1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Fred VanVleet (3 years, $130M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Fred VanVleet?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2023.
  1. YES

62.9%
  2. NO

37.1%
  1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't see it. As mentioned elsewhere, the Rockets once played Harden and CP3 together and it also insured they had an elite playmaker on the floor for 48 minutes a game. We had great success with that. Additionally, Amen is bigger than many small forwards. With his defensive versatility, there is absolutely no reason the Rockets can't play a 3 guard lineup. Especially since Vanvleet can and has played off ball before.

As I've said elsewhere, I have concerns about the third year, but I like FVV. I'm also a big fan of guys who go undrafted and earn their place in the league the hard way. This guy has gone from being undrafted, to winning a championship, becoming an all-star and now receiving a max contract. That's the kind of guy our young guys can look to for an example. Would have loved for it to be a 2 year deal or a 3 year deal with a team option on the third (and maybe that's what it is), but I'm otherwise excited about adding FVV to the team.

2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That 3rd year is worrisome but FVV is a dog, the team just got an identity

3. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Playin, here we come!

4. kpdark

kpdark Member

Toronto gonna ask for a sign and trade

Arnel likes this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Serious question for guys like you. What were your expectations coming into the night? Do you guys really believe that as the worst team in the NBA we had leverage?? We don't even know the details of the contract yet, and even if fully guaranteed, that's the price of being a shitty team. We certainly were not going to be on any disgruntled player's short list either lol.

6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

FVV has signed max contract with 19 pts person season....Lol

Ren ason likes this.
  7. ThaRavenOfSanJack

Yes

8. invocux

invocux Member

Isn't FVV the best pg we can get right now? I'm not in love with the contract exactly but it's necessary because they decided to stuck with Kpj experiment 2 years. If they can't make their shots still then fuc. them and the coaches i'm not gonna blame fvv for that just like i wasn't blaming Kpj for Jabari bricking whole year.

Ancient Moabite and Arnel like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. mario_v

mario_v Member

They gave him the max to a player that’s not even top 50 player lol.

Ren ason and pr0wler like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

robbery in broad daylight with no mask…all caught in 4k

Invisible Fan and harold bingo like this.
  12. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

"Championship DNA" is a fallacy. Put VanVleet on the 2017-2019 Rockets, and they're barely making the playoffs, not contending against the most talented team of all-time.

Tuckmose and mtbrays like this.
  13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Overpaid for sure. But gets to show you how the FO feels about the KPJ pg experiment. Glad they’re finally on board. Better late than never.

Downtown Sniper and Arnel like this.
  14. jayfree

jayfree Member

Apparently, signing for 3 years means the Rockets and Raptors can complete this as a sign-n-trade. Meaning Houston could free up some more cash and dump KPJ

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

…the cap floor is rising - no one is dying to get off bad contracts for the next several years while the cap smoothing is happening- let alone give up significant assets to make it happen.

16. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

yup fred van vleet is about to win us a championship

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

CF: I would rather have Schroder

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The amount is whatever as we've previously talked about...3 years indicates they got desperate. It became FVV or bust...

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets had a plan. It sounded like Toronto wanted to keep FVV and were putting a solid offer. They either stayed put or got their guy. The goal is to start teaching the kids how to be good players by playing in a structured system with savvy veterans. The position we desperately needed stability has been filled by a player in his prime that knows how to take care of the ball.

Once again, I'm not thrilled about the third year, or the max, but the price of doing business. Hopefully this starts shifting the organization in a positive direction because another year of doing nothing was going to get us nowhere.