1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to fire Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I’m not quite in the “fire Stone” camp but I’m getting there. The GM role is critical for building the championship caliber roster. And adding to your list (you allude to it) is the asset management and lack of foresight.

these moves this off season with trading players + the contract he gave KPJ last year (Gatlin just referenced this on his recent pod) are all moves that demonstrate lack of foresight and management of assets that will absolutely be necessary down the line. These mistakes build up.

I for one have lost a great deal of confidence in Stone after observing how he handles these maneuvers over the last couple years. Not an issue now when we’re a bottom feeder. But he’s showing more and more that he’s not the man for the job if we’re truly goin to contend.

i hope I’m wrong and there’s still time to change the narrative. But two seasons in a row are troubling.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

KPJ contract is unguaranteed so I have no clue what you are talking about.

Also did I miss the memo or didn't this dude just hire Ime Udoka to be the leader of men and also got Amen Thompson and Cam whitmore? Just cuz he dumped Tyty and Co for nothing he should be fired already? Lol wtf

3. Rox>Mavs

On the KPJ contract, go listen to LOR most recent podcast. Gatlin refers to giving KPJ that contract sooner than necessary. Had he waited until this off season he would have had cap space to make these moves without letting all out late first selections go for nothing. The contract itself is fine. It’s the cap management and lack of foresight, making unnecessary moves that in a microcosm aren’t huge. But they add up to a pattern that demonstrates lack of attention to detail.

and I agree he’s made great moves by drafting players and hiring a great coach. But that’s not the only aspect of being a GM. To overlook his shortcomings that are becoming more apparent is willful ignorance. Perhaps he’s a B level GM. Not great but not bad either. But if you’re eyeing a championship in 5-8 years, B level GM’ing isn’t going to cut it.

Clearly you can disagree and have every right to think there’s nothing to be concerned about. But don’t act like is unreasonable or outlandish for many in the fan base to have concerns about Stone’s performance with the limited amount of information we have.

4. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yeah you guys are truly idiots. For some reason, you wanna blame Stone for everything wrong but give him no credit for rebuilding this team on the fly. The fact we have 5 potential young allstars & 1 potential superstar in Jalen Green says we're in a great position. Every national pundit says we killed the draft, yet we're firing the guy who managed it?

anthony59237, maj21 and Grizzlyshark like this.
  5. s3ts

s3ts Member

Let me remind everyone here, Patrick Tillman is breathing down Stone's neck in these meetings.

Honestly, Stone should just leave and expose this organization for what it is.

6. Rox>Mavs

What are those pundits saying about how we handled these contracts and trades?

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Van Vleet signing: meh, it's fine. Overpaid but I don't have a major problem with it.

Dillon Brooks signing: not a fan. The guy is a meathead and we overpaid. Oh well, maybe it will work out.

Letting TyTy go for nothing: inexcusable dumb. He's going to blow up and we will regret this bigtime. Reminds me of letting Lowry and Dragic go back in the day, and we regretted that too.

8. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

ALL of this fussing over TyTyWashington.. wow. Just wow! Every time I see someone mad at Stone it’s cause he let TyTy go for 2nd round picks or whatever it was. A late 1st round pick that folks weren’t even thinking much about in that draft, but now all of a sudden he is a sure fire can’t miss future all-star PG that we let go. We can’t keep every player we draft at some point we gotta pick the ones with the highest potential and move forward with them. I like TyTy but he wasn’t a needle mover. Good back up PG at best. He can always come back later to backup Amen.

anthony59237 likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

FWIW: KPj’s contract is illegal under the new CBA. You can no longer have the same amount of incentive compensation as you could when they signed it. So, there was clearly some strategy to getting it signed when it was still legal to do so.

not to say that outweighs the benefit of preserving maximum capspace and doing RFA. But the contract was so unique, it’s only fair to add to a discussion that claims “lack of foresight” to mention the foresight of knowing the contract wouldn’t be allowed, if signed this summer.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm not bothered about trading away end of the bench guys who were never going to see real minutes outside garbage time... They would have been wasted here, and if they were ever gonna break out, it would have still been somewhere else, but it would have been doing them a disservice in the meantime since they'd be stuck on the end of the bench for years.

I'm more annoyed about giving them away for literally nothing only to end up using the cap space on a bad player on an overpaid contract (Brooks).

Invisible Fan and Corpusfan like this.
  11. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

So signing Vanfleet was a good move, but letting a player named TyTy Washington unexcusable? Is TyTy the next Isiah Thomas?

12. Rox>Mavs

that’s helpful perspective and context. I’m wondering though since the CBA was finalized just a couple months ago, how much Stone would know and to what certainty the nature of the CBA last summer. If he knew and planned for that then that’s comforting to know he had foresight to plan for that. But I’m just a little dubious that he knew that level of detail and with enough certainty to make that move thinking he couldn’t this summer.

hoping it’s true though….thanks again for the context.

heypartner likes this.
  13. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

It’s not about him being the next Isaiah Thomas. It’s about the mismanagement of assets. To let go of 3 first round draft picks in one offseason for nothing and then add your own picks on top of that to get rid of them is inexcusable. And now you’re hearing Pat Riley is interested in Josh Christopher. He could have been an asset used in a meaningful trade instead of dumped for cap space. You don’t tank for years just to throw first round picks out the door.

14. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yeah but that's miniscule because we have a roster of current young talent that could either pan out or be used for trades or future draft capital. You guys seem to hold Stone to abnormal expectations lol. It seems there is a underlining anger towards him when he's done a fantastic job rebuilding in 3 years. Why wasn't Morey held to these same expectations his first 3 years?

15. PeppermintCandy

I just thought they wanted to get Porter on a team-friendly deal quickly before he hits free agency, which would avoid possible bidding wars while leaving open the possibility of trades.

But if they also did it to get the contract they wanted while it was still legal to do so, kudos for having even more foresight.

16. heypartner

imso, The new limit on incentive compensation is clearly the closing of the loophole that Morey tried the exploit with the infamous Nene contract.

And keep in mind, the CBA isn’t some secret document crafted behind closed doors, both the union and owners write it in negotiations.

Rox>Mavs likes this.
  17. liveguy

liveguy Member

Man….what the eff yall want him to do?

They are in rebuild mode and dude makes optimal moves EVERY TIME!

Casuals gotta pipe down.

I haven't seen dude make any glaring mistakes yet.

18. heypartner

I don’t want to make too big of a deal about it, it’s a difference between 30% incentives and the new limit of 20%.

19. fadeaway

I don't know what he's going to be other than he's a promising young player who could possibly blow up into an all star. Letting him go for nothing doesn't make sense.

20. fadeaway

I don't know what he's going to be other than he's a promising young player who could possibly blow up into an all star. Letting him go for nothing doesn't make sense.