1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Feigen] Trades today to be combined into one large trade (possible $21m more in capspace)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jul 1, 2023.

1. jb86

jb86 Member

The rox have to prove themselves worthy of star players. Hopefully the young guys we have can become stars. I think that will happen before another star player comes to Houston.

Rockethard and don grahamleone like this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Our free agency so far reminds me of that skit from "Chappelle's Show" in which the government suddenly decides to award reparations to African-Americans. Suddenly flush with money, they go on a spending spree, just blowing money left and right. One dude buys an entire big truckload of cigarettes that he intends to sell by the carton etc etc. (And to be fair, I might go a little hog wild myself in that scenario.)

And so it is with Stone. Give him a wad of money and he can't rein himself in. True, we had to overspend to get established players to come babysit our toddlers-made-stupider-by-Silas, but when Stone starts free agent negotiations with Dillon Brooks by saying, "I have such a hard-on for you," well, you see what happens.

jch1911 likes this.
  3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Meanwhile Ralphie Pebble be like....

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thank you! All the hype about Udoka bringing his clout and guys rushing over to play for him didnt quite play out so this team needs to OVERPAY for players to want to come here until the team becomes a destination where guys will take discounts. First few days everyone was chill talking all that "we needed to reach the salary floor" crap, but now its the end of the world because we gave away some 2nd round picks and paid Jeff Green an extra 2Ms and "ruined our capspace" o_Oo_Oo_O

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

im not so worried about the new contracts - we got so many rookie scale contracts and only so many roster spots... the overpays arent a big deal imo... and the FVV and Green contracts are about providing mentorship - not just the contributions to the stat sheet...

but its all this jettisoning of recent draft pix that concerns me...
    i mean if we moved all these guys for Lopez - and got Bosh'ed... thats concerning...

but moreso, all these guys we spent recent draft capital on - and never really invested in their development...

KMJ - returns 2 2nds...
    JC - 2021 frp returns nada...
    Tyty and Garuba - 2021 frp and 2022 frp, we paid 2 2nds to unload..

so 3 frps and a 2nd = nothing.

Now i can accept that not every pick is gonna be winner... but i feel like we didnt even try to develop a couple of these guys... while we played Nix during tenure our as a bottom feeder team...

i dont get it...

I mean cant anyone in the home office do the math and calculate how many minutes we got to dish vs how many developmental projects we can carry on the roster...?

thats the part i find disheartening...

the lack of forethought and lack of ability to maximize the potentials...

#446 kjayp, Jul 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    BamBam, theDude, slothy420 and 8 others like this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Not sure this has been posted, but the writer tries to look at HOU/ATL trade from two Rockets' perspectives... https://spacecityscoop.com/posts/wh...and-scrutiny-for-the-hawks-trade-01h4mahf33tr

My contention all along is that you can have a handshake deal, but it has to be contingent on the outcome actually happening that you're doing the deal for in the first place. If the trade partner doesn't want to allow that contingency, you look for another partner. I mean it's not like you're trying to get rid of old dudes with long contracts. Just seems at best a lazy approach and at worst incompetence not to optimize the value of assets/cap space.

theDude, subtomic, jch1911 and 8 others like this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Am I to understand that you are happy with how Stone executed these transactions?

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

THANK YOU!! I don't think too many people are critical of the FA signings themselves. It's a nice mix of veterans, hard workers, and high upside players that will push the youngsters we currently have. Hell, even Dillon Brooks isn't inherently a terrible signing ASSUMING it was on a reasonable deal. Where the vast majority of issues lie is with Stone's inability to properly evaluate the value of what he currently has vs. what he wants. Simultaneously undervaluing assets he wants to move while overvaluing assets he wants are why I think he's screwed the pooch here. Letting someone like Brook Lopez completely bamboozle him is why I think he screwed the pooch here. And overplaying his hand by broadcasting his willingness to spend is why I think he screwed the pooch here. It all just comes off as very amateurish.

theDude, BamBam, slothy420 and 2 others like this.
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yup. Not sure how people watched Morey maneuver the salary cap and roster management flawlessly then watch Stone fall flat on his face and act like it's no big deal. Stone just announced to the entire league that he's open for business to get played.

Fyreball, slothy420, marinara and 3 others like this.
  11. Pete Coldcut

Pete Coldcut Member

EXACTLY. You can have a handshake deal that is upfront about contingency. That way if Lopez bails, you don't have to "back out" of the handshake deal, because the possibility was part of the deal. This is not some super-sophisticated strategy--if anything, it was weird to do all this stuff on the SAME DAY but represent as if there is no relationship between them. There is not some abstract principle of honor or trust here--it is just a matter of communicating correctly in the first place. I suppose the Hawks could have asked for greater compensation for the contingency, but we would counter by saying that deal wouldn't even be on the table but for the contingency (i.e. that the contingency premium is baked into the offer).

subtomic and harold bingo like this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i wanna jump in his chit for the Lopez debacle - IF thats why we sold low on these guys...
    ...but it happened to Morey - thats why its being 'Bosh'ed' - lol... so its hard for me to wholly criticize it...
    i mean IF Lopez backed out of a handshake deal - idk...

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Im starting to think the Iko's trade proposals were legit and leaked by Stone. All those now seem realistic.

mikenm268, Fyreball and saleem like this.
  14. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

So......the only dude with a fully guaranteed contract from this offseason is one to five DB?

Not Jocodile Dundee?
    Not Uncle Jeff?
    Not the 20th holiday brother in the NBA (Proud of you mom and dad!)
    Not even Fred Van Bleep?

[​IMG]

That being said, the two biggest needs this offeason was coaching upgrade and point guard play. Those have been addressed and then some, arguably with the best options possible. I expect the product on the court to be much improved.

Believe It!, kjayp, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  15. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

StoneĀ“s groupies are something else. Now "the contracts dont matter", and "who cares about salary cap anyways?", and "we are too bad to actually be able to criticize the front office".

Either groupies or homers.

mikol13, Yung-T and YOLO like this.
  16. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Trae Young said on Instalive he knows some more movement that we won't find out about until Saturday. Lines up with us waiting for things to be finalized before possibly getting Capela w/ the new cap flexibility. Definitely feels like things havent been finalized because they arent final. I'm waiting to hold judgement until then...

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hence the Terminator on your username?
    "JULY 8TH: JUDGMENT DAY"

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think it becomes more and more clear that Stone and Udoka needed to overpay for guys to come play here. What good are all those 2nd rounders? Salary filler? When the parameters started coming out yesterday I was taken aback, but when you can step back from the ledge and look at the entirety of the situation what exactly were the glaring errors that will hinder the team moving forward? Is this all on Stone? Do you think Udoka didnt have a say in how all this shook out? Team wanted FVV and Brooks BAD and they did what they needed to in order to make that happen. Brook Lopez backing out didnt help and I wish I could know what the numbers were before he went back to MIL, but I'd guess that if Stone would have chunked him 30Ms plus we would have a new starting center and this place would be burning down as we speak. All of a sudden an extra 2Ms for Jeff Green is causing a meltdown because it impacts the cap? I just find that a little amusing. Damned if you do and damned if you dont.

eliefor3 likes this.
  19. marinara

marinara Member

Why would we get Capella since they signed Landale?

20. marinara

marinara Member

Why would we get Capella since they signed Landale?

saleem likes this.