1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Iko] Rockets not looking to trade Tate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 3, 2023.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

I like Tate, it was night and day when he came back, great news!

Patience likes this.
  2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

51AF0CGVR1L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Can never have too many 6'4" power forwards on the roster.

Zen Tabak and sirjesse like this.
  3. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

But what will the minute allocation be like? Most teams play an 8-10 man rotation. Right now we have the following players, that should get playing time:

FVV Amen
    Green KPJ
    Brooks Tate Whitmore
    Jabari Tari Green
    Sengun Landale

Thats 12 players. At least two of them should sit every night - maybe we send Amen and Whitmore to the G-League. But I don‘t see them there for most of the season.

Now Tate can play either SF or PF - at these positions we have KPJ, Brooks, Tari, Whitmore and Green. Don‘t get me weong, I like Tate. And maybe overall he is a tad better than Tari right now. But Tari has a lot more potential and is basically right there.

We should either try to get a draft pick for him, or bundle some of our young players for a major piece. Otherwise we be paying other teams to take Whitmore off our hands next off season…

4. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Come on, that's nitpicking. Offering Landale a $1M guarantee in the second year for taking $300k less in year 1 to fit into the RMLE is 100% within our control and something Landale (or any person) would 100% accept. This makes it functionally unilateral. That takes us to $14.5M if we choose that path.

Do you think it's just a coincidence that Landale's contract almost exactly maps to the RMLE? Of course not. It's fairly obviously so that we have the optionality to make it the RMLE or not.

Or if you disagree, use $12.4M, the conclusions are the same.

Whether the Rockets describe it in conversation to Feigen or Iko as $14.5M in space or $12.4M in space or $4.5M + the $7.7M RMLE doesn't matter, none of those things are actualized yet. It is all of those options at once, and we can't actually choose one until July 6th. So between now and then all paths exist.

My point is that choosing the "carry the RMLE into the season" approach is nonsensical. Carrying the RMLE into the season for a 30 win team is not a thing. Literally the only transaction you can do with it is... sign buyout guys. No non playoff team has signed a buyout guy for greater than the minimum in living memory.

"Carry the RMLE into the season" = light $14.5M in cap space on fire

Zen Tabak likes this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

Whitmore doesn't need playing time, he's 18, he can be in the G-League. Amen similar. And Green only needs about 10 minutes roughly. Landale won't play the biggest minutes. I'm sure we'll go small too so.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

sirjesse likes this.
  7. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I like Tate's game and he's a total Ime guy, but I just don't see any minutes for him unless Whitmore basically redshirts. With Brooks and Tari ahead of him, what would that leave him, like 10-12 mpg at best?

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Still the limits are really limited. Let‘s try it how you suggested:

FVV 33 KPJ 15
    Green 33 KPJ 15
    Brooks 32 Tate 16
    Jabari 33 Tari 15
    Sengun 32 Green 10 Landale 6

I don‘t know if we will play our starters under 30 minutes or if we are fine with playing guys like Tari 15 minutes. But I am pretty sure, that neither Amen nor Whitmore will stay the whole season in the G-League. Fact of the matter is, that we have 10-12 players, that all should get minutes and we don‘t have enough minutes to go around. Tate would be the logical odd man out. Let‘s see what happens.

ArtV likes this.
  9. bmelo

bmelo Member

The point of this team is not to develop Sengun but to win games. I am Sengun fan

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

If Amen and Whitmore are playing in the g league next season our draft was the worst in the league.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't really get why Stone, or some of y'all in the GARM, are so high on Tate. He's a 6'4" combo forward who shoots 28% from three and doesn't do anything particularly special. He's a pretty solid defensively for his size and plays team basketball, but he feels like a third-stringer to me, a guy you can trust to run out there 15 minutes a game when there's an injury to one of the guys in front of him, but not much more than that.

I would totally move off his contract for the right deal, but I guess he's fine at the end of the bench if nothing presents itself.

12. bmelo

bmelo Member

Years of gimmick basketball gathered a lot of clueless fans. This isnt 2k

13. TheBeastSystem

when is stone signing and trading boban

14. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

The original culture guy

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yea I like his attitude but there is no spot for him on this team with Brooks here. Those 10-15 min a game need to go to a shooter.

pippendagimp likes this.
  16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Why do you guys keep telling lies like this. Are you related?

18. JW86

JW86 Member

Did you watch our young guys struggle with fast breaks, energy and the like? And the second Tate was back, he immediately showed them how to run, how to show energy on defense, etc? It was infectious.

19. Denovo

Denovo Member

I don’t get it either. Man is a scrub.

I expect Tari and Cam to outplay him for those minutes.

beardsanity713 and OremLK like this.
  20. TheBeastSystem

signing boban to a 4/24 deal with only first yr guaranteed and decreasing salary structure means he could be waived and stretched with a cap hit of only 722k