1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Fred VanVleet (3 years, $130M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Fred VanVleet?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2023.
  1. YES

62.9%
  2. NO

37.1%
  1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Now add context to why he’s being paid this much. It’s not just about the dollars.

slothy420, jelanit, burlesk and 3 others like this.
  2. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

He's a legit PG and not the kind that is just here to fill up the stat sheet he was a winning player in college and so far in the NBA. I know its a lot of money but we b****ed and moaning that we needed a PG and we got FVF and drafted Amen to be the heir apparent.

Arnel, IvanLCPM, Williamson and 3 others like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Soneca

Soneca Member

In all seriousness: much, much better than maxing Harden. That’s not ideal, but we’re moving forward and I like it. Good player, good shooter, good veteran leadership, not much to complain other than the 3rd year

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Like the leadership, hate the contract......but not my money and he is a Rocket so time to get on board.

DD

6. xaos

xaos Member

Not sure if posted, but Sam Vecenie breaks down how he feels about the FVV deal to Houston

7. New Jack

New Jack Member

Can't say I love the contract, but if he can impact the team in the same way that a player like Lowry impacted Toronto, it's not the worst contract ever.

Talent-wise, I think VanVleet/Green/Bari is pretty comparable to those successful Toronto teams with Lowry/Derozan/Ibaka. Just have to fill out the roster with strong role players and hope Udoka can make a strong impact on this team's defense.

Arnel and burlesk like this.
  8. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

It's a lot but as others have said it was the price of doing business, three years isn't as bad as a four or five-year commitment. It depends if his advanced analytics are true and he's worth the wins, but his rep as a player, one-time all-star, championship experience, and skills on both ends of the floor are needed here.

If we land Brooks as well I'm happy with the offseason, then it's about development and reaching the phase two goals.

Arnel and burlesk like this.
  9. WestendMassive

I can't wait to buy a Fred VanVleet jersey.

This is the most exciting day in Rockets history.

the11mingdynasty and burlesk like this.
  10. WestendMassive

Double post.

I am doubly excited to have Freddy VV on board.

Is Drake coming too?

11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

All that plus he's a certified brick layer lulz

DaDakota likes this.
  12. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

Is it a ton of money? Sure. Should they have given it to me instead? Sure (and I would’ve taken A LOT less!)

The fact is - there is some talent out there this summer, but it’s pretty weak overall, and I wouldn’t have wanted Kyrie here. In terms of growing the culture and having a proper playmaker, there really wasn’t much else to do (I don’t want Harden back here - he doesn’t provide the winning attitude that these young guys need). They have this money, and as shocking as it is to see that list of superstars FVV is making more than now, we need to get better. And we have. Right now, this team isn’t a great destination for FA. To pry these guys away, you’re going to have to pay more than a contender will. Just how it goes.

We have about 25 mil left now, and you have to think there will be quite a few trades as well. Let’s see how the roster looks when it’s settled. Remember, Udoka wanted FVV. This provides some good leadership for Amen to feed off of, as well. Looking at our depth, there’s surely trades to come. If we get Lopez and leave it at that…

FVV/Thompson
    Green/Christopher (or Green/KPJ…. But I think he’s going to be on his way out of town)
    Tate/Whitmore
    Bari/Tari - that would be a good buddy sitcom
    Sengun/Lopez

I could see TyTy/KJ/KPJ and others headed out, maybe to acquire another veteran to fill out this squad. But, I like that we are going to be a better squad. Let’s get a couple more pieces, and see where things are. Rather have that money go to FVV and Lopez than 4 mediocre/below average players.

bro2044, Arnel, mtbrays and 2 others like this.
  13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I have no clue what he’s trying to say. SMH

slothy420, AroundTheWorld and Arnel like this.
  14. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

You have to overpay to get someone to join this team willingly.

persian hoopa, Nash and burlesk like this.
  15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I loved his playoffs grit. That’s when he got on my radar. But when he did this? That’s when I knew he was a real one. He’s going to fit in the H just fine. Him and Udoka? We’re not playing around anymore.

16. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Dude couldn't shoot 40% overall last year. Barely an average 3 point shooter. I do like the assist to turnover ratio though.

To be honest I'd have rather had Kris Middleton.

DaDakota likes this.
  17. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

@studogg this neckbeard is always so mad :p

18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Trade FVV +picks for Zion or Luka in a year from now when they inevitably ask out.

19. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

#379 burlesk, Jun 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

1 year longer than I was hoping. But... clearance bin team has to buy a suit to get in to the club.