1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is It Stone or Udoka???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jul 6, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's both.

Stone for agreeing to it, and Udoka for forcing garbage players like Dillon Brooks on the team.

When you have a bad GM and pair that with a head coach with sway over the FO who likes garbage, you get this offseason.

Rocket River likes this.
  2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't you dare question his ability. He's been making deals since he was in diapers.

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

At many of my factories, I make sure the internet service does not extend beyond the offices. I.e. the internet service doesn't reach the factory floor. This keeps my people focused on the task at hand. Stone -- take note.

4. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Opting Oladipo over Jarrett Allen and LeVert, signing Theis over Olynyk, trading 2 1sts for Sengun, squandering 3 recent 1st round picks and 5 2nd round pick for a cap space that eventually left unused. What a utter failure.

theDude and Imanimal like this.
  5. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

the Sengun trade was a steal for the Rockets.

the rest yeah not so good

apollo33 and Yung-T like this.
  6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

No I think he meant abyss, the place where all our assets go never to return.

Imanimal likes this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look here is the deal, STONE's job is on the line he is RIDE OR DIE with this young core, none of the signings are long term competitors....so if one or two of the following do not break out, he is gone, and we will reset again.

Green, Jabari, Sengun, KPJ, Amen

One or preferably 2 of them MUST HIT and hit big for Stone to stay, if not we will be Sacremento and start over.

DD

Dobbizzle, theDude and topfive like this.
  8. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Haven’t read comments yet but how TF is this Udokas fault?????

Stone has a track record of this type of terrible asset management … and y’all blaming Ime??? Wow.

9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Stone slander continues. Fred Van Fleet was rightfully signed this offseason, fantastic draft, solid young core etc..Yet ppl here are whining about TyTy & Garuba? Like I've said, the Stone hatred extends past basketball. If this were Morey you'd be praising him right now

Hive5, Hemingway and topfive like this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yes, general manager for an NBA team, drop whatever you're doing and spend some time on a fan forum so you can eventually stumble upon this post by a random anonymous dude bombastically pontificating from behind a keyboard, and when you do, by all means change your approach to coaching!

harold bingo and kubli9 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It looks like Udoka wants someone or something, and Stone doubles down on it with extra moves. Horrendous.

A situation of miscommunication or failed cooperation.

PeterKingX likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Seems odd that you defend like rocketchamp the only dude who is a Stone diehard.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

My opinion of Stone had nothing to do with that reply I wrote. I just find it comically absurd that someone is trying to give management advice that he uses in "many of {his} factories" like a real NBA GM would a) ever read that post, or b) actually give a ****, or c) that the answer to any problems Stone might be having involves employees "beyond the offices" having internet access. I mean, WTF? o_O:rolleyes:

kubli9, harold bingo and daywalker02 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True. Maybe it was meant as a joke.....

But I find it also weird that rocketchamp seems to be shilling for a GM who has lost multiple picks/young players now, right around this time.

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Random anonymous dude? LOL. I am here to enrich all of you through education, motivation, and entertainment. Stone is a reformed corporate lawyer. I hire these people routinely and my experience is that their business sense is awful. Too risk averse and lacking in creativity is the common critique. They give advice to me but do not make decisions. After the last week, we may need to apply a similar set of handcuffs to Stone!

#35 El_Conquistador, Jul 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    Imanimal likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This is 100% on Udoka. He's asked for these players and he sold the front office that he can win with this group. Stone gave him the keys and has kicked back smoking a 1964 Padron and waiting for results. No excuses - if this team fails miserably its all on Udoka.

DaDakota likes this.
  17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Terrible asset management? We had 60 million in cap space with very good young core. Did you forget??

#37 rocketchamp, Jul 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
  18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

The problem isn't necesssarily this offseason. It started way before. It's about asset-management.

I don't mind losing Garuba or Christopher or even TyTy - I had neither of them breaking the rotation. Why did I think that? Because none of them was really playing any amount of minutes that would let me make that assessment. We were tanking - yet we didn't give our 3 first round picks any meaningful playing time. On the other side, I was pretty sure (and early on) that Nix wouldn't be part of our future, yet he played a lot the whole season. So if we didn't have any trust in these 3 first rounders, why would any other team? Wasted assets.

KJ Martin? He demanded a trade, we played him a lot. He was maybe the most entertaining player, but he was also bad at defense. It seemed like we should be able to get a first for him - we got two seconds.

Now from a pure player perspective I get each move. We got rid of young players, that wouldn't get any playing time and we got veterans to help with attitude and structure (FVV) and defensive aggressiveness (Brooks). We overpayed for FVV, but as we can cut him after 2 seasons, that's ok for me. We overpayed for Brooks and gave him 4 years, that's a lot tougher to swallow.

So overall I like our offseason - but with better asset management we would have gone out of this with two additional future first round picks and we maybe would have signed Brooks to a shorter deal.

19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Price of tanking. The tank has been successful thus far btw

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nook and others have made it pretty clear that Stone wanted Dillon before Udoka became coach and would've went for him either way.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.