1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NBA Draft/1-4] Amen Thompson, G, Overtime Elite

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of Amen Thompson?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2023.
  1. YES

81.9%
  2. NO

18.1%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's a Rocket so I'm a huge fan now. I've shared my concerns, but once you become a Rocket you earn my respect on Day 1 and can only lose it from that point onwards. I have faith in the coaches we have from Engelland's staff improving his shooting gradually. I have faith in added strength and Udoka's coaching in improving his layups and finishing at the rim at the NBA level. If he does these two things, we are looking at a generational star.

Pairs well with JG/Jabari/Sengun. Doesn't need a lot of shots. Has looked Lebron-like with his passing at times. Seems hard working, mature and willing to play defense with his excellent frame.

Another tremendous addition to our core. Green, Sengun, Jabari, Amen, Whitmore, Eason, Garuba, Tyty and Christopher is such an impressive core, the Rockets have drafted SO well. It's going to be amazing to watch this squad under Udoka one of the most talented coaches in the NBA.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's so funny we've drafted 9 young players across all positions and we still have people saying we NEED to sign 3 of our 5 starters for next season lol.

The Rockets obviously believe in their picks. The only things ABSOLUTELY necessary for playoff contention that we are missing on this squad are some veteran floor general play and some veteran rim protection. Everything else is a want, not a need.

Drift Monkey and Dacamel like this.
  3. 9baller

9baller Member

After thinking about it for a bit I am very happy with the pick. Of course, you are looking for a potential star with any top 5 pick, and Amen has that ceiling. This is a star-driven league, and if you don't have one, you try to get one.

xaos and Dacamel like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He seems like a humble, well-spoken kid. I like that.

Not sure I get the same vibes from Whitmore. Let's see.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  5. Rochut

Rochut Member

Whitmore hopefully had a pretty big wake-up call by falling and will be receptive to Udoka's incoming attitude adjustment program. Ben Sullivan - you have your work cut out for you with Amen - get to work!! This draft worked out as well as it realistically could have - Scoot was never going to fall to 4.

saleem and Yung-T like this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm glad Stone didn't go after PG13 for the 4th pick. Amen Thompson has a long way to go. He might shine brightly after a couple of years.
    PG is injured and he doesn't fit the team needs.

Dacamel likes this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think Whitmore is a tough player that's needed with our more finesse guys. Tough love might bring out the best from him. I believe Udoka is the right man for the job. No disrespect for S. Silas. He's too soft and inexperienced to be a head coach.

xaos, Dobbizzle, bmelo and 4 others like this.
  8. Astros713

Astros713 Member

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The people most motivated to believe they've done a bang up job in the rebuild - despite some evidence to the contrary, mostly in terms of being somewhere between laughingstock and afterthought on the court- believe they've done great.

Aside from being a @Mathloom post - obvious flaws here are obvious.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

“I know I will be a great shooter”

Drift Monkey and HTownTmac1 like this.
  11. lalala902102001

I think Amen is a while away from contributing but I like his attitude. He’s got the physical abilities to be a star. If he can put in the work to fix his jump shot he will be worth the risk.

NewAge likes this.
  12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If you sign a veteran floor general after drafting the best passer in the draft with the 4th pick, you're doing something wrong.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Amen is very raw. Like Green has more secure and refined handle than Amen at this moment. Being a willing passer isn't enough to be a full time pg. He's going to need some development time before he can be a full time pg. In the mean time he'll probably play a more playmakibg role at the wing/sf position.

14. bmelo

bmelo Member

the smaller and weaker you are, the more handle you need. JG vas very thin and weak that's why his handle was needed more. Amen might be raw but hell that mf is strong even when skinny. When he bulks up a little he will be a walking mismatch

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I doubt Amen is much stronger than Green especially at their current stages. Green just averaged 6 fta per game at age 20 and surprisingly fights through contact well.

Anyways the more secure handle party is needed for a full time pg because they are going to be the ones to bring the ball up the court during high stakes full court press situations that require security.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Dawg

Christopher and TyTy are not part of the core. Christopher probably isn’t an nba player.

and we need more of these players to be consistently good at the nba level before we say the team has drafted well. Right now sengun and probably Tari are only ones who don’t have major bust potential still.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Finding dependable shooters would be nice.

justtxyank likes this.
  18. j@amc

j@amc Member

I'm not sure Green has a better handle than Amen, but backup PG is the role that I see Amen stepping into as the season opens.

I've read some speculation that Amen might play on the wing or at SF. Not sure that he has enough strength to play many minutes at that spot. But against PGs, he'll have an athletic advantage on almost every possession.

Can't wait to see what our break will look like with Amen at the controls.

19. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

That poster you quoted might be the biggest homer on this forum.

I have no idea how anyone can have complete confidence in our staff and players at this stage.

Yung-T and SamFisher like this.
  20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously the shooting is a major concern, but it seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders and will work at it.