1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I have no idea what this is about but im on Crane's side

mikol13 likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Crane was given a crummy tv deal McLane created, Crane sued McLane. I mainly want Crane to win on the off hopes that money will trickle back into the Astros payroll.

IowaAstro, mikol13, rockbox and 4 others like this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would not agree that Urquidy can "turn it on"

2 starts and 5 total games and 14 2/3 IP is too small of a sample size to say he can do that anytime he needs or wants to.

Especially since he has an ERA over 6 and WHIP of over 1.650 in all ALDS and ALCS series he has pitched in.

Urquidy is a perfectly fine #5 starter that no team wants to have to start in the playoffs but can give you a punchers chance if he has to.

Wulaw Horn and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

It's probably going to start out as a challenge system but inevitably go to 100% electronic. Every person that has access to watch the game or view a GameDay app can see if it's a ball or strike, even the dugout with their iPads. The only person that matters doesn't get to see this info. I hear it said that people don't want the human element removed from the game but I'm all for the human element of pitcher versus batter.

Tomstro and Wulaw Horn like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Drayton the Chisler inflating the sales price, especially wrt the TV sports network that was a large part of the sales price, but naturally was a boondoggle.

BMoney likes this.
  6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Chapman to the Rangers

raining threes likes this.
  7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Southwest Airlines going to have a new set of Wanna Get Away commercials

8. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

What's the threshold for comparing catchers. Is it really fair to compare 165 innings with 520 innings? This past month the whole pitching staff has struggled with injuries and the long stretch, so isn't it fair to think Diaz benefited from not catching as much? The team has had a 4.38 ERA over the past 30 days in 244 innings. Diaz had a 4.66 ERA in 56 of those innings. Maldy does benefit from Valdez, so that leaves a 4.64 ERA in the remaining 155 innings

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I demand outrage a la Osuna... or a Tuve walk-off

raining threes and Stephen66 like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Not defending anybody about anything, but Catcher ERA has long been a dubious stat.

BMoney and raining threes like this.
  11. Major

Major Member

We all knew it was a terrible deal at the time though. If Crane did any due diligence, he should have known what he was getting when he bought the team. Unless McLane hid something in the process, I'm not sure Crane's legal argument here.

Also, our judicial system is ridiculous that this suit was filed in 2013 and only now is even getting approval to proceed. WTF?

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So basically even in your cherry picked scenario there's no noticeable difference between the game calling master and the young catcher who apparently struggles as a receiver?

13. Buck Turgidson

Proper revisionist history.

I believe it's been heard by about 5 different Courts, and every one of them has ruled against Drayton. As for the legal argument, the Texas Supreme Court just called it “a garden-variety fraud and breach-of-contract dispute between a private buyer and a private seller”

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep. Dubon was talking about Maldy’s homework after the game. I don’t care about homework I care about GPA.

15. Major

Major Member

Right - but are these rulings on the merits? This latest one was just a ruling to allow the lawsuit to even proceed - doesn't sound like they've even gotten to the facts of the case. I'm not saying Crane shouldn't have been able to file and pursue a lawsuit - I agree with the TSC that it's just a fraud and breach-of-contract lawsuit. I just wouldn't think he would be able to win it unless Drayton was hiding material facts during the sales process. And it's silly that it took 10 years to get to the point of "yes, you can pursue this".

raining threes and Astrofan59 like this.
  16. Major

Major Member

The Astros, it seems, believe the process matters and generates long-term benefits. Their track record suggests they might have some little clue of what they are doing vs fans who just see end results?

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Last year when you stanned for them at the deadline they did basically everything being called for. the entire league had a shot at Maldy 2 or 3 years ago (when he was a better player than this **** version) and it ended up being the market for him was so bad that he fired his agent after accepting a **** deal. If he was DFA’d today like he rightfully should be I don’t think his agent would receive a single phone call.
    he sucks. His numbers suck. He’s the worst player (practically - maybe the slightest bit of hyperbole) in the league offensively and he’s getting to the point where he’s almost as bad defensively. Anyone who honestly compares Browns performance with him vs Diaz would scoff and laugh at the idea he is a gamecalling savant.
    Yes, the Astros have been awesome while he was here. They were also awesome when he wasn’t here. They are awesome because of Altuve, Yordan, Tucker, Bregman, Springer and all the other guys.
    amazingly enough, all their pitchers pitched just as well with whoever else as they did with Maldy. Because their pitching has been awesome. Look at the numbers. If it mattered it would show up. The idea that the Astros can do no wrong or are infalliable is so incredibly stupid. We have analysis and numbers and everything points to the fact the he sucks **** through a straw (in addition to actually watching a game telling you the same) and your stanning for him and acting like hurr durr, I just get him is so stupid. Of course, Dusty has never made a mistake in your eyes so whatever. you are tiresome and cut into my enjoyment of this site. FYI you can continue to reply to me whenever you want but don’t expect a response back. I have no interest in so much as discussing the time of day with you. You are boring in the extreme in addition to being wrong.

18. Major

Major Member

You mean when they went and got a bunch of players that everyone raved about, who then sucked all season, and then Dusty largely benched them, used the players the fans hated, and won a World Series with an absolutely dominant playoff run where those players came up big? Or when he kept playing Dubon when people wanted him released and now he's a critical part of the team?

And at no point last year did I defend or attack them at the deadline. I didn't think they needed middle tier players. I thought they added some useful depth but otherwise it was meh and wasn't going to change much. But also, they were the best team in baseball and I didn't think they needed to do anything, unlike most people here who were freaking out about every potential issue, as they are today.

No one makes you respond to me - your posts are just as obnoxious and repetitive (I'm not the one that repeatedly complains here - every one of my obnoxious posts is in response you to posting the same repetitive thing too). For someone that has no interest in responding, you just spend a lot of time ... responding.

I mean, we could go with your route and just look at GPA and end up stuck with Wilson Contreras for the next 5 years because we ignored all the warnings about him as a catcher. Has it ever occurred to you that the Astros see things you don't? Maybe Diaz is simply not very good at the "homework" side of things and is OK at catcher *because* he only has to do it once a week and has extra time to prep? Or maybe, since we know he doesn't WANT to be a catcher, this is how the Astros have figured out a workable compromise. Who knows the reasoning, but you and I certainly do not have basic information to evaluate it.

The whole "I see the numbers and am now a super-expert on the topic" is foolish and dumb. It suggests that you've never actually been in a position of leadership or management. Numbers don't tell the whole story (work ethic, leadership, etc all do play a role in organizational success), and even if they didn't, the numbers people use over time change. We look back at 20 years ago, and the numbers used to measure players (like BA) seem foolish today. We know catcher metrics suck today. But you seem to believe the team that has built it's success on looking beyond common metrics should rely on common and agreed-upon-terrible metrics.

#2398 Major, Jul 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    xcrunner51 likes this.
  19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

If find it hard to believe that your opinion on this matter is based on anything substantive whatsoever. The idea that any layperson not intricately involved in media rights litigation would know enough about this to claim Crane should’ve known is a little absurd.

I agree w your second point but only in an ideal world sense. This stuff is wildly complex. Nevermind all the stalling that is done.

Anyways I hope Crane clobbers Drayton and gets some extra spending money out of it.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yainer Diaz had a great June.

.310 avg
    62 double pace
    39 home run pace
    93 rbi pace

Jose Abreu as well

.292 avg
    40 double pace
    34 home run pace
    143 rbi pace