1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Trades today to be combined into one large trade (possible $21m more in capspace)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jul 1, 2023.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

OK, so the dude isn't so great at math.

2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Kpj might have been the biggest victim of the past coaching

clos4life likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Where’d you read it was a 1st? I haven’t seen any report of what “draft compensation” it is.

4. sheb

sheb Member

It was said that we gave up one of the picks we got from Brooklyn. So either a first or a swap. Why would we be that desperate to get rid of Mills who was on an expiring instead of dealing him at the deadline ?

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I know we have done some dumb ish, but I highly doubt we gave up one of our Brooklyn picks just to reroute Mills 6M in salary.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Ok so what’s the big deal with this that everybody was waiting on??

Jontro likes this.
  8. Genghis352

Genghis352 Member

This was referencing that Brooklyn sent a second round pick to the Rockets to take on Mills and that that pick was likely sent to OKC along with Mills the same way Brooklyn sent it to Houston. Problem is, no one has ever really been clear on what the actual trade is because its not official and all of this remains in limbo. But, earlier rumors were that we sent out second round picks and cash in some of the other deals and got Mills and a Brooklyn second back.

saleem and mikenm268 like this.
  9. Pete Coldcut

Pete Coldcut Member

Feels like the forum needs a sticky thread where the facts of each free agency contract and trade can be accumulated. I am having a hard time keeping track of how all of this fits together in terms of the roster, the cap situation, and the draft pick count. Or maybe the "big picture" is just so horrible I refuse to accept it. It seems like we are spraying the league with money, rookie-contract players, and draft picks because YOLO, but maybe there is some logic here? The late reveal of the Van Vleet 3rd year team option gives me some small hope that the picture will improve when it is all seen together and all the details are revealed.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The "big picture" is known. We did this as a trade (and used some 2nd round picks to encourage other teams to facilitate) so that we had the cap space to sign Lopez and then roll this trade out for Dillon Brooks.

The trade was agreed
    Lopez reneged.
    We signed Landale using some of the money freed up by this trade.
    There is an unused 12-14M portion which we can still use, but seem highly unlikely to use. Perhaps we can roll Jeff Green into that cap space and preserve our roomMLE to use on a potential buyout during the season?

So without the trade, no Landale. Was it worth it? Perhaps not? But you make your plan and then roll with it.

11. Pete Coldcut

Pete Coldcut Member

If these atrocious trades were for the sole purpose of landing Lopez at a known price point, why couldn’t they be made contingent on that actually happening? This all happened within the span of a day, so it’s not like the counterparties would have been left waiting for long. Is there some reason that this is not possible in the NBA? If not, is there some reason we couldn’t arrange the necessary trades to enable the Brooks SnT after the Lopez signing? The trade moratorium was in effect when this all went down, so it’s not like the sequencing on that day was paramount. I’m just not getting why we couldn’t have protected ourselves against the obvious possibility that Lopez would flirt with us, a bad team, to increase his leverage with his incumbent good team.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Stone wanted to go back on his handshake agreement.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ouston-rockets-sign-jock-landale-18188401.php

In that deal, the Rockets will get Brooks from Memphis in a trade that swelled to five teams, six players and seven second-round draft picks.

The Rockets will send out five picks – three to Oklahoma City and two to Atlanta – along with guards Josh Christopher (to Memphis and TyTy Washington Jr. (to Atlanta), forward K.J. Martin (to the Clippers) and center Usman Garuba (to Atlanta). Mills will go to the Oklahoma City Thunder. The Rockets will get a pair of second-round picks from the Clippers, in addition to the pick from the Nets.

Rudyc281, theDude and jch1911 like this.
  14. Rokman

Rokman Member

What pick from the Nets???

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I was being sarcastic when I wrote this and then they went ahead and actually did this. Amazing incompetence.

fryjol7, slothy420 and Jontro like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

HOU: Dillon Brooks, Alpha Kaba, 2028 2nd round pick(from BRK via MIL), two future 2nd round picks(from LAC)

BRK: 2nd round pick(from HOU; top 55 protected)

OKC: Patty Mills (from HOU via BRK), 2nd round pick(from HOU), 2nd round pick(from HOU), 2nd round pick(from HOU)

ATL: TyTy Washington Jr., Usman Garuba, $1.1M cash, 2025 2nd round pick(from HOU via MIN), 2028 2nd round pick(from HOU)

MEM: Josh Christopher

LAC: Kenyon Martin Jr.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

I wonder if we will try to get involved with this Dame to Miami trade….

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

I really hate seeing it all laid out.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

They did all that

to give Dillon Brooks a 4-year, $80M guaranteed deal.

20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for summarizing!

So, for the privilege of signing Brooks to an $80M contract, we gave up 3 FRP from the previous two drafts, 2 SRP, and KJ Martin (whose VORP is 1.8 better than Brooks)? I knew this was a dumpster fire, but reading that was a gut punch.