1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Trades today to be combined into one large trade (possible $21m more in capspace)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

even though I hate the Brooks contract and am not very high on him as a player, having watched Kj closely over the last 3 years, I can confidently say that he was a defensive liability, and Brooks will be an enormous improvement defensively. KJ regressing on his shooting in his 3rd year signaled to me that he was worth moving on from even though he’s so young and still has upside. But for sure Brooks is going to translate into more winning than KJ…IF he cuts way way down on his shot attempts.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So one thing I need to understand here regarding this megalodeal that's supposedly taking place: is it a deal that will be bring us back the impactful $21M/year player right away, or is it a deal that will give us $21M in created cap space that we can then use to try and potentially use in the off chance that a $21M/year becomes available at the trade deadline?? Because I have to say, if it's Option #2, that becomes SIGNIFICANTLY less exciting, and will leave me with epic blue balls.

Also, if it's Option #1, how is it possible that we haven't gotten one single inkling of who the deal could be for from ANYBODY?? This whole thing is perhaps one of the weirdest sagas I've ever encountered in my 30+ years of Rockets fandom.

joshuaao, GotGame15, Rokman and 7 others like this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

KJ is not a good defender I'll grant you but you really don't think a better defensive coach could get more out of him? All of the advanced metrics have KJ as clearly a better player.

4. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

problly not, but they still don't want Brooks. they'd get rid of brooks for nothing, KMJ at least can net them 2 SRPs.
    there's a lot Dillon Brooks' negative impact / hurting the Grizzlies video and why his team won't bring Dillon Brooks back videos for your reference

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

The cap space has to be used before the Brooks deal is official. So yeah pretty soon, and definitely not something they can carry into the season.

Presumably they created the space without a specific player or deal in mind. They're making calls and figuring out the best plan now.

And for the full 21m or so that would involve finding a place for Tate I believe. So more complications.

6. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I don't think them not wanting him had anything to do with his talent but his mouth. I think they were pissed at him bc he ran his mouth and they attributed them losing to the Lakers directly to that. Next it's entirely possible they figured there current team make up was not going to take them to the next level and so they moved on.
    I don't get why people are acting brooks is the first player to not be wanted by his former team but also not suck.

jdjd likes this.
  7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

8. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Here you go:
    upload_2023-7-2_15-46-11.png

9. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

the question was if any team would prefer KJM over Brooks. the fact is the Grizzlies rather lose Brooks in free agency for nothing in return, KMJr. at least could net you 2 second rounders. so you can tell the Grizzlies would prefer KMJ (or 2 free SRP) over Brooks (Nothing).
    but in the other hand, the Rockets obviously value DB much more than KMJ.
    don't know about other teams, but the Grizzlies is the only team Dillon Brooks ever played for in his NBA career so i lean toward Grizzlies perspective a little more for now

and a lot pple here optimistic about "if Dillon Brooks cuts way down on his shot attempts" as you mentioned, you better hear him out complaining he should have more shots "I Got Way More to My Game Than That"

Aruba77 likes this.
  10. Aruba77

hey man. I’m not happy about the Dillon brooks signing. Just think in a vacuum he’ll probably help our win total more than KMJ would. Long term, all bets are off, but next year, I’m positive Brooks is a better fit for this team. Hate the contract and it’s a huge risk. I definitely would have rather not signed brooks and still traded KMJ for the best we could get.

Drift Monkey and Hard Rock like this.
  11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Nurkic is a star? Oh ok

conquistador#11 and hajkov like this.
  12. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

as long as this complicated multi-teams mega trade not official yet, i'm hoping some numbers went wrong or failed physical block the whole thing. or commissioner Silver walks in to veto the trade :p
    give me KMJ, Jaygup, Garuba, TyTy and the SRPs back, trade 2 of them for fair value and roster spot. Refuse Dillon Brooks. sign more 1yr veterans and try again in next year free agency

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

That would be an out of this world addition, but I don’t see any way it happens.

He’s signed for $10 million per for 2 years. Awesome contract.

Only way it happens is if Boston really wants to keep Grant Williams.

hajkov likes this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

I swear, every thread and every post is a lesson in comedy. Never stop being you!

kubli9 and harold bingo like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

so there ISN’T gonna be a big trade that make all these moves make sense?

16. Aruba77

dude, if we do nothing with that cap space, there’s really zero excuse. And someone was saying we are out looking for deals. Are u kidding me? They better already have something lined up. If not it’s the height of incompetence.

17. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If the Cavs are interested in trading Allen and the Blazers off loading Nurkic, what would it take to get in on either of those with cap space? Is this supposed cap space that Stone spun up and dumped all our late 1st rd picks for of value to either of those teams that could snag us either Allen or Nurkic?

assuming trading them into our cap space isn’t enough and we’d need to add a pick.

18. ikedog34

ikedog34 Member

Is Zubac in play for us? Clippers must need to shed more salary.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Well, it looks like a MLE offer on him will put Boston into the 2nd apron.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Trying to find what our needs could be as a way to gauge who we might be pursuing.

Who they can guard:
    FVV 1/2
    Amen 1/2/3
    Jalen 2
    KPJ 1/2/3
    Brooks 1/2/3/4
    Tari 2/3/4
    Jabari 4/5
    Sengun 5
    Landale 5

How many can guard which positions from above:
    1s: 4
    2s: 6
    3s: 4
    4s: 3
    5s: 3

Offensive Role:
    FVV: Facilitator, shooting
    Amen: Facilitator, slasher/cutter
    Jalen: wing scoring, shooting?
    KPJ: shooting, wing scoring
    Brooks: slasher/cutter
    Tari: slasher/cutter
    Jabari: shooting?
    Sengun: Facilitator, post scoring
    Landale: Rim runner

How many in each offensive role from above?
    Facilitator: 3
    Wing Scoring: 2
    Shooter: 2-4
    Slasher/Cutter: 3
    Post Scoring: 1
    Rim runner: 1

Bench: Jeff Green, Cam Whitmore, Tate

Number of spots left: 3

NEEDS:

- SHOOTING
    - Someone that can guard 3s, 4s and 5s.
    - A 3rd string facilitator
    - A 3rd string rim runner/protector

PRIORITIES
    1) Grant Williams - I think he solves our biggest needs with both shooting and the ability to guard both forward spots and occasionally centers. He also provides direct competition to Jabari, which I think would be good for him.

2) Minimum PG - George Hill

3) Minimum Rim Runner/Protector: BOBAN!

FVV / Amen / Hill
    Jalen / KPJ / Whitmore
    Brooks / Tari / Tate
    Grant / Jabari / Jeff Green
    Sengun / Landale / Boban

MarioKissoDeath and kubli9 like this.