1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsflash: FVV and Brooks at 2yr/$80m & $40m are BAD contracts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

That would be betting on himself. He can get another max 4 year contract at age 31 with even more money than this. Leading the worst team of the league into the playoffs could be the road to this. And remember: it is a lot easier to bet on yourself, if you get 5-10 million more per year than your current team is willing to pay you…

Magicsaint likes this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Regarding free agency 2025, Sengun and Green will have cap holds equal to 250% or 300% of their 2024 salary.

For Green, this will be 30+ million, for Sengun, 13+ million.

It's unclear how much the cap will jump the next two seasons, but we could still have significant space in that offseason.

*Note - this is all old CBA, I haven't learned the new one yet.

[​IMG]

RollingWave likes this.
  3. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Yeah, that makes sense.

4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

But we have to spend this money on someone! FVV can play off ball just as well as on ball. He’s gonna bring maturity and stability to the locker room! He’s won a ring, the experience he brings will be really valuable to our young guys. Doesn’t mean he will take shots away from green or take the ball out of Amens hands all the time!

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I believe they have to spend somewhere around $37 million to get to the team minimum/salary cap floor. The team must spend money. Someone correct me on that number if I'm wrong.

Who would you allocate it towards? FVV and Lopez seem to make the most sense in terms of team fit and potential contract fit.

#105 robbie380, Jun 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
  6. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

The only way to ensure you won't have overpaid players is to only sign guys to minimums and draft rookies.

That will guarantee you to be efficient, but also guarantee you to suck.

FVV isn't a max MAX player surely, but once you factor in years, and roster spots, and what type of player this team needs, it is actually pretty logical.

FWIW, other mocks have him take like a 4/120 type of deal from more contending teams like the lakers.

ramotadab, Losmi_34 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  7. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Brooks is a smokescreen unless he signs 2 year deal with team option on the second year...in that case he becomes an asset.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

why can’t we get good players to sign for good deals on the worst team in the nba? :(

ramotadab, apollo33 and clos4life like this.
  9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Great point.

10. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

And about the dollar value - remember that we have to get at least to 90% of the cap. I much rather spend that in 2 players, than in 4 - we already have too many players on the team. The key are short contracts or flexible contracts.

And in the end I would look at it like this:

FVV is worth around 30 million per year. To get him to sign a short term contract, we have to increase that by at least 5 million - and to get him to go to a rebuilding team, that wants him as veteran leadership without being part of the long term plan, we have to sweeten the deal by another 5 millione. That's money we wouldn't spend otherwise this season anyways.

ramotadab and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  11. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Raptor fans have wanted FVV out for a long time. Pretty much says it all.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Dillon Brooks. Lol. What the hell is wrong with the Rockets.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

The irony in this is that as a reward, OP gets to witness both sign for what he's b****ing about lol

anthony59237 likes this.
  15. Landry's Tooth

I don't understand the Brooks or FVV deals rumored...

FVV is solid but not spectacular. I would prefer someone via trade with more upside and less cap space. He's a solid shooter but poor inside the the 3pt line. His assists aren't crazy high. To mee he's a 20 million guy. I would rather be a team that collects assets at the deadline to facilitate cap space and get someone cheaper.

Brooks might be good for culture, but he seems like a bench guy ultimately taking minutes from potential starters.

16. Landry's Tooth

Look at Deangelo Russell and FVV side by side.

Rusell looks like a much better player and the Lakers don't want to do 67 over 2 year extension.

Russell has 1 more year of nba experience and is 2 years younger than FVV. He shot much better from 3 and 2. He gets assists. He has better size.

Give me Russell for 2 years 65 million and make year 2 a player option so if he has a great year, he can leave and get a better deal elsewhere and we get cap space back.

He doesn't have the ring FVV does. He has seen a lot of the league and different coaches with basically 5 teams in 8 years.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Man this is crazy. All you are looking at is basic stats if you think those two are similar players.

I swear to god man, people have no idea what a PG is supposed to do anymore. Can't tell if it's because people don't actually watch games anymore or what.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We said the same about Chris Paul and look what he did for the two young teams he played for

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

I really understand the hiatus you took from CF's. Now that you seemingly are back, I can see why another hiatus may be in store lol

napalm06 and justtxyank like this.
  20. Damion Laverne

LOL at all of this.

I'd rather trade for some vet contracts

kspires999 likes this.