1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to fire Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Oct 30, 2022.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is true but I think the asset management problem starts earlier.

1. yes tyty/garuba/JC might have looked like misses and had little value around the league
    2. #1 is because they were not given a great chance (nix over tyty, limited minutes for JC and garuba) or great coaching/development.
    3. #2 is because they didn't have enough playing time for that many rookies in such a short time span. they shouldn't have drafted with those picks. package them to trade up, or into a later draft (even if trading 2 for 1 future pick)
    4. #3 is because stone routinely waits too long to trade players and ultimately their stock depreciates into a same-year FRP instead of a future FRP.

its a trend of mismanagement that lead to us acquiring, drafting, deprioritizing, then salary dumping 3 first round picks.

I have to say stone gets the obvious moves correct, the big ones that most logical people can agree on, but the small moves that take a deep understanding of basketball, team building, culture setting, its not him.

all that being said, he's not the worst GM in the league. he's probably average. he takes the team 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards. generally the right direction.

should he be fired? although there continue to be missteps I'd still say generally we ended phase 1 in a good place (would've been better to fire Silas much earlier), and I think we started phase 2 pretty good overall with the hiring of udoka, and signing of FVV. however I do think if we don't win at least 35 games this year he should be replaced.

2. thekad

thekad Member

BimaThug having a semi-meltdown after finally realizing the FO is run by idiots and hacks is hilarious.

Occam’s Razor, fellas.

3. TimDuncanDonaut

What's worse is we didn't even land Lopez after all that.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I'm beginning to wonder if Stone is as bad at his job as Silas was at coaching. It feels like catastrophic incompetence at an organizational level.

5. TimDuncanDonaut

6. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agree on the poor asset management but I still think JC, Garuba, and TyTy had ample opportunity to show they if they were worth keeping, and they never showed enough.

GotGame15, smoothie and jim1961 like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

IN:
    Dillon Brooks
    Alpha Kaba
    2028 2nd round pick(from BRK via MIL)
    Future 2nd round pick(from LAC?)
    Future 2nd round pick(from LAC?)

OUT:
    Kenyon Martin Jr.(to LAC)
    TyTy Washington Jr.(to ATL)
    Usman Garuba(to ATL)
    Josh Christopher(to MEM)
    Patty Mills (to OKC)
    2nd round pick(top 55 protected; to BRK)
    2nd round pick(to OKC)
    2nd round pick(to OKC)
    2nd round pick(to OKC)
    2025 2nd round pick(to ATL; via MIN)
    2028 2nd round pick(to ATL)
    $1.1M cash

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. a time to chill

Silas tax should be called the 'tank tax.' IMO, Silas tax implies that replacing Silas with Udoka fixes everything that's been wrong with the Rockets for the past 3 years. That's not the case.

10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

KMJ certainly wasn’t. 59% fg percentage and fun as heck. Stone sucks just like Silas and should suffer the same fate.

11. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

This has to be a Tillman money thing....right?

12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

EDIT: They did have a chance on a really bad Houston team. Maybe fire Silas sooner but at what point does this make sense? Maneuver like the Texans and sack a coach every year?

Have you looked at the 2021 draft as a whole? It's pretty barren around the 23rd and 24th pick.

Grimes, Cameron Thomas, Aldama, Herb Jones, etc all fighting for minutes.

Nothing really ground breaking.

In the 2022 NBA Draft, Jaylin Williams is literally the only guy after Ty Ty who's turned out pretty solid.

Should I flame Stone for not drafting better? I mean I guess :D

Pretty tough when the draft classes were pretty bad.

13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Problem is that by the time he’s fired the damage has been done and irreversible.

14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Problem is that by the time he’s fired the damage has been done and irreversible.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I would love to see how GMs even collaborate enough to construct something like this.

Side note: when did 2nd round picks start getting tossed around like Champboy threads? It seems like every trade has 2-10 2nd round picks in it now.

16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It made lots of sense to fire Silas after about 20-30 games into last season. It was a complete disaster of a season where almost none of the young guys seemed to be progressing much. Silas made sure none of those 3 guys looked like they were worth anything.

Firing is a bit extreme but the deals he made to pay $80MM for Brooks is all time terrible. I miss the Morey trade days.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Stone gives out the worst contracts, remember OLADIPO?

Thank god he was dumb enough to deny the extension.

19. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I am not too worried about the Dillon Brooks deal like most people.

When you comp the contract for 20 million a year, he's sandwiched in-between the likes of Hunter, Duncan Robinson, Powell, THJ and Joe Harris.

Sadly their accolades don't even comp to second all-NBA defense.

It's just the market and price for a player of Dillon Brooks caliber at the wing position.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the year is 2021

you're watching the nba draft when you're phone buzzes

its a tweet notification from woj

"the Houston rockets are trading christian wood, KJ Martin, the #23 and #24 picks, and 5 future second round picks..."

what return might have you expected?

would you have guessed...unused cap space?

BHannes2BHonest, slothy420 and Nook like this.