1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Tracker thread.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Nemospl

Nemospl Member

Updated being rerouted.

theDude likes this.
  2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m
    I might have missed something here, so please help me out if you can. Isn’t Patty Mills’ contract worth $6m? Did we spend that to acquire a second round pick? And did we really do this to help out the team whose draft picks we own? Surely there’s an angle I’m missing. Any help in understanding would be greatly appreciated.

#22 theDude, Jul 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    jch1911 likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah that makes no sense. something is brewing. 1,000,000 2nd rounders and KPJ from Jaylen Brown is my guess.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Now Feigen just added this

jch1911 likes this.
  5. VoR

VoR Member

Wow. Didn't see that coming. So we stocking up on second rounders now? lol
    Man, I don't see anything on the Clippers or Nets that I want.

6. VoR

VoR Member

I did put all of the trade action up to this point. I will actively update on my end too, but I'm sure Clutch will beat me to a lot of it.

theDude likes this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Ok, so I just pictured Stone"s head on JC's body in the Boys Just Wanna Have Fun video. Now that's funny sh_t!

jch1911 likes this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Well the good thing is that there is nothing we are acquiring from those teams besides Patty, so no need to ponder about their rosters.

9. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like I showed up late for an Irish Wake and all the booze is gone already. I was out all day helping one of my children move apartments (out at 5:30 am) and I show up to Dillon Brooks $80/4 years, and "All the family business being settled at once" With TyTy, Destiny, Josh Cristopher, KJ Martin, and who knows who else out the door. Daishen had a whole day to himself, but the other guys will have to share their pity party.

VoR likes this.
  10. jch1911

jch1911 Member

RoCo/ Covington (LAC)
    Bones Hyland (LAC)
    Kenny Lofton Jr (MEM)

11. MultipleSauces

There was a YouTube short where uncle Jeff was explaining coverages n situations to Aaron gordon when they were in the playoffs

saleem and Garner like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

saleem, MultipleSauces and jch1911 like this.
  13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If we make the Dillon Brooks thing all into a multi team trade, we can spend the cap space we otherwise would have used to sig him to sign someone else (or absorb a contract), and then effectively trade for him.

Sp Patty is just a moving part - our arrangement is that we take a pick to take him on (but move him straight away)

theDude likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ton-rockets-free-agency-overview-18187042.php

The Rockets sent Josh Christopher to Memphis; TyTy Washington Jr., Usman Garuba and two second-round picks to Atlanta; K.J. Martin to the Clippers; and Mills and three second-round picks to Oklahoma City. Washington and Garuba were then re-routed to Oklahoma City along with Rudy Gay and a second-round pick for Mills.

The Rockets will get two second-round picks from the Clippers, the Grizzlies’ pick in 2027 and the worst of the 2026 Clippers picks and best from among the Boston, Indiana and Miami picks. They also receive the Bucks pick in 2028 from the Nets.

The Rockets send out five second-round picks, not including a second-round pick to the Nets that is protected through the first 55 picks of the 2028 draft and that they would be happy to improve so much they would be among the NBA’s five best teams and lose that pick.

The Timberwolves’ second-round pick in 2025 and Rockets pick in 2028 go to Atlanta. The Rockets’ second-round picks in 2024, 2029 and 2030 go to the Thunder, though the Thunder would already get the Rockets' second-round pick in 2024 if the Rockets’ first-round pick does not go to Oklahoma City because it is protected if landing among the top four picks.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

The pick situation is so close to a wash as not to matter, so basically we gave away KJ, TyTy, Garuba, and JC for nothing, as expected. I think TyTy, Garuba, and JC had very little surplus value at this point and I wasn't expecting them to move the needle on any trades for a difference-maker, but it's still annoying to throw away "pocket change" and get nothing back. It doesn't bother me a great deal but it still feels like a small mismanagement of resources.

The one that really annoys me is losing KJ for nothing. He's a legitimate NBA rotation player and we should have gotten some value back for him, at least a late first rounder or similar. Salary dumping him and getting nothing back is a mistake.

BHannes2BHonest, Aruba77 and jch1911 like this.
  16. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

KJ should have been moved at the deadline last year, when he had more value. The closer to his free agency, the less value (especially under duress, which we apparently were in free agency lol). There are really no good excuses. We had plenty of time to prepare for this offseason. Stone never sells high. Lots of mistakes on the margins that add up to a lot.

BHannes2BHonest and OremLK like this.
  18. VoR

VoR Member

Don't know if anyone updated the KMJ trade: The Clippers sent the Rockets two future second-round picks, those being a 2026 Clippers' second-round pick and 2027 Memphis Grizzlies' second-round pick.

saleem likes this.
  19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If I read that right, net loss of picks is 2 second rounders to dump salary

Gain with the salary space is Landale and Jeff Green.
    Also $4m in cap space remains and 2 roster spots (to glean the scraps at the end of training camp?)

I dunno... I can think of worse moves to make?
    It's not great, but I don't rate any of the guys we lost as players, so I don't see the harm.