1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Udoka/Stone changed the entire Rockets culture in 24 hours.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mdoggnic, Jul 1, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

oh yes

yes, you do

although you would never admit it, ever

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I don’t understand posts like this. We’ll have 6 of our own FRPs playing heavy minutes for us, along with KPJ (23 yrs old). We have a FRP in every draft going forward. We cut young guys who would take away minutes from our major prospects. Brooks and Landale are 27 yrs old. Why do people dismiss natural development?

IvanLCPM, Richie_Rich, xaos and 2 others like this.
  3. Houston77

Supporting Member

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It’s really silly all this handwringing about guys we pretty much had to get rid of to add vets and have any semblance of getting minutes for the young guys that have promise. They all got a shot except TyTy who it would be silly to retain with FVV and Amen on the roster. Get ready there will be a lot of young guys coming and going on this team over the next couple of years. Just relax and try to enjoy the first season we are actually trying to win games in 3 years. There is also the aspect of letting the guys go that aren’t going to play as a favor to them.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  5. Houston77

Supporting Member

One thing I think the "mediocrity treadmill" people miss is that the quality of a team can have a MASSIVE impact on the development of prospects, as does having a stable of vets. Having a much better team with a solid core of vets will do wonders for the development of Green, Smith, Sengun, Amen, Eason, and Whitmore.

IvanLCPM, Richie_Rich, xaos and 5 others like this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, after some thinking about it, I can see that.

Wish them the best, but if one or several of them end up breaking out on another team, it will be painful to see.

slothy420 likes this.
  7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I just try and look at it from the angle of this way hopefully doing more to help those guys we did keep. We've now got veteran roleplayers who know how to play around stars, it's up to the youngsters we have left to emerge into the star roles and make it work. If 1 does it we've got something to build around. If 2 do it then we're sitting pretty. In the unlikely situation that 3 of them emerge as all stars or even 2 all-stars and a super roleplayer then we're roster adjustments away from being contenders. That's how I'm reading this offseason. The coach and front office think we have enough potential that we're going to hit on 1 or 2 of these guys, so we've got some decent roleplayers to play around them. I really don't understand why people are so upset or what they actually expected to happen.

AroundTheWorld and mdoggnic like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sorry but you're mistaken. The maximum upside of a backup SG acquired for a second rounder is largely irrelevant. It's as important as Christopher is to the Grizzlies. He's already getting paid $15m+ moving forward. Whatever we discover- good or bad - won't matter much. We're talking about a backup SG. That's not my opinion. That's his role on the team. He was already given the most opportunity and compatible teammates on this roster. He ran the team most of the last two years. He was the least professional player on the roster by far. We know most about KPJ and from what we know, we moved him to backup SG. I think he'll do well for 3 months. It really doesn't matter much though. He's easily replaceable for the 10-15 minutes available at backup SG. We can sign someone for vet minimum to do that.

Further, you're ignoring what it cost to get these guys. We invested most in the guys we tested the least. You put your first round picks first, especially if they've not gotten a chance. It makes no sense to prioritize a guy who did nothing well but shoot off the catch and you acquired for a second rounder. Three mediocre first round picks would be incredible to have right now.

Pure nepotism. Stone did not want to dump the guy he told his boss would become amazing, the person who his boss loves talking to.

Easy and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Like I said, nothing happened that compromises our future but it's a poor decision and it was not the only option.

I care about the culture - so does the team - and it's not a good message to send that KPJ sticks around because he shocked the owner by having a good conversation.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Letting some of the young guys go isn't the issue. The issue is that they wasted two seasons not properly developing and observing what those young guys could do. They played Eric Gordon heavy minutes for 1.5 seasons. They played almost all minutes at the PG position between KPJ and Nix. They started Theis at center. And after that was proved to be a waste of time, they wanted to start Fernando the next season. That was quickly proved to be another waste of time. I wish they also recognized the KPJ-Nix thing was also a waste of time but they didn't.

Now they are wasting some future assets just to dump these untested guys who we have little idea what they can and cannot do.

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

Hold on a second. Why not "a starting SG"? If you are going by meritocracy he should be the starting SG, his numbers are way better than fairy’s numbers. If we’re done "developing" as of now Jalen goes to the bench.

However, in reality, I don’t think anything is decided yet, things will be decided in training camp. Starting SG will be decided between Jalen, KPJ and Whitmore

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

What saddens me that non-Rockets fans in other forums are destroying the team. Records will be worst than Washington to worst backcourt signing ever and I feel bad for Rockets fans. Hopefully, the new chemistry will RISE

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't read other forums

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Coaches make shitty GMs ......I am a little dissappointed in the roster right now.....Dillon Brooks is a waste of money....

DD

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

last-place beggars can't be choosers

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I tend to agree, but I hope DD strikes again, with the reverse jinx.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’ll except that they should have been given more of a chance to develop, but Silas and maybe Stone prevented it from happening. We now have 2 more rookies with sky high potential, so the guys with not much potential got moved. No big deal. There’s plenty to be pissed about over the last 3 years, but they are righting the ship now exactly when they said they would start. Also, I’m not so sure about the message they are sending by letting these guys go and keeping KPJ. I don’t think there is a message there except he is a flawed player but has enormously more potential than any of these guys we let go. Also, I’m not sure KPJ starts the season with the Rockets if the right deal or two is to be had and his salary needs to go.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah, I think logical basketball fans will see that this wasn’t a great signing, but it is way short of disaster everyone is crying over. DD is a great fan, but a terrible evaluator of talent. Dillon will end up being a decent rotation piece. We also don’t know the structure of the contract yet.

Richie_Rich and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

LOL, all the tears in this thread is analogous to someone having a garage sale and crying over the trash they are parting with for fifty cents.

20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

This is FALSE!!!! Lies are being spread on this board. We have 13.5 million from reputable reports .