1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Not Christian Wood?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jun 30, 2023.

1. aristophanes34

Seems like an odd fit if your off-season priorities are defense and culture...

Patience and roslolian like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

No defense and highly immobile. Also injury prone.

HardenReturns and Patience like this.
  3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Been there, done that.

Patience likes this.
  4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Just funny how EVERYONE on this board just ABSOLUTELY loved the free agent signing of Wood a few years ago. Rarely have I seen the board so excited. He played for Silas who was a terrible coach so he didn’t set screens correctly and had an attitude. Amazing how none of that (screens,attitude, etc) was mentioned when this board was going crazy that we signed this great athletic almost 7 footer. Still remember our announcers loving him annoyingly calling him CWood twenty times a game on several nights every time he made a good play. Remember he’s being signed as a legit backup….not a starting center. I like Brook Lopez and only mentioned Wood as a plan B with longer term upside. Otherwise, if Lopez resigns with the Bucks we’re stuck with Garuba as backup and there is no world where he is as good as Wood. Jaxon Hayes just signed with the Lakers so the decent backup centers are almost gone.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Hes a selfish knucklehead who thinks defense is optional.

cryout75 and HardenReturns like this.
  6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We liked the signing until we watched him play. How hard is that to understand

HardenReturns likes this.
  7. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Not hard to understand at all, but what shot do we have if Lopez re-signs with the Bucks? This team is done for play-in contention if we’re stuck with two (smaller sized) centers in just Sengun and Garuba. We’d have a shot with Sengun and Wood (with Garuba as a third). If Lopez signs elsewhere we’re left with Plumlee or Bamba…..not exactly players I’d take over Wood.

9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Not hard to understand at all, but what shot do we have if Lopez re-signs with the Bucks? This team is done for play-in contention if we’re stuck with two (smaller sized) centers in just Sengun and Garuba. We’d have a shot with Sengun and Wood (with Garuba as a third). If Lopez signs elsewhere we’re left with Plumlee or Bamba…..not exactly players I’d take over Wood.

10. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

[​IMG]

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This is what you're missing

13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Sengun doesn’t play defense and I’m very happy he’s on the team. Udoka helped Brown and Tatum become plus defenders and could certainly do the same with the super athletic Wood. Remember that Udoka played center and can certainly coach players in that position. As far as selfishness, not sure there is a more selfish player in the league than Dillon Brooks and that doesn’t seem to bother the team. Again, name me a better backup center available if Lopez re-signs with the Bucks.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This would be like Melo signing with us a year after we unceremoniously dumped him.

Is it theoretically possible? Sure

Is there any degree of mutual interest? Absolutely not

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Christian Wood simply can't get out of his own way. If he could he would probably get that monster contract, but his terrible defense and questionable intangibles are going to haunt him forever. It's going to have cost him tens of millions of dollars when it's all said and done at the end of his career. The potential is there, he just can't ever seem to reach it.

16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Sengun doesn’t play defense and I’m very happy he’s on the team. Udoka helped Brown and Tatum become plus defenders and could certainly do the same with the super athletic Wood. Remember that Udoka played center and can certainly coach players in that position. As far as selfishness, not sure there is a more selfish player in the league than Dillon Brooks and that doesn’t seem to bother the team. Again, name me a better backup center available if Lopez re-signs with the Bucks.

17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

No defense and soft….he’s a casual

Arnel likes this.
  18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Now that Lopez is gone, we need to get a center whether it be Wood or someone else. Again, can anyone on this site name someone better. Please don’t say Grant Williams who I fear we are going to go after. Last thing we need is another short guy trying to cover the likes of Wembleyana.

19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

just play garuba. There's no more potential for wood to be anything above trash tier, he is what he is. If you think garuba will be worse this season (i don't think so, but it's a reasonable take), who cares? why deal with the zero defense and selfishness that comes with wood.

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Wood is garbage