1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NBA Draft/1-20] Cam Whitmore, F, Villanova

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2023.

Tags:
?

Do you like the selection of Cam Whitmore?

This poll will close on Jun 21, 2024 at 9:15 PM.
  1. YES

98.0%
  2. NO

2.0%
  1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

The Good...
    - Jumper looks pure and really nice arc on his shot (I love it!)
    - Pretty decent handles
    - Good first step and gets by defenders easily
    - Uses body really well on drives, get subtle separation to make finishing easier--looks like a vet at this
    - Explosive dunker and good cutter (Sengun's replacement for KMJ?)
    - Great anticipation on defense in passing lanes

The Bad...
    - Decision-making... he's 18, from bad decisions on the court to stupid jokes, this should iron itself out as he learns to be a pro
    - Playmaking... hopefully Ime teaches ball movement and he gets more comfortable
    - Gets lost on defense, concentration lapses

Overall: I'm super excited about this pick. The "confluence" of reasons he dropped appear to be a gift from the Basketball Gods for not getting the #1 in three tries. Here's hoping the young man takes that "drop chip" and turns it into gold.

#361 Shark44, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#362 zeeshan2, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This season will be interesting

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Comatose. So, what? Dude was asleep/unconscious during interviews? lol. Did they mean "catatonic"? Man, screw it. Let's see how he does - damn "what was". I'm ready for "what will be". Especially since a lot of those picks around #20 are bound to be flops anyway.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What's a good comp for Whitmore?

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Me on the 8 foot goals at the elementary school.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

On the field I have two (and a half) worries about Whitmore. His lacking assists and really passing overall, that he doesn’t get to the FT line despite his game being centered around bullying his way to the rim and his lack of a midrange/floater game.

Those are the reasons I didn’t want him at 4. I would have been fine with trading up for him at 11. I am ecstatic about getting him at 20.

Little Bit likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I mean he’s 19. We’ll spend one whole season polishing his game under Udoka, then he’ll be 20.

I don’t know what’s true about what’s being reported but I know Udoka wouldn’t be excited about a lazy player. Kids parents seem like solid, mature, hardworking mentors which always forms the bulk of a persons early work ethic.

#370 Mathloom, Jun 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Antman went through a patch when he doubted himself and came out an All Star.

At least you have a power player after 2 drafts of pogosticks.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

he is 18 and will be 19 in a few weeks. He will spend the season his rookie season at 19 then be 20 going into the next one.

Yung-T, gfab-babyboi and Mathloom like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is it possible that he was high during the visits?

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Fixed it. Still amazing!

peleincubus likes this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

One of our posters dropped a Corey Maggette comp on him, and I can totally see that. Two other comps I've heard are Jaylen Brown and Rudy Gay.

I don't see Anthony Edwards level ceiling for Whitmore. Similar physical traits, but Ant is a much smarter and more decisive player. Whitmore's lack of court vision and processing speed/feel for the game is going to limit his potential, I think. If he can buy in and become a very good defensive player, he could be a #2 scoring option on a championship contender, but you'll have to be careful how you use him on offense because I don't think he's ever going to be more than a play finisher/go get a bucket at the end of the shot clock type of guy. (Hope I'm wrong.)

Caesar and coachbadlee like this.
  16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This is why some franchises and companies fail. They look too deep into the interview process of things and dismiss a candidate based on elements that sometimes don't factor in the negative way you think it does. Some elements can be dealt with in a way where you end up still getting the upside and higher reward your seeking. There's no perfect player. Question is what can you deal with and what can you develop in relation to what you want.

Drift Monkey and BigShasta like this.
  17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I wondered abut that. Especially after seeing the vaped during practice comment (rumor). Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised.

Yung-T and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a lot to like with Cam Whitmore. He has tremendous burst on his drives to the basket. I’m not sure how he didn’t draw a lot of fouls in college. That Villanova team was a bit of a mess after Jay Wright retired the year before and missed the NCAA tournament. His perimeter shooting looks promising. He is developing his pull up, side step and step back shooting package. I love his high steal rate. I’m not overly concerned about the low assists yet. We will see what that looks like with more talented teammates. Best case scenario: a better shooting Jimmy Butler or Jaylen Brown. Worst case scenario: a better shooting Issac Okoro.

Drift Monkey, Denovo and ArtV like this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Houston actually pulled the first pick and the NBA begged them to let VW go to Spurs. Now a top 5-ish talent is available 15 picks later?
    [​IMG]

Absolute 4D chessmate by Refill Stone.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  20. Rokman

Rokman Member

Sounds like he needs a mentor. . . . . Harden.