1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Fred VanVleet (3 years, $130M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Fred VanVleet?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2023.
  1. YES

62.9%
  2. NO

37.1%
  1. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Let's see.

All-Time leading scorer in NBA history.

Worth over a billion dollars.

Through the LeBron James Family Foundation, he has helped send over 1,000 kids to college tuition free.

He can say whatever the **** he wants.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We moved Drake's brother out of Canada.

3. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Interesting you can type with his dick in your mouth.

4. RocketStan

RocketStan Member

He’s just our phase 2 PG until Amen is ready. It’s fine.. Overpaid, but its fine.

CarlosGM and cbass like this.
  5. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

Desmond Bane just got a 5 year max extension. Max contracts are going to be very common

anthony59237 likes this.
  6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Out of all the replies to my genuine question you could've come up with.

This is apparently what you settled on.

How embarrassing.

ThaRavenOfSanJack likes this.
  7. VoR

VoR Member

We need a PG and Harden would have been a bad influence, prima donna. I don't like the price, but it's not my money. He will make the rest of the team better. Interesting that Tyus Jones will be paid 1/3 of that next season--but we didn't have a Smart to trade away to get him. VanVleet will be a good mentor for Amen, which is a protection of your investment.

I see a few more moves certainly coming. KMJ seems gone. Tate seems gone. KPJ and Green can both play off ball now. Brooks in. Who else we got coming in? That's the burning question. We don't have the guards to let KPJ go, so I think he is staying.

8. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Agreed, a lot of it that some people are never going to be happy about a signing unless we get them on an absolute team friendly deal or steal them away from another team for peanuts. The entire NBA does not always operate that way. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. A lot of it depends on the agent, a lot of it depends on the teams bidding for him. Some of it is short-sightedness. FVV is an all-star and NBA champion, and one I'm sure our head coach wanted to be the new leader of this team and the veteren voice in the lockerroom. Let's let him do the thinking for us here guys... He might just see the forest for the trees... And then a lot of it is social media. We're immediately influenced by tons of reactions and overreactions, not to mention the need for instant gratifiation these days. Stone and Ime have a plan, let's just let it play out and welcome our newest Rockets to the team. I'll check back on here when FVV hits hits first walk-off buzzer beater with us for more positive vibes, yeeeesh...

9. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Maybe I'm naive

Maybe I'm oblivious

But I feel alot better about this deal than trading for Westbrook.

And with how the NBA market will continue to grow over the years, that 2nd and 3rd year may not be too expensive compared to other deals around the league in the future.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree lol.

It's a tweet, anyone expecting proper grammar from a tweet hasn't been on the site for more than 5mins. The character limits encourage speaking like this.

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

My perspective on the signing was that this is simply who Ime wanted to be his on court leader.

I don’t think signing fvf is the move that should be tied to wins and losses. I dont think fvf was brought in to significantly change the teams record all on his own. This isn’t about jump starting winning, but rather jump starting a culture. If fvf can be a catalyst for that then he’s worth the money.

If it was JUST about increasing the win total Harden would probably be a Rocket right now. I think that’s why Fvf and Lopez have been the top targets.

One thing we know is that your lead ball handler and defacto on court leader next year won’t be walking back on defense or faking ankle injuries because they missed a layup or feel like the refs didn’t give them a call.

#591 xtruroyaltyx, Jul 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
  12. VoR

VoR Member

His career projections are to peak next season and steadily decline after. Interesting. 20 points 20 assists against Charlotte (bad defense). I could see him tossing out three kick ass years to get another bag. The dude is a worker.

OremLK likes this.
  13. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jesus Christ! It’s VanVleet! 2 V’s!

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Probably feel that way because FVV is a solid player who fits into any team in the league whereas Westbrook is a heliocentric chucker (as gifted as he is/was). It's way too much money but in the end it's not our money getting spent and we're getting a guy who would make any franchise better.

Clutch City1993 and cbass like this.
  15. Arnel

Arnel Member

according to one bright mind on here last week, Tate should be our starting power forward getting 35 minutes a game :D

anthony59237 likes this.
  16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I hope I'm wrong but I hate this move

GotGame15 likes this.
  17. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

This is the 2020 version of maxing Rudy Gay. Will FVV finally show the world he’s on 2023 CP3’s level?

18. JW86

JW86 Member

Haha Americans are legitimately idiots when it comes to pronunciation and spelling. Listening to Jokic, Sengun and the like being mispronounced is one thing, but VanFLEET is just hilarious.

19. WestendMassive

VanStreet
    [​IMG]

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I knew we would have to overpay to get anyone of significance, but damn that's a bag...