1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka new Rockets head coach!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spooner, Apr 24, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

@larsv8 getting embarrassed, as usual.

Little Bit likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sengun people are so sensitive. Jesus. I said it wa a good example of how he's a real structural flaw.

Go back and watch the film.

I didn't say it was all because of Sengun - when Lillard hits dribble up 33 footers that just happens. He's not even in the game in the end - iirc he was benched for being really bad.

But the full panoply of Sengun weakness is on display (for what its worth the Rockets tried everything in that game - switching, drop etc - nothing workec).

Also i can't remember if it was that game but Sengun also tends to get taken to the woodshed by Josef Nurkic who is simply too strong for him.

And there you have the conundrum of Sengun - he can't guard big, he can't guard small. So you try to run drop coverage, and he's not even good at that

The one part of the season to look forward to is that the security blanket of "oh it's Silas" will be gone, i doubt it changes the Sengoat herders though.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. SamFisher

Sengun people are so sensitive. Jesus. I said it wa a good example of how he's a real structural flaw.

Go back and watch the film.

I didn't say it was all because of Sengun - when Lillard hits dribble up 33 footers that just happens. He's not even in the game in the end - iirc he was benched for being really bad.

But the full panoply of Sengun weakness is on display (for what its worth the Rockets tried everything in that game - switching, drop etc - nothing workec).

Also i can't remember if it was that game but Sengun also tends to get taken to the woodshed by Josef Nurkic who is simply too strong for him.

And there you have the conundrum of Sengun - he can't guard big, he can't guard small. So you try to run drop coverage, and he's not even good at that

The one part of the season to look forward to is that the security blanket of "oh it's Silas" will be gone, i doubt it changes the Sengoat herders though.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He had 17 pts, 10 rebs, 5 asts in 25 minutes.

"Got benched for being really bad" lol

Daishen Nix played 30 minutes in that game.

We were tanking, under an inept coach who seemed really happy about Lillard's performance.

J Sizzle likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nurkic didn't play in that game.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Folks that don't see value in themselves often project place their own worth onto others they perceive as winners.

An attack on him, is an attack on them.

That is why it is so personal for them. You really need to put your kid gloves on.

roslolian likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

lol you are certainly not a winner

This guy realized it even in 2014

[​IMG]

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

"Sengun people"... that's funny given that I've been a fan of the Rockets since the 80s and I will continue to be a Rockets fan long after Sengun leaves the Rockets. Even more hilarious is the fact that I am not even someone who thinks Sengun is someone worth building around either, at least not until he shows he can be relied upon to hit shots from range.

BTW, I did watch the game. It wasn't a good example, it was a terribly dumb one. Maybe you should watch it again yourself and then come back and show us all the times you thought Sengun failed. This time though, instead of just looking at Sengun, try looking at the ENTIRE COURT and actually thinking about who was covering whom, where our players ended up, and how the play developed the way it did.

You know who will always look bad in those areas on a team that clearly had zero defensive system / schemes and zero defense discipline? EVERY YOUNG BIG IN THE NBA. You don't think much of his defensive woes would have been mitigated by our guards (literally every one of them were useless on D) knowing when they should be going under or over on the picks that directly led to Sengun being ISO'd out on the perimeter? Or how about how them constantly losing their man off the ball and forcing both Sengun and Bari to try and rotate over in time? Why do you think he ends challenging people at the rim so much? As for strength, he will put on the strength as time goes on to bang with bigger bodies. Almost all young bigs have the same struggle outside of the ones who come into the NBA with freakishly ready bodies. Now, this is not saying that Sengun is a good defender as I do have doubts about that myself. The difference is that I am at least intelligent enough to see what actual issues he will end up having AFTER we put in a real defensive system under a REAL head coach. To say that he is the worst defensive big though or that he is the worst defender on the team, sheer idiocy.

At the same time, how about applying the same level of energy to our guards? By statistics, eye test, box score... they were far and away worse defenders than Sengun and yet I don't see you crying about it over in their threads.

9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

You have to show numbers to prove your point.

10. SamFisher

Why do you care whether or not i adequately criticize the guards?

This is a common retort of Sengun people. It's always on the guards or someone else to account for his myriad weaknesses.

Anyway i already said they sucked - they do. They could trade them all tomorrow and i wouldn't give a sh-t.

Here's Lillard v Sengun, you claim im making it up. Well, im not:

examples of Lillard roasting Sengun:

First basket of the game 10:14, Sengun tries to back off the high screen and drop, but .. too slow!
    Easy layup.

1:58 2nd Switch the screen, pull up 3

0:03 2nd transition past nix, over Sengun

6:03 another drop coverage layup over Sengun

5:19 Sengun dropping, easy 3 for Lillard

Sengun also sent Lillard to the line a few times.

Sengun is far from the only culprit - Jabari Smith was a disaster - but the book on the Rockets is clearly to force the league's worst defensive center to defend up high. That's why the Rockets play drop but he's not even good at that. At least when Gobert plays drop he can block a shot

Here's an idea, the guy whose advanced metrics are terrible, who looks bad eye test wise, who is too small, who has trouble moving laterally who anchors the worst defensive team in the league, who always gets his number called by opposing teams- is not a good defender.

DaDakota and No Worries like this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

And this is why your usage of Dame is dumb. You say that Sengun was easy pickings when going into drop coverage against Dame. Guess what, so is Bari who is a faster than most bigs. He scored 32 points last season. His points were first and foremost from the 3pt line and then next at the rim at high efficiency. This means he regularly feasted on both guards and bigs from the majority of teams with most bigs coming up just as helpless as both Sengun and Bari, including some actually good defensive bigs. This is why your example with Dame is dumb and proves absolutely nothing. Now, if you were showing us videos where Sengun was being diced up regularly by mediocre guards, that would actually reinforce this Sengun is a **** defender take you have.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#1273 zeeshan2, Jun 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    roslolian, Rudyc281, xaos and 2 others like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

In Udokas half season of coaching history, he's never missed the playoffs and doesn't plan on it.

16. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Gift or a curse

He wanted these players

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

20. DeBeards

DeBeards Member