1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Fred VanVleet (3 years, $130M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Fred VanVleet?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2023.
  1. YES

62.9%
  2. NO

37.1%
  1. CXbby

CXbby Member

The adults have returned, Hou has gone from a joke franchise the last 3 years to now on par with OKC as some of the best young teams in the league, with fvv and udoka leading this team and putting the young talent in position to shine and look good.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

nope. Quite pleased with the teams direction. Exactly why I wanted to move off harden when he was a declining asset 3 years ago. Short term pain. Long term gain.

ramotadab likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

FVV was the most desirable free agent on the market. Not the most talented but most desirable. Those free agents always get the max in any free agency.

This is the price you pay. Point blank.

That being said I would have preferred to use our cap space to absorb good but overplayed vets, but the fact is there wasn’t that many teams trying to shed Kyle Lowry type players/contracts to have a run at FVV and James Harden.

This is a win though for the rockets in terms of building a culture and helping the young players take that next step. He’s a great fit for what we need on the court. Happy we got who I thought was the best FA they could have gotten.

5. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

“Someone tell Kelvin Cato we want our money back!”

6. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

its been 3 years r****d. Yes, everyone but you has moved on a long time ago lmao

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. xaos

xaos Member

I would've been happy with the Lowry scenario as well, but my only fear is if we traded for Lowry, what makes us think he'd want to be here to play the role FVV is willingly (thanks $$$) coming to play? Even as a Lowry fan, Heat did have to send him back to get in shape to get ready for the season (if I remember correctly).

dobro1229 likes this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

10. tc0330

tc0330 Member

people complaining are not thinking about the long game lol....

hes gonna help elevate our REAL core, you know our top picks that are still in their early 20s and f*cking teens lmao yall need to chill

11. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Some player info on his all-star year recently and additional reactions to the signing.

zeeshan2, Astros713 and xaos like this.
  12. keeez

keeez Member

Numbers aside, I think this dude brings the intangibles we need in a leader/vet. Been watching interviews and he's one most cerebral dudes in the league from what I've seen so far. His presence is gonna have a huge positive impact on the younger guys in terms of maturity and playing smarter basketball. I think a lot of haters will change their opinions by the end of next season.

13. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

What a disaster

14. xaos

xaos Member

15. Astros713

Astros713 Member

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

love you boo. It’s your inability to remember what you’ve said that makes you so fun.

17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Except there are two major differences. OKC has a legitimate franchise star player in SGA. Houston has a guy who makes franchise player money but isn't even the same realm. The 2nd major difference is OKC has one of the best if not the best GMs in the league in Presti and Houston has well Stone.

18. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Had to use the cap space somehow. Overpaying for a 29 year old PG that plays hard on both ends of the floor isn't a bad thing.

And while a two year deal would have been ideal.. I can live with a three year deal.

The big question becomes how are we going to use the other ~$25 million we have left.

persian hoopa likes this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Marks is failing to emphasize that the 3rd year allowing a SnT also gives the Rockets the opportunity to create more cap space.

Shipping out just a few more million in the SnT could be what it takes to get Lopez, for instance.

ramotadab and xaos like this.