1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NBA Draft/1-20] Cam Whitmore, F, Villanova

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2023.

Tags:
?

Do you like the selection of Cam Whitmore?

This poll will close on Jun 21, 2024 at 9:15 PM.
  1. YES

98.0%
  2. NO

2.0%
  1. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I respectfully disagree. You make it sound like people were just talking about it as a discussion of strength and weakness but they were not. They were using the fact that he had 2 fastbreaks where he didn't pass the ball as their bases of him always having tunnel vision which will lead him to never be a good player. That's a conclusion based in 2 plays

2. kpdark

kpdark Member

it's all business....and the job ain't done yet

DeBeards likes this.
  3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

So what exactly was Cam's medical issue?

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Unknown, something to do with his knee that might affect his long-term health. Nobody came out and said exactly what it was teams were worried about, AFAIK.

5. keeez

keeez Member

[​IMG]

slothy420, IvanLCPM, TheJet and 15 others like this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

What would y'all think about trading KPJ and having Cam back up both the 2 and the 3? If FVV and Brooks each get 30mpg and Green gets 32mpg, that would leave 52 bench minutes 1-3. 25-26 minutes off the bench for both Amen and Cam as rookies sounds pretty good, right?

Jags, Phillyrocket, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  7. Ancient Moabite

I would be willing to bet the house that the anti Porter group would be game and the 12 pack pro Porter group would call you insane for trading away the best 23 and under player/guard

With the season being so long and KPJ known to get banged up here n there, I would imagine they roll with what they got and if Cam remains consistent in his time that he may receive then they may just cut bait and let KPJ go next summer

This time next yr who knows what superstar may want out and they both may be used to facilitate that trade

But I would definitely add Cam to being a core piece from what he has showcased thus far, we shall see

clos4life, eliefor3 and OremLK like this.
  8. NewAge

NewAge Member

Ideally, coach will decide rotation and minutes based on what is best for the team. That’s the right way to do it.
    I just worry about the politics of letting Green play for his extension and pumping-up his numbers to the detriment of the team.

9. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

He measured out with the same height and standing reach as Amen despite having the shorter (6-8.5”) wingspan.

OremLK and saleem like this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Some of his missed 3 points shots were close to falling and the others were long. It didn't faze him away from driving and finishing at the basket. He still does do a bit too much iso, however his passing was pretty good. His 2nd assist was beautiful. His jumper will get better with more reps, coaching and game experience. He's fine for a young 19 year old.

clos4life, NewAge and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

So if Cam does win SL MVP, here are the previous winners:

2022: Keegan Murray (SAC)
    2021: Davion Mitchell (SAC)
    2021: Cameron Thomas (BKN)
    2020: N/A (COVID)
    2019: Brandon Clarke (MEM)
    2018: Josh Hart (LAL)
    2017: Lonzo Ball (LAL)
    2016: Tyus Jones (MEM)
    2015: Kyle Anderson (SAS)
    2014: Glen Rice (WAS)
    2013: Jonas Valanciunas (TOR)
    2012: Damian Lillard (POR)
    2012: Josh Selby (MEM)
    2011: N/A (Lockout)
    2010: John Wall (WAS)
    2009: Blake Griffin (LAC)
    2008: Jerryd Bayless (POR)
    2007: Nate Robinson (NYK)
    2006: Randy Foye (MIN)

#871 OremLK, Jul 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
    Yung-T, clos4life and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I really like Cam and am ecstatic, that he fell to 20. But I do believe some people here are too high on him (at least this early in his career). The comparisons with Green are off in my opinion. Whitmore is the way better defender and may be the better off the ball player in time (though the jury is still out on that) - but he is not a shot creator. Not for himself and not for others. He is great at driving to the lane if his opponent is not in defensive position - if he is, he can't get by them. When he dribbles into the paint, he has one plan - if that doesn't work he is very prone to turning the ball over.

For us, he will be that off the ball player - the guy that is great at cutting to the basket and that will stand in the corner, either catch und shoot or catch and drive by the defender, thats running towards him. And he will be a pest on defense. That will be valuable, but he won't be a first option and he very well may never develop into one - and that would be ok.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think he has a little bit of shot creation in terms of dribble-jumpers, if you project his jump shot out to becoming a lot better (which it probably will since he's only 19). He's flashed some creative finishing ability around the rim too. Overall, the package, if he stays healthy and develops the skills he flashes into consistent weapons, sounds a lot like Jaylen Brown to me. Even right down to the inability to go left on drives :p

I agree he doesn't project as a #1 option though.

14. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Reminds me of a more athletic Jae Crowder, solid rotation piece and dog...

leebigez likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

OK? But Amen is a pg lol.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think that's fine. Having guys who can move off the ball and play great defense will result in a very effective and unpredictable offense based on passing, movement and fastbreaks.I t's a lot better than American style one creator isoing and 4 guys watching imo...

17. j@amc

j@amc Member

Whitmore doesn’t look like a rookie on D. He’s always in the right place and has the physicality to shut his man off from driving the basket.

On offense, Whitmore needs good teammates to set him up. He’s going to be an elite catch and shoot guy and he’s probably better than the league average at finishing off the dribble.

I think he’s earned 10-15 rotation minutes at this point. It would be a waste to send him to RGV.,

joshuaao, Yung-T, bballjunkie and 5 others like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's pretty good company to be in!

OremLK and conquistador#11 like this.
  20. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I remember watching a clip on him, his previous school ball. I think he’s had multiple pretty serious injuries. Eye test he looks fine. I’m assuming just having multiple so early were enough to deter teams. I’m pretty sure one cost him a year already. I don’t think they specifically said what the injury was just more so about what his path to the NBA has been like thus far.

RudyTBag likes this.