1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agent Target: Fred VanVleet (UFA)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Apr 18, 2023.

1. a time to chill

I thought I read that the Raptors don’t have the cap space to sign both. They are likely to keep Poeltl and let VanVleet walk.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is he a FA?

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

RFA

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The Mavs waived him after 9 games because of his knee. He's washed.

persian hoopa and saleem like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

They didn't want to risk paying him guaranteed money because of the knee injuries but he wasn't waived because of another injury. He played well when he got playing time. The Rockets need veterans so an invite to training camp or a contract for the minimum wouldn't hurt. A washed Kemba put up 32 his last start and would be much more valuable to have on the team than Nix. I'd rather the Rockets do that and/or sign Patrick Beverley along with, Kuzma, Brooks or whoever else than to give all that money to FVV.

7. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Then he can come off the bench. Or don't sign him, idc. But say no to giving a frickin $40 million/year contract to a declining player who isn't even really a point guard. If you're going to overpay someone because of how well he can shoot then go for Reaves. He shot 44% from behind the arc as a starter last season. I don't believe giving that amount of money to FVV is good for the league. A 2 year $65 million contract is better (still too much) but a 2 year contract $85 million? Hell no.

DaDakota likes this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I gotta disagree here. Next offseason is the last chance for the Rockets to use their cap space to add a real star either thru FA or a trade before Green & Sengun are extended ..... having FVV at $40m means you have to move him to open that space up and that can cost considerable assets.

I don't care to add anyone who isn't expected to be around when they are contending.

No short term fixes ....

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

FVF is NOT a 40 million player. Gotta agree here.

Rockets are in a tough spot. With tilman at the helm, we are prolly going to make moves to make moves.

Stone needing to secure his job might ultimately have him make a move that's bad for the franchise .

Its a bad situation IMO .

We need some sort of short term fix. If we dont bring in any competition , I dont see the young guys getting the internal improvement necessary. We need enough of a team to be in games and for winning to matter.

I dont know WHO we need to bring in . There are trades to consider as well. GM'ing is a tough job , but its time to shine or get let go for stone .

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

FVV on a two year deal doesn't impact Green or Sengun. In the scenario that either or both get extended in their 4th year, it wouldn't kick in until their 5th season of 2025 and FVV is already off the books and has no bearing on them whatsoever

The real worry is if his deal goes beyond 2 years that could potentially coincide with the above scenario of Green/Sengun

11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Agreed. Anyone else have the feeling this move alone makes us a play-in team? He’s a calming presence for the team.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

2 year max for FVV makes sense. That's an overpay on a per-year basis, but it's still a very tradable expiring contract in a year and a half at the deadline. He brings defense, volume three point shooting (above average over his career), well above average playmaking, and championship credentials. Big upgrade over KPJ as a playmaker and defender.

I wouldn't mind just starting Amen but if we must bring him off the bench as a rookie this makes a lot of sense. If he's ready in a year it should be no problem to move FVV to a contender. KPJ can be a sparkplug off the bench backing up 2-3 alongside Amen at the point, which will be a much better role for him.

xaos likes this.
  13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I wonder if this a smokescreen and they are actually targeting Kyrie

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I guess I’m higher on FVV than some. I see a guy a year or two removed from being an all star, and still in his prime. I see a floor leader with a good ball IQ who doesn’t need to dominate the ball to be effective. A good long range shooter and above average defender. A real lockerroom leader who commands respect because he’s a champion and he earned everything the hard way. He’s a great person if you are trying to create a tough, winning culture. I don’t think Amen is ready to be handed the keys on day one, and furthermore if we are moving towards a meritocracy, he’s not beating out a good vet anyway.

I also think that he will impact winning and I think more winning will be good for our player development, culture and confidence. To me he’s actually worth signing for 3 yrs for lesser money, because he can play off ball. But if we are giving him a 2-yr deal, at max money I think that’s fine too because he’d be a critical piece for helping us pivot into a winning franchise and we need that badly. Just my opinion.

moonnumack and Hank McDowell like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No idea why Stone wants to stay in the NBA, I guess it is the big bucks and where he can make a fool of himself.

He could work in any law firm.

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Bobbie Marks on ESPN alluded that Kyrie is the backup plan if no Harden or Van Vleet. :eek:

Fulgore likes this.
  17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

IMG_6457.gif

Guess you never know, but I’d be surprised if that’s what the Rockets want to do. The team needs strong leaders and not sure KI fits the bill.

BamBam and Fulgore like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Championship credentials only work for teams that are on the verge of being great - teams that already won 49 to 52+ plus teams and not 22 win teams.

It is really just fooling casuals into believing this is a Playoff team.

Van Vleet did not help Toronto that much last year which ultimately got Nurse fired.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Fulgore and Snow Villiers like this.
  20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The Suns, while funny, make some sense. They’d probably send Ayton to Dallas in a sign-and-trade.