1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting lineup opening day?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rolliepollie, Jun 28, 2023.

1. liveguy

liveguy Member

going with a high end of 41 wins.

VFF
    J Green
    Brooks
    Smith
    Al-P

B-Team:
    Amen
    KPJ
    Whitmore
    Tate
    Landale

CXbby and raining threes like this.
  2. ExTxGS

ExTxGS Member

Sign Omer Faruk Yurtseven (Miami Heat - now Free Agent). He is also Sengun's back up in Turkish National Team.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That looks a lot more like 25 wins. Almost no shooting on the entire roster.

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

The offseason is not over yet, you also have to account for offseason improvements for the 2nd/3rd year guys. Your 31 win estimate is the absolute floor imo, which requires several worst case scenarios. 35-45 seems a reasonable range.

5. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Even being generous and saying Green and Sengun both break out and get their 3 pointers up to league average (which is very much possible), you can still leave Brooks alone and play 4 on 5 with the rest.

KPJ should be the ideal off-ball guard with FVV here, always elite at C&S but pretty bad off the dribble, so I'd start him over DB, I would have had KPJ coming off the bench if Stone didn't replace KMJ with Brooks, but here we are.

If Brooks starts the whole year, 27 wins.

6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think we will win mid 30 games just because of the leadership of FVV and Jeff Green, the offense and clutch shooting of FVV, a defense stopper in the 4th quarter of Dillion Brooks. A COMPETENT COACH who will not provide crazy lineups. A year development of Jabari, Sengun, Tari and Jalen. KPJ will be a nice offense piece scoring 20 points plus just concentrating on shooting, defense and not being a SHOT CREATOR. Amen being a surprise defender for our team. With this I see 35-37 games but if we get a interior defender we will 42 games. Landale is not a interior defender he is a hard working rebounder, tough and offense center…can shoot 3 pointers.

we can win 35 games at least but we need interior presence…no more layup drills

groovemachine likes this.
  7. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Sengun
    Jabari
    Brooks
    Jalen
    FVV

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I know the offseason is not over.

I posted a different starting lineup with us picking up
    VanVleet, Brooks and Poeltl and I think I said 29 wins.

Today it's 31 wins......subject to change pending more changes.
    As the situation changes. It's not opening night tomorrow.

I accounted for young players developing.

Again the Raptors with VanVleet were 41 wins and they had
    Nick Nurse running the same system with the familiarity of basically
    the same players, with young players developing, mixed with vets.

The West has gotten tougher in my opinion with Suns, Lakers, Mavs,
    Kings, Warriors, Clippers (pending and expecting further change)
    getting better.

There is no way, the current Rockets with VanVleet is better than
    last year's Raptors with VanVleet, Siakim, OG Anunoby, Gary Trent,
    Boucher, Banton, Scottie Barnes, Precious, Otto Porter, Koloko,
    Thad Young.

You completely overrate our players and allow no room for
    lack of familiarity with one another and the continuity
    it takes learning the timing it takes for said new
    players to learn said new offensive and defensive systems.

You are expecting to throw a bunch of firecrackers in
    with a handful of pop rocks and shake them up in a can
    and expecting smooth transition and instant fluidity.

Now that's crazy

#68 ApacheWarrior, Jul 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What makes Brooks particularly inefficient is actually his mid-range game, he's not a good 3PT shooter, but he certainly isn't awful either.

You can't really leave him wide open like you're suggesting, on both catch & shoot 3's and wide open 3's he shoots around 38-39%, he also shoots 40% from the corners.

On average for his career, he shoots about 60% at the rim, and 34% from 3 (with a volume of 2 made 3's per 36 mins). 19% of his shots are at the rim, 37% are from 3, and the other 46% are mid-range

From my very rough math, if we eliminated his midrange shots, and kept his paint/3PT shooting at the same splits, with his same average free throw points and attempts, he'd average over 57% TS, which would put him right around league average/

Brooks's problem isn't that he can't shoot, he actually can, he can also finish at the rim well enough. His problem is just his shot selection, he takes way too many mid range shots, way too many off the dribble shots, and way too many contested shots, which is just an offensive BBIQ problem at the end of the day...

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I just watched the Memphis vs Phoenix game because I wanted to focus on Landale and Brooks. Brooks is a physical guy on defense, he is tough, emotional and have immature tactics on defense. Do Ime really want this? On offense, he will come down and shoot a crazy, off balance 3 pointer. Someone can shoot a shot on him and he will come down and shoot a crazy shot in front of him. Everytime he makes a 3 pointer he points to the opponent bench,why? Honestly, he plays uncontrollable on defense. I do not think the Grizzlies coach could handle him. He is a tough, meanness, physical and love to defend. Always letting the offense guy to feel his presence….he is tough. He is smart on defense, communicating and always want to cover the best player. We need to be a tougher team, we were usually bullied by team last year. That will not be the case with Dillion and Fred, we just need a interior defender and we will be set.

Amen and FVV will help the upper part of our defense, putting pressure on the ball handler. Dillion will help our perimeter defense, along with Tari in his 2nd year. However, we need a interior defender, shot blocker. Jeff Green needs to push Jabari to be more of a interior defense presence. I know he needs to gain weight but he only show glimpses of interior defense. I think Jeff will push him

11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Honestly I think our talent and coaching are on par with Toronto’s squad last year. 41-41 wouldn’t surprise me at all. Anything less than 35-47 will be a disappointment. The expectation is to win this year. :)

jim1961 and CHAMPBOY like this.
  12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Then bet. I’ll take his 40 win vs your 31. Whoever is closest wins, loser deletes their account.

13. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I like your post, great points. Dillion can shoot but his shot selection and his mid range is not good. He think he is a offense Star when he shoots.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  14. NewAge

NewAge Member

I’m happy we’re back on the Treadmill of Mediocrity.
    The Elliptical of Suck was depressing.

15. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Omer Faruk Yurtseven is the new Enes Kanter now. I do not think he will ever be given a chance to wear Turkish National Team's jersey again. If Enes is #1 public enemy in Turkish basketball world, Yurtseve is #2. Bad story.

16. ExTxGS

ExTxGS Member

No. His story is different. He is selected again, and will play in olympic games qualification this month.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dillon is 38% on wide open catch & shoot threes to go along with ALL NBA defense.

18. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I don't know the starting line-up at the begining of the season but it seems that we will settle for :

Amen
    JGreen
    Tari
    Smith
    Alp

line-up at the end of the season.

All new signings looks like salary fillers and apparatchiks for the development of "the core".

19. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I am still confused and can’t really envision, how our rotation may look like. I guess right now the starting line up seems clear, but we seem to have one more big trade in mind. And I really wonder, how they will assign the minutes and what they do with Tate and Jeff Green. Here is how I see it:

FVV (33), Amen (15)
    Green (33), KPJ (15)
    Brooks (30), Whitmore (15), KPJ (3)
    Jabari (28), Tari (16), Green (4)
    Sengun (33), Landale 10), Jabari (5)

Believe It! likes this.
  20. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

It means that the national team is run by cowards. The guy creates problem wherever he goes. Even hated by legendary Z.Obradovic.

If Obradovic who is the God of the basketball world can not educate someone, there is no hope for that indivudial even he is the most talented basketball player ever.

Yurtseven is a cheater. Once a cheater , always a cheater.