1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agent: Brook Lopez

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CHAMPBOY, Jun 6, 2023.

?

Should we overpay Brook Lopez to sign him

1. Yes, we are desperate and need a interior defender

163 vote(s)
    71.5%
  2. No, Trust Sengun on defense and find a young backup for Sengun

65 vote(s)
    28.5%
  1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It would hard cap the rockets at the 1st tax apron for this season.

This would be a nonfactor for us. Starting out with so much cap space, it would be difficult for us to reach the tax apron even if we wanted to.

roslolian likes this.
  2. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

If it is taking him this long then that means we are really making him consider coming. He is probably trying to see if Bucks can up their offer to keep him (and they can’t match us). I hope Fred has reached out to him to add some more pressure to join him here (him and Dillon). The only drawback is he knows if he comes we won’t be a contender right off. So I’m sure that causes some hesitation for him. We need him to have the mindset of “I can help turn it around in Houston and make more money while doing it. This could be my last big contract.”

roslolian, ashleyem and FLASH21 like this.
  3. MystikArkitect

Wonder if the deal is in place and the Rockets are trying to move one or both of KPj and KJM to free up the cap space.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I was with you all the way until you mentioned wanting Brooks.

Only Brook, singular, no Brooks!

AroundTheWorld and saleem like this.
  5. Russjr2

Haha I know it’s a tough sell and hard to consider, but he would immediately improve our perimeter defense. I know I know about the shot selection, but I do think under Ime (and with Fred and Brook leading the way) all of that would be cleaned up. We NEED a dog on this team and he would fill that role. He has some work to do to clean up his image from last year but I do believe he would help us. I mean at one time he was an integral part of Memphis’ turnaround, so we could get some of that experience out of him.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  6. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I agree, his rep took a hit with the LeBron thing, but he made the second-team all-defensive team last year and he is a dog on that end.

You need to have that and mental toughness to win in this league, I'd prioritize Lopez first, but as long as others are the focal point on offense I'm good with adding him.

7. Russjr2

I’m not sure if it’s on us making other moves that would hold him up. I think we would do those moves after he agrees to come on board. And I would think Stone and ‘nem would have already had those calls made prior to this so they can move after he decides. All this stuff has to already be planned out with alternative options (if this, then this. If that,then this, etc.).

8. Russjr2

I agree and I think that would be the case. Under Ime it’s all about ball and player movement, playing the game the right way.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Correct.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

If we weren’t supposed to have him in the 2nd round after our trade with Memphis then, I don’t think it’s meant to be for us now.

He really is a black hole on offense and not very efficient. The defense is certainly there but that dog mentality you talk about is going to be brought by Amen. He plays ferociously and even mentioned in an interview that the one thing he’d work on improving, outside of his shot, immediately would be his attitude on the court. He can get intense and recognizes that sometimes the team and your play doesn’t need to go there.

He may not bring it immediately to this year’s campaign, idk, but the kid has that dog in him.

Back to the topic, if Brooks is a compliment to signing Brook, I’m all for it. If we leave free agency with only Fred and Dillon I don’t think it’ll be as much of a win.

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

We're working on a multi-player package. Christina Bobb Dillon Brooks Lopez Obrador

Dobbizzle and Do WHAT? like this.
  12. Russjr2

I think he was just trying too hard in that series vs LA, partly trying to compete with LeBron and partly trying to help them win with Ja being hurt. Like I said, that will not be the case under Ime.

I do hope Amen has that dog in him. He will be a rookie though so it will take him some time to learn the NBA game. He also has A LOT of shooting work to get done.

13. PatBev

PatBev Member

Are we signing him or not

14. aristophanes34

Lake Show signed Jaxson Hayes... Is that because they know Lopez is going elsewhere?

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think the Spurs are our main competitor for Lopez.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Media told us that Rockets wanted to spend all their money yesterday @SamFisher. Why do we still have money!?!!? Is Stone not doing anything?

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

He already got his ring he should be looking at the $$$. Personally I wish Rox up their offer even more or give him that 3rd year. Sengun was just the 18th pick his max extension won't be that crazy yet.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Prob waiting for Lopez.

xiki likes this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Then overpay for Grant Williams, a dog that is actually a positive asset.

roslolian likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think they’re waiting to see if they can turn it into a sign and trade to clear up some cap space or land a rental like OG.