1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do you like the signing of Dillon Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 2, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Dillon Brooks?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2023.
  1. Yes

146 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. No

308 vote(s)
    67.8%
  1. VoR

VoR Member

Different roles on the team. Adams and Jackson were more focused on those roles.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I’m waiting for the full details until I judge it too. FVV only got 2 years guaranteed and Landale only got 1 year guaranteed. It’s really odd to give Brooks 4 guaranteed so I’m hoping there are some team options.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

So the sf isn't allowed to rebound anymore? Somebody tell that to Wiggins, Kuzma, OG anunoby, Lebron etc

Drift Monkey likes this.
  4. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I don’t think it will “cripple” the team down the road, but we did overpay and gave him too many years.

Ever the optimist, I’m willing to hope that the media firestorm humiliated him enough (along with Ime’s coaching) to settle him down and accept a lesser offensive role

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

The option is his contract is decreasing. I'm guessing Ime has a massive mancrush on Brooks, that's the only reason this makes sense.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Oh yeah that guaranteed 80M and 4 yr deal sure gonna show him his place.

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

The flip side is that he got his bag, maybe he’s grateful. If he’s getting $80 million, why chuck shots to inflate your ppg? He doesn’t have to compete for a new contract for at least three years.

8. VoR

VoR Member

Each club is run differently. Brooks had an obvious role in Memphis. His stat line will likely change in Houston.

9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Brooks will bring a toughness that the team needs. He and VanVleet put the league on notice you can’t come in and walk over us anymore. Guys like Jabari, Alpi, Tari, KPJ, and Tate, have that dog in them too … now we have a leader in Fred and an enforcer in Brooks.

10. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Personally don't like the signing at that price point or the length. Would have voted Yes if it was 2 years or 3 with the third as a team option and for more like $12-$15mil per year. I know with our recent on court performance in the last few years we're not an overly attractive destination, but when you're bidding against basically no one, why are we over paying?

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

He been chucking since he got in the league. He actually has a lot of incentive to inflate his ppg cuz everyone thinks he is a scrub so I can totally see him chuckijg up a storm to prove everyone wrong.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

So to be honest in a vacuum, I don't really hate Brooks. What I hate is he brings us so little for everything the Rockets paid for him. They not only paid him 80 guaranteed they also gave up 4 picks for him which is just insane to me.

Yeah ok he is tough and yeah he is a good defender. What else? It's not like he is a defensive savant out there he ain't locking up the opponents best player in fact Lebron humiliated him and made him a worldwide meme.

Like if we want vets who are good defenders why not get Taurean Prince and Yuta Watanabe? Both these guys are good defenders and to top it off they are also good 3 pt shooters. You can more than afford both of them for the price you signed Brooks.

The other thing is, if the Rox were gonna pay 20M for Brooks why not overpay for either Lopez or Cam Johnson? Both these guys signed for around 24M, while due to the red wedding Rockets opened up another 40-50M. So why not pay Johnson or Lopez 30M per year to get them? Johnson is so much better than Brooks overall it's not even funny while Lopez would've helped our defense and offense way more than Brooks. Hope we sign another FA who can help all these make sense.

13. Holybats

Holybats Member

15 PPG + Being the best perimeter defensive player is more than good enough.

VoR and Plowman like this.
  14. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

voted No, but will edit to Yes when his contract is packaged in a blockbuster trade to land us the all star player we're waiting for

15. kpdark

kpdark Member

we need dogs on that floor

and he's that lead dog to whip up those remaining cute pups in line

rkh-dog and VoR like this.
  16. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think I like Brooks more than most here. I still voted no. This is a „I believe I can fix him“ kind of deal. We need to get him to mature mentally and Channel his aggressiveness in a productive way and we need him to take smarter shots and know, who he is. That is the kind of thing Ime is said to be good at - and if the „fixes“ him, he will be well worth the money.

But for me that is a big if - and I am not comfortable with a 4 year 80 million bet. Overall this off season could really pay if or bite us in the ass…

anthony59237 and Drift Monkey like this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

He is not worth 20 mil. Is he taking up a starter spot with that money? If so that's even a bigger no.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

- Brooks averages more fouls a game than rebounds
    - Brooks has NEVER had a double-digit rebound game, at 6'7, playing starter minutes for 6 years
    - Tari Eason 1 year off the bench, already has half # of blocks that Brooks has his entire career

Defensive stats dont indicate defensive quality. But $20mil/yr for a hustle scrappy player should have better numbers than that. Battier, Artest, Ariza had decent "stocks" numbers to go along with defensive rep

19. VoR

VoR Member

Each club is run differently. Brooks had an obvious role in Memphis. His stat line will likely change in Houston.
    Where are you getting 4 picks from? Mills and Josh Christopher?

20. VoR

VoR Member

Umm, he's a starter.