1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green Regrets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, May 29, 2022.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

I mean, those strokes were pretty deep, that could potentially hurt somebody.

#261 clos4life, Jul 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
  2. txn

txn Member

Regardless who you got, with Silas, you have the same result. Rebuilding process phrase 1 ;)

3. txn

txn Member

Regardless who you got, with Silas, you have the same result. Rebuilding process phrase 1 ;)

4. MystikArkitect

This is the most important year of Jalen Green's life coming up. Not only is this where he will earn his next contract, but he has legitimate physical competition from Amen now who is actually superior to him physically. If he doesn't take significant steps forward and Amen does, then I could see the Rockets not extending him.

GotGame15, saleem and CRJ713 like this.
  5. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

Ime and FVV will help Jalen grow into a star!

Mathloom and Dobbizzle like this.
  6. NewAge

NewAge Member

I disagree. I think the biggest threat to Green is Whitmore. Stronger, meaner, more competitive wing.

I think Amen is an interesting prospect but he will be roughed-up in the league, like Jalen was. Whitmore gives me more of that Amare feeling where he comes in and starts raping people...

7. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

If those Bane and Haliburton contracts don’t motivate Green then nothing will. Because right now he’s not worth more than 15M a year and I’m one of his biggest fans. I think FVV will help him a lot the same way Dennis did.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree, the biggest threat to Green is Green.

He's actually going to have to be good for the first time in his career this year or he could be headed out. I'm sure even if he sucks we'll have some posters here capping for him, saying he's just 19 years old or whatever, but that BS isn't going to work anymore. The time has come for some actual results.

whag00, solid and wlekfjv923n like this.
  9. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

If he has another lukewarm year with no real significant steps forward, organization might start assessing him and his potential differently

whag00 likes this.
  10. MystikArkitect

Very few posters will do that I think. He needs to put up this year. Needs to stop dying on screens. He already comes off as immature especially compared to Amen and Jabari. We all pointed at Silas and with good reason, but he has no more excuses. That much is true. The level at which he needs to grow up and put up is immense.

NewAge likes this.
  11. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope still happy with the pick. Even in hindsight still think it was the right move. Especially considering that Jabari (if he meets his potential) will give you much or more than what Mobley will give you.

As far as the video, kids are different today. We didn't play around like that (at least in the circles I ran in) because we wouldn't have seen that as funny. They apparently thought it was hilarious. Don't really care as long as he keeps making improvements on the court, he can hump whomever he wants off the court.

anthony59237 and conquistador#11 like this.
  12. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We were tanking so I take a lot of the effort related stuff with a grain of salt. I can't say for a certainty but I believe quite a few of you will be surprised by how "improved" some players and the team overall will look on the floor next season, now that tanking is not the primary objective.

Some of it will be the new coach\system, some of it will be increased level of competition at key positions, but I believe most of it will be that the Rockets now have the directive and incentive to actually WIN.

P.S. would love to be a fly on the wall at practice to see the battle at the wing spot between Jalen, Amen, Cam, and KPJ... (FVV to a lesser extent. Don't care what coach says, no way they're paying him $43 million and he doesn't start).

Mathloom likes this.
  13. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

He didn't have a coach or a system that highlights his skillset. If that excuse applies for Sengun, then the same for Jalen

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

By all means, make excuses, it's what I expect.

Problem is, those same excuses won't work this time next year.

Also, Sengun was the best player on the team....he didn't need the excuses.

Sengun is ranked #6 in his draft class in win shares despite being 9th in minutes played.....Jalen is 4th in minutes played but 20th in win shares.

Good players don't need excuses.

harold bingo likes this.
  15. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

According to who? His Turkish fans?

In reality, like I've said, no teams in the nba are creating defensive schemes around stopping Alperen Sengun. Plus our best games last year were when Sengun didn't play, and Sengun's best stretch of games came in our worst performances. In contrast, if Jalen plays well our chances of winning increase. Teams are indeed planning around stopping Jalen Green.

Also from Silas being racist, KPJ, the refs, whos had more excuses made for them than Alperen Sengun????

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

According to the numbers.

It's not THAT much of an accomplishment though, the team was REALLY terrible. Sengun and KPJ were two of the only even halfway decent players on the roster and that's why they were the worst team in the league.

It's funny you go back to that "if Jalen plays well" card....not seeming to realize what it means for a team that almost never won. Sure, if one of the worst players on your team had a good game, your team would benefit greatly from that.....it just almost never happened because he's a terrible player.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not a big JG fan. He is an exceptional athlete, but basketball skills have been largely disappointing. He makes great highlight reels. But then again, I expected Smith to flash "all star" level skills. Didn't happen. Young guys are works in progress, especially in the NBA. May take three or four seasons to really hit their stride.

Crashlanded19 and SamFisher like this.
  19. UclaBruin420

UclaBruin420 Member

20. UclaBruin420

UclaBruin420 Member

Let's be fair here. Jalen was on the worst team in the league for the last few years with an avg age of 21 or something. No vets and no real leadership at any level in the organization. He had to learn to be a professional on the fly. ALSO, the biggest issue with his game in my opinion isn't any he necessarily could control himself. This dude had to pound the air out of the ball and create every bucket for himself. Regardless of the lack of help from a real pass first pg or at least a pg that can make life easier on him, he still put up numbers comparable to any current or HOF/all star wing in their 1st 2 years. Some of y'all need to be a little more reasonable with expectations and take into account everything he was working with. I personally foresee avgs of 27pts,4rb,4as, on 45%fg, 80%ft. The points will go up based on easier or more open shot attempts and extra foul calls that the refs have been swallowing the whistle on.

Joe Rocket, Mathloom and anthony59237 like this.