1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NBA Draft/1-20] Cam Whitmore, F, Villanova

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2023.

Tags:
?

Do you like the selection of Cam Whitmore?

This poll will close on Jun 21, 2024 at 9:15 PM.
  1. YES

98.0%
  2. NO

2.0%
  1. maypk

maypk Member

I literally didn't mention skill in my post. If you are on a 4 on 1 fast break with the ball in your hand, you pass the ball. And he failed to do it couple of times in his first game. I don't know about you but that is a huge red flag for me in terms of fundamentals and probably the main reason why he ended up being 20th pick tbh.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I know people on this site LOVES Cam, but to me he is just a ultra athletic Josh Christopher. I would trade him

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Trade him to whom and for what?

4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think Cam is just a role player and will not be a Star. I believe Amen and Jalen are soon to be Stars….maybe Sengun as well. Who? I do not know but I believe he is a trade asset

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

H
    I think he has spent 6 years being far and away a bigger and better athlete than anyone on the floor. That is over now. The gap has closed and he will beed to adjust. Poor passing and awareness from him in the first game for sure but again, I just wonder how much of that is being a little immature about the chip on his shoulder post draft?

I think there are many aspects of his game where the fundamentals are strong. Rebounding and ball handling are things that stand out. Im excited to see how he responds today.

rkh-dog and maypk like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Whitmore is playing just as his prospect scouting report said, both his scoring ability and his lack of passing vision. Didn't really look into his defense much since it's SL but 1 rebound feels a bit concerning. Overall workable skilset as a backup wing this year and hope he has the work ethic to improve his game and prove all the "bad interview/bad workout" people wrong.

OremLK and ramotadab like this.
  8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Whitmore needs to be coached up. That’s all. The rest of his game will come as he matures and his basketball IQ catches up to his physical ability. It’s all in there.

9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I don't know about you but I think that's 2 plays in the very beginning of his nba career before even having training camp. You think there were never plays that tmac took it to the hole on a 4 on 1? Not saying he is teaching just that people do it. Maybe he thought he had a lane, maybe he thought defense didn't do a good job picking him up? Maybe he will get coaching which is what he needs you know being a 19 year old rookie.

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Cam Whitmore turned 19 yesterday. He’s looked fantastic.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He needs a lot of coaching. He's a young kid with a lot of scoring tools but almost 100 percent tunnel vision

maypk likes this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Cam looks good overall. He forces things a bit but I like what I see. He was a little slow to move the ball at times but nothing alarming or anything. He looks like he will pick things up quickly and his shooting looks better than I expected.

13. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Didn’t he have like 13 rebounds yesterday?

xtruroyaltyx, meh and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  14. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

He barely turned 19 and has these tools and potential to work with, he'll develop playmaking over the years. He already looks better than JGup and KJ Martin in year three at this age.

Another draft steal, yes give Stone credit, 19 GMs didn't do it.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He reminds me of Josh Christopher, but a lot bigger.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. j@amc

j@amc Member

He was a great teammate today. He made the extra pass and didn't force too many shots (which is a hard expectation in Summer League)

robbie380 likes this.
  17. MystikArkitect

Give him longer than a couple of SL games man. He just scored 21 lol and had good stroke on his 3 along with good D. We'll know more in year 2.

18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Cam played great today. I still do not see a position for him, is he a SF? I know he is a good shooter he displayed that at Villanova, but is he a SG? He has problems going inside because he keep getting his shot blocked. A STAR player can score on all three levels: 3 point line, mid range and driving to the basket or scoring around the basket, have handles, be a shot creator, make his teammates better, elite defender and score under pressure. I know he is 19 years old but he does not have IT.

19. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I’m honestly quite intrigued by Cam. Mostly as advertised. But I think his energy on both sides of the floor was a bit overlooked. Not Jack rabbit energetic; he’s more poised than his age manifests.

Perhaps in Ime’s system his passing and reads can be improved.

Man he’s so young. Cam is nice. LFG

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Hell that's a way better player than Josh Christopher. I feel you though.