1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The Amen effect. If you watch the OTE games the twins let everyone bring the ball down the court. That unselfishness brings confidence in our guys. Not only Bari but Tari is also bringing the ball fluidly. Enough with these selfish pgs that walk the ball slowly and miss the fast break players.

Also, I noted that on a 2 on 1 fast break we are cutting to the basket and not running to the corner 3 which is stupid

CHAMPBOY likes this.
  2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Jabari by far has always been my favorite player so much upside two way player. Reminds me of Garnett light.

Hakeemtheking, Mr.Scary and FLAGRANT1 like this.
  3. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Mfs in school telling me, always in the barber shop Jabari Smith ain’t bout this, Jabari Smith ain’t bout that My boy a BD on fn Lamron and them He, he they say that boi don’t be putting in no work SHUT THE F UP! Y'all ain’t know **** All ya mfs talk about Jabari Smith ain’t no hitta Jabari Smith ain’t this Jabari Smith a fake SHUT THE F UP Y'all don’t live with that man Y'all know that boi got caught with a ratchet Shootin' at the police and **** Boi been on probation since fn, I don’t know when! Mfs stop fn' playin' him like that Them bois savages out there If I catch another mf talking sweet about Jabari I’m fn beating they ass! I’m not fn playing no more You know those bois role with Lil' Reese and them.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Loving the bromance between Jabari and Tari

7. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

For those wondering the massive improvement made from year 1 to year 2 in SL alone, (though these stats won't update until the morning, his PPG's gone up and his shooting percentages are even better)

[​IMG]

Hakeemtheking and OremLK like this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Eye-opening. Going by the averages in the tweet above, if his production increased by the same percentage during the regular season he would be a 31ppg scorer. I don't see that happening, but I wouldn't be that surprised if he cracked 20.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

@Clutch was high on Jabari. What a stroke of luck that he fell to us. A bunch of the members spent a lot of time being down on the kid last season, when it shouldn’t have been a surprise that it took time for him to adapt to the league. Turns out, he’s adapting just fine. Clutch also wanted Tari “big hands” Eason, another gem who turns out to be a perfect compliment not only to Jabari, but to anyone else taking the court with him.

Stone has screwed up a lot, in my opinion, but the guy can draft. No Harold Miner here.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Not sure if he is a good drafter or just good at following public knowledge consensus and the consensus has gotten pretty good, but it's definitely not a weakness of Stone's the way free agency/trades appear to be.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Bari's court vision continues to impress me

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not gonna get caught up in Summer League like some people. He looked bad in a small sample last season, he's looks great this one. I didn't think last year made him a bust, and I don't think this year makes him a superstar.

However the thing all of last season that bothered me was people ignoring how ridiculously young he was. While he did spend a year in college, he was basically still the same age as a lot of true freshman college players last season. I thought it was foolish that they played him 30 MPG right out of the gate, I felt the same way about Green's first year. I don't know why teams are so insistent on 19 year olds playing huge minutes right away nowadays.

What we're seeing in summer league just feels like a natural comfort progression from a guy with the talent and work ethic.

13. invocux

invocux Member

NBA summer league is not different than preseason soccer friendlies it's meaningless. Defensive intensity isn't there, nothing is on the line, you are playing against kids i mean what is there to watch? Sure it's fun and you can see some glaring weaknesses of players that will hurt them player in the NBA such as lack of verticality but what these dudes show in sl games, the positives, should be mostly ignored and ppl should focus on what they are bad at. Let's say if a center prospect looked rough in the post in all games he played then he is mostly likely f.cked in the nba against grown men. Things like that. Who gives a damn if a player made his 7 of 10 uncontested 3's? Sengun was looking good from behind the arc wasn't he? That being said i expect Jabari to improve next season. I think his shooting will improve and his efficiency too but his limitations are there so he can never be the n.1 guy on this team. He will be our Mpj, Harrison Barnes.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Both him and Tari were chucking 25 shots respectively, Tari would be lucky to shoot attempt 14 per game in the actual NBA game.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is not like Jabari did not score in last Summer League as well.

Summer League to me is a tad above G League competition but people who are non vets are just scoring left and right.

Right now his confidence is at alltime high, and he would average 23 ppg if given the touches in the NBA but the real challenge is how he plays when he is hitting a massive low.

#155 daywalker02, Jul 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    Yung-T likes this.
  16. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I mean I agree that summer league success is meaningless. But it still makes sense, to look at the positives of a player. Last season you could see pretty early on, that Banchero would be special. You just have to be selective at what you are looking.

A player driving into the lane at will might have a lot more trouble in the league with a real rim protector. A player with a lot of steals or blocks might benefit from players with lose handles or that try to go hero mode. Hitting 7 of 10 uncontested 3s is actually a thing, I would pay more attention to, simply becuase those players will mostly shoot uncosted 3s in the NBA as well - but shooting percentage overall can be misleading, because a player can be real hot (like Donte Green) or real cold (like Trae Young).

There are two things about Jabari, that makes me optimistic:

1. The difference to his first summer league. Yeah, players should be better after having played a full year in the NBA, but this is night and day. Not just the percentages, but the way he plays all around. Which leads me to:
    2. He is doing everything and everything well. He is bringing the ball up, he is directing the offense, he is passing guys open, he creates his shots with a variety of moves, he drives to the basket, he defends one on one etc. Now I don't expect him to be our primary shot creator anytime soon - and probably not the secondary either. But it is a really good sign, that he can do that in SL against Duren and Wiseman. Both are legitimate NBA players with experience - maybe not the very best yet, but not leftovers either. And at least with Wiseman, the intensity definetly was there yesterday...

Rustyrig, kubli9, cmlmel77 and 2 others like this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Same. Said he'd struggle coming into the league, but become a very serviceable 3&d starter for contending teams.

Really didn't expect him to develop his handles&passing this much in such a short amount of time, happy to be proven wrong if this keeps up and translates in a full NBA season.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would actually be good if all three of them pan out.

Paolo, Chet and Bari.

Not that common in every draft.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Obviously this is a great couple of practice games for Jabari. A man among boys when he's taking over.

One thing I'm keeping an eye on is that he seems to be better at being the 1A scorer. He has to find a way for his confidence to stay up even if he is not the 1A scorer and he can't demand the ball on every play. He does NOT have the skills to be a 1A scorer in the NBA yet because he's not yet great at his second favorite way to score. He has to find a way to remain a killer off other people's plays.

In theory, we have a better PG and offensive execution so he should get easier shots. Jabari hasn't seemed to necessarily do better when given easier shots, which is odd. Strikes me as a clear mental block. I think it's important first that he rebuilds the confidence he lost early last season. The next step will be to not let his confidence drop just because he didn't get the ball on a few plays. That's an understandable issue for someone his age and experience. It's also usually an easy fix.

Excited to see him with Green/Sengun drawing double teams and Sengun/FVV/Amen running a tight ship. It will also help him that with Brooks on board, he won't be guarding the best players in the NBA most nights as he was doing last season.

He's turning out to be exactly the player I thought. A 6'11 Klay Thompson who is a better rebounder and shotblocker than projected. Every championship team needs an off ball star like that. You can't have all your scorers needing the ball a lot. Most excited about how Udoka will upgrade his defense since he seems really motivated to do well there.

TheJet, BaselineFade, j@amc and 2 others like this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yup, regardless of what he has done in Summer League, he needs to be able to hit open 3's. That's literally what he's drafted for. He's not at a point where he can just go KD

Mathloom likes this.