1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsflash: FVV and Brooks at 2yr/$80m & $40m are BAD contracts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

1st round Rookie contracts are 5 with the last year being that RFA. And in this theoretical 2 year deals for whoever would not overlap with that as they would be off the books in the summer 25’

roslolian likes this.
  2. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Where do I say the new contract counts against 24/25 cap? I was correcting the mistake of the “5 year rookie contract” and just laying down expectations about the 2025 offseason.

3. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Nope. RFA is Restricted Free Agency. I think you are just having fun spamming other posters. Well played if so…

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nope it’s still considered a 5 year deal. Nowhere does it say a player always gets extended before that 5th year. We just hope they have played well enough before that 5th year to deserve an extension of some sort. But The team still controls that player for 5 years if they choose to pick up the QO of that 5 year contract in year 5 and wait it out to the end

5. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Actually it is a two year guaranteed contract with team options for year 3&4. If they pick up both options, after year 4, if there is not an extensions prior to that time, and if they make a qualifying offer, then the team has the right to match any offers in a NEW contract. You are right that they have some measure of control past year 4, but the terms of the deal will be determined by the NEW contract.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I still consider it a contract that the team controls until they decide to make a decision in that 5 year span which at the earliest would be in year 4. We’re just going through semantics basically.

7. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Semantics which are important for discussing what will likely happen the next two off seasons. Lots of if/then decisions to think through…

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What exactly is in 2 years? Phase 4.

[​IMG]

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe you didn't get it the Rockets right now have a roster full of players on rookie contracts. It doesn't matter how much we spend, what's important is the YEARS cuz if we are tied on contracts then we won't be able to resign our rookies to their extensions.

Example:

Brook Lopez: 2 years 35M per
    Brook Lopez: 5 years 15M per

The Rockets are better off with contract A because in 2 years time Green, Sengun, Christopher and Garuba are up for extensions or will be RFAs. At that time you want the flexibility of capspace over having a 39 yr old or w/e Brook Lopez on the books for 3 more years.

Kinda funny you don't understand the cap implications but called it stupid anyway. And made a new thread about it too lol.

kspires999 likes this.
  10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I can’t express enough how little of a **** I give about John Hollingers rankings! FVV is some where between 11-14 to me. But I don’t even care about that either! He’s perfect for what we need, regardless of where he ranks!

roslolian likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Don't care about his ratings either.

Just used it because it lists players in a general order of best to worst. There may be some minor disagreements, but overall it gives a good visual of best to worst players at a position.

Regarding FVV specifically, I'll pass. I hope they don't sign him, but it won't be the end of the world if the do. I think Amen is going to be a pretty good floor general early on so I'm ok with not adding a mediocre guy like Van Fleet to lead the way.

13. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

[​IMG]

Ancient Moabite and Believe It! like this.
  14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Big yes on VV.

Big hell NO on Brooks.

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rockets overpaying and trying to bribe Free Agents.

Does any solid Free Agent Veteran Bench is interested.

Brown from the Nuggets is a Free Agent

16. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

I prefer EG instead of Brooks. Let’s get FVV, EG and BL

17. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Gordon?

Yeah I'd prefer him too over Brooks due to DB being a DBag, but he offers no D and besides, no way he comes back here. Dude was miserable the last couple.

BamBam likes this.
  18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

When you are the worst team in the league and have a lot of young talent, you need to BEG and OVERPAY for talented players. You can get bargain players but it’s going to be a terrible season. You win in this league with talent! So if Stone and Coach Ime have to get on all FOURS and bark like a dog, for FVV and Lopez to sign with Houston….you do it. Rockets fan stop being prideful! We need these players to help with our young talent and to win games this year….it’s hard to win in the NBA…..BEG!

19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

When you are the worst team in the league and have a lot of young talent, you need to BEG and OVERPAY for talented players. You can get bargain players but it’s going to be a terrible season. You win in this league with talent! So if Stone and Coach Ime have to get on all FOURS and bark like a dog, for FVV and Lopez to sign with Houston….you do it. Rickets’s fan stop being prideful! We need these players to help with our young talent and to win games this year….it’s hard to win in the NBA…..BEG!

20. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Do not mind FVV. He is only 29 and can give 20/7 a game and this team needs a much-experienced PG. Not a bad deal for only 2 years that helps this young team develop. I would take him over Harden who most likely would want a longer contract. But I do not think he would want to play for the Rockets only for a 2-year deal.

#100 Magicsaint, Jun 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2023