1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Kevin Porter Jr.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 18, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I asked because he you said there are other options besides KPJ that where able to play PG on last yrs team. So, I'm curious, who?

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Who are the other options?

3. PatBev

PatBev Member

I assume everybody but the core 4 and KPJ will be traded this off-season. Additional 16million+ and minutes for vets

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I didn’t say that. I said there are young players who showed more promise despite struggling at times.

It’s ok there’s nothing wrong with taking time to develop, it just doesn’t suit our core to have a still-developing PG unless they have superstar potential.

5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I understand your point. I don't agree because I don't think you need a SUPERSTAR PG to win a championship or to go with our young core.

Udoka wants the ball in Sengun's hands more for one, so we need more of a combo guard, similar to Jamal Murray.

To me an All - Star caliber PG, similar to CP3 will need the ball in their hands and they would want to playmake.

You look at Denver, everything runs through Jokic. Nobody else on in their starting unit is considered a playmaker.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly KPJ fits the role of Murray to a TEE......same skillset almost identical really......and he fits Sengun as well......

So does Green, but I have said for years that KPJ is a hedge against Green busting - and that the org may have to choose one over the other....if you had to choose today, KPJ is the better player.

I wonder if the org would be bold enough to do something like number 4 pick and Green for number 2 pick and a future first.

DD

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thank you for agreeing to use common sense regarding KPJ. Common sense says he is capable of being critiqued just like literally everyone else in the league.

I already answered that in the post you're quoting. I'll copy and paste it below.

As for what I expected of KPJ - not much of anything. But he has shown an ability to be a good spot up shooter and secondary playmaker. He has the makings of a non-ballhandler perimeter scorer off the bench. And in that way, he can help a team.

So, I had no expectations. It looked from the beginning that he wasn't best suited to be a PG, but it was worth a shot since we were trying to lose anyway. He has shown me he's an NBA player. That's a good thing. I'm happy about that. He has not shown me he could develop into a PG. He has shown me he could develop into a quality bench player - and that's still a good thing to have on a team.

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Very interesting! I would keep the starting unit as is and add a 6'10 player who can shoot above 35% from the 3pt line.; Kyle Kuzma, Christian Wood, or someone similar. That would give us additional size along the frontline, similar to Michael Porter Jr.

And if Sengun has grown, as Tari has said, I really don't think their roster is as bad or far off from competing.

9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Very interesting! I would keep the starting unit as is and add a 6'10 player who can shoot above 35% from the 3pt line.; Kyle Kuzma, Christian Wood, or someone similar. That would give us additional size along the frontline, similar to Michael Porter Jr.

And if Sengun has grown, as Tari has said, I really don't think their roster is as bad or far off from competing.

Roxfan4lyfe and DaDakota like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont take it so serious. Once you've contributed on this site for a while you understand that these emotional exchanges come from fans who care about the team enough to get worked up like that in the first place. As KPJ Fan #1 I also acknowledge his issues reading a court and satisfying the traditional expectations of fans. I still see a treasure trove of untapped potential and have hope that Udoka will extract the most not only from KPJ but the rest of this young team. If it all clicks we could have something special brewing.

cmoak1982, Mathloom, maj21 and 2 others like this.
  11. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

I’m all about the team as a fan, and I’m not a hater KPJ is a good player he might not be great but he’s good got more in his bag then Jalen right now, all I see is a bunch of cry babies on here, alone with JG only fans plus Sengun only fans which is stupid to me.. This team might do something special with Ime as the head coach, just wait and see hopefully they starts winning some games so the hate can stop

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

People confuse criticism of KPJ as a primary playmaker / point guard with hating on him as a player. Outside of Sengun only fans, I haven't actually seen anyone wanting to rid ourselves of KPJ simply for the sake of it. I myself (and most others) have all consistently stated that as comedically tragic as our offense was with KPJ at the helm, we all want to see what KPJ can be capable of under an actually good HC who will hopefully put him in a role that actually amplifies his strengths instead of his weaknesses. Assuming he stays out of his own way and actually applies himself on D, there is no way he doesn't have a role on this team. Last year was a huge setback in terms of overall player development.

Roxfan4lyfe likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Being a fan of the team and simply not hating KPJ will be enough for the ridiculous cultists to declare you a "KPJ stan". Yes, it really is that absurd.

That's why I'll laugh at those types, and sometimes I'll engage with them to call them out on some of their more blatant lies, but I'll never take them seriously.

14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Says the "fan" that $hits on almost every dude on the roster. Great fan you are no doubt.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, so you're upset that I "$hit" on a lot of the players on one of the worst teams in the league.....Isn't the fact that nearly every player on the team is awful justification to criticize them?

Like, for example, let's say that we had a guard who was absolutely terrible on both ends of the court. An inefficient chucker with no bag on one end and one of the worst defenders in the entire league on the other. If we assume this is true, would it be wrong to criticize that player for it....or even point it out?

Is that enough to get your tears flowing?

How about hypothetically if we had a "3 and D" player who shot 30% from 3 who only rarely showed up on "D"? Can that be acknowledged or criticized?

Being a fan doesn't mean you have to be a blind homer. I'm an Astros fan and I'm HIGHLY critical of Dusty and Montero right now....does that make me a "bad fan" in your eyes?

Should a good fan just sit back and thoughtlessly consume product? Is that really the argument you are making?

16. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

LOL.. "get my tears flowing? No bag"

There's a reason why the majority of this board thinks your an idiot. That reason being... They know you're an idiot.

(Not that your dumb. I doubt that. You just choose to defend a narrative that comes across as idiotic 95% of the time. I'm sure you just like to rub things wrong and watch the outcome. Might've enjoyed killing ants as a kid. Whatever floats your boat. Goes along with "the great" idea.)

Keep on keeping on. I know you will.

anthony59237 and BamBam like this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

KPJ is just missing the brain, leadership, and quickness that Murray provides.

anthony59237 likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

See this is why I can't take you seriously, you didn't even attempt to counter anything I said, you just threw a tantrum about it.

Even worse, you didn't even answer what I said.....and I think we know the reason why. You know you're wrong, but you're too committed to a schtick to undermine it by answering honestly.

It's okay, you know I don't take it seriously.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

It doesn't matter what I come back with. You want to beat down whatever you can. Always the smartest dude in the room. Blasting rookies or second year kids as busts all before they can legally drink.

Your whole "the guard with no bag"... Give me a break. Every GM in the league would take that guard over your boy. JG has plenty "bag". Look at Bari's averages over the last 29 games from his "rookie" season. Sengun is a magician with the ball in his hands in the post. Once we have a coach that utilizes that and implements plays for it, things will change. (And I'm not a SOF). Tari works his butt off and has already moved way up in any redraft evaluations. You discount all these dudes when they're still kids and they've been coached by a squad that was sent to tank.

Not too long ago it was rare that guys came out before their junior year of not senior. These kids are a year or two younger playing against grown men. And still producing. Maybe not night in and night out, but the fact they do at times, at that age, speaks volumes. You've sat around championing Porter even after all of his non stop BS and bad play the 1st couple of yrs and yet you crush others.

Again your agenda is wack.

#480 Believe It!, Jun 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2023