1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsflash: FVV and Brooks at 2yr/$80m & $40m are BAD contracts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. thekad

thekad Member

LMAO, HI Mana explained it to you again and you’re still too illiterate to understand. This is actually amazing.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

he didn't explain anything.

What's amazing is your silly false claim that Green/Sengun will be on their 2nd contracts within the next 2 years. LMFAO. and you're literally going on about it. hahahahahah. not understanding how they're not even eligible for extensions on their rookie deal until year 4. oh and what a coincident in 2 years, that'll be year 4 LOL

#62 YOLO, Jun 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Worrying about possibly losing out on FA next year isn't a good reason to limit Udoka's ability to coach the young guys this year. If Udoka thinks he can teach better with FVV and Lopez you sign them. The future is the players we picked not random FAs we might not even sign next offseason.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Fair Enough. I wouldn't take him over any of those guys, but going off of your rankings that means you'd have him as the 13th best pg in the league.

You realize that's right around average right?

5. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

I am dumbfounded on the Vanfleet max when there are other articles saying he will command 25m to 30m per season. Why TF would Houston pay him 2yr max at like 82M?

What am I missing here? Wouldn't 2yrs/65m or 70M get it done? That would leave us some room to go after Bowen or Reaves. I am ok not getting Lopez if the price is to high. I'd take a shot at Plumlee/Poeltl/Bryant/Powell

Who else that needs a starting PG has the money to pay him?

And please forgive me if I am way off because I do not watch a bunch of Toronto basketball?

GotGame15 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  6. thekad

thekad Member

Someone save this man. I’m actually getting second hand embarrassment.

Cap space in itself is a positive asset. Giving that up for negative assets is a bad idea whether or not the Rockets sign a worthwhile free agent next summer or not.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're snitching on yourself. that's the embarrassment.

Please tell everyone in what reality green/sengun will be on their 2nd contracts in year 3 and year 4 of their 5 year rookie contracts

8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

An asset for what? What do you envision the Rockets doing with unused cap space?

9. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Facepalm.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No, I don't think it does. You have to pay handsomely for that kind of risk.

Let's say FVV is being offered 4/120 mill by the Raptors or Lakers

Now let me ask would you rather have 1000 dollars guaranteed or $550 + a 50% chance at $500 more? The first one is the easy choice for almost everybody, tell me when you get to the point of taking option B

83.6 million out of 120 million is roughly 70%, so it's the equivalent of $700 (+ 50% at $500 more) in the scenario above. There's a chance FVV loses out on 35 million by taking this kind of deal with one injury, you have to pay for that risk, 5 or 10% isn't going to cut it.

jdiggidy likes this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

As a PG sure, but he brings much more than that. I value that way more than him as a player.

12. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

There are definitely still some intriguing options in the 2024 FA class, just based on the age of the top free agents and how a lot of them are attached to situations that would facilitate them changing teams.

For 2024:
    • Jaylen Brown is obviously the prize, though I would suspect that he just signs the supermax and requests a trade a couple years down the line if he's truly unhappy in Boston, rather than leave directly.
    • Pascal Siakam, OG Anunoby, and Gary Trent are all FAs at the same time; if Toronto gets off to a slow start under their new coach, do they consider dealing any of them in order to get some value back and start a rebuild in full?
    • Dejounte Murray seems possibly gettable if the Hawks don't improve substantially this year; is he going to feel a lot of loyalty to a middling play-in team?
    • It seems unthinkable that Klay Thompson would move, but the Warriors dynasty is clearly living on borrowed time, and depending on what happens with Draymond this summer, we'll see how serious of a constraint will the second apron be.
    • Tyus Jones and Monte Morris are almost certainly going to be moved off of Washington at some point, and both also fill a similar role to FVV as a veteran mistake-free PG.
    • Anthony Black would seemingly pave Markelle Fultz's path out of Orlando if you want to gamble on upside and youth.
    • Sabonis seems about as likely to leave Sacramento as Jokic leaving Denver when he was a FA, but he technically qualifies.
    • Philly also has Tobias Harris and De'Anthony Melton as FAs, not great fits for the Rockets, but guys I personally really like on the right contract.
    • Porzingis could be in line for a big deal if he can stay healthy for a second consecutive year in Boston.
    • You also have very solid role player bigs like Hartenstein, Valanciunas, Bol Bol.
    • And there will always be some guys who pop late after not getting a rookie extension, though I'm always bearish on any RFA changing teams.
    Ultimately I'm not willing to wait for the chance to sign any of these guys, but it should not be dismissed off-hand when considering FA options this summer.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

The best FA’s on that list will get crossed off in less than a week. 2024 is even worse than this years FA class. I can easily dismiss next years options and rightfully so

14. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I heard the Lakers are trying to trade for VanVleet for D’Angelo Russell? Russell’s contract is at 27 million so that would not work. I do not want to outbid ourselves I would give him 35 million for 2 years and remind him of Texas-no income tax state.

15. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I heard the Lakers are trying to trade for VanVleet for D’Angelo Russell? Russell’s contract is at 27 million so that would not work. I do not want to outbid ourselves I would give him 35 million for 2 years and remind him of Texas-no income tax state.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'd rather trade for Monte Morris or Caruso than pay
    $40M per year for a guy that put up KPj numbers
    last season.

F V V got more assists because he played next to Siakim, Gary Trent jr,
    oG Anunoby and Scottie Barnes.

BamBam and kspires999 like this.
  17. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Jeez. Rookie contracts last 4 years. They become extension eligible next summer. One or both will sign extensions and be against the cap going into free agency in summer 2025

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  18. Risingred

Risingred Member

How could those be bad contracts? If it doesn't work out, it becomes expiring after the first year. I wouldn't mind those contracts as long as they don't have a player option attached in the third year.

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

But the extension doesn't kick in until year 5. They will make what they are scheduled to make in year 4 if their club options are picked up.

Here's SGAs contract for reference:
    2018-19 Player Cash Earnings $3,375,360
    2019-20* Player Cash Earnings $3,705,863
    2020-21 Player Cash Earnings $4,141,320
    2021-22 Player Cash Earnings $5,495,532

2022-23 Player Cash Earnings $30,913,750
    2023-24 Player Cash Earnings $33,386,850
    2024-25 Player Cash Earnings $35,859,950
    2025-26 Player Cash Earnings $38,333,050
    2026-27 Player Cash Earnings $40,806,150

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member