fame was scoring machine and being exciting box office and his off court brand with shoes/Gatorade etc

Green just has to do what the staff ask of him, as Udoka mentioned of being a better all around player (like Pippen) and improving effort on defense(Payton/Holiday/Jordan mindset), Udoka claims he is already elite at scoring, so of course the mindset focus should be on weakness while keeping the strengths sharpened

Now its up to Green to showcase it or get left behind, nothing more nor less

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. i3artow i3aller

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I can tell his training staff and him are really working on the delts. That's how elite strong guards absorb contact is with strong shoulders.

OremLK and kpdark like this.
  8. kpdark

kpdark Member

and also, he should get legs like Amen's :D

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's starting to look wiry-strong, not just wiry

Mathloom likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. fchowd0311

This is good news just because that's more off-season high level training for Green. These team usa camps have high level coaching, training and scrimmaging against some of the best players in the league.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

BobbyTG is right clearly on a path. Corey Brewer level will be attainable with hard work down the road at some point.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

@Bobbythegreat says Jalen Green is one of the worst players in the league. Only way he would have gotten an invite to Team USA is because the Team USA must have been blinded by Jalen Green's draft position and hype.

i3artow i3aller, xaos and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why lie like that?
    I said he's one of the worst defensive players in the league... because he is.

Cade and Chet got an invite too and they aren't exactly proven.... so yeah, hype and draft position was a major factor obviously.

16. fchowd0311

With Cade and Chet, it's based on what team usa staff see in those players. They definitely aren't casuals that just go by "hype" whatever that means. They see them play. For **** sakes the coaches on the staff literally coached defenses guarding Green these past two seasons. They know these players well and do proper scouting.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

With Chet and Cade, it's about trying to change the narrative around them having slow starts to their career due to injuries

With Jalen, he wants to change the narrative around him having a slow start to his career due to him just being bad

18. i3artow i3aller

KPJ's invitation surely must've been lost in the mail. It's the only logical explanation.

19. xaos

xaos Member

Lmao

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

KPJ is from Washington St. That's basically Canada.