1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Kevin Porter Jr.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 18, 2023.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That is certainly not KPJ. KPJ is the QB that throws lead passes where the receivers have to dive for the ball leading to them getting brutalized by in air tacklers.

2. chenjy9

Supporting Member

LOL... no **** other teams don't value him as much as us. Other teams are actually smart, unlike us. He was traded for a bag of chips yet only we wanted him. Not many teams place value in a poor scorer who is an even poorer playmaker and decision maker.

Dacamel likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

FFS what were Murray’s assist numbers for Denver?

KPJ is a modern combo guard.

get out of the 80s people.

DD

kspires999 and hlmbasketball like this.
  4. chenjy9

Supporting Member

LOL... a combo guard who is at best mediocre in the 2 areas he is supposed to perform well in. Can't call yourself a combo guard if you are both a mediocre scorer and below average playmaker.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LOL @ KPJ haters! Can you imagine the fun we will have this upcoming season when KPJ is playing well (again)? I can hear it already "I KNEW KPJ was a good player, but he was just out of position and Silas was the antichrist - its all thanks to Udoka" :D:D:D:D:D

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. chenjy9

Supporting Member

KPJ has never played well for the season and even in his good games this last season, he made plenty of brain dead mistakes that a 2nd year player shouldn't be making much less a 4th year player. With that said, we can all agree that he was playing out of position. He is not a PG (or a "combo" guard as DD keeps trying to scream into existence) and there is no doubt he would perform better in an off-ball role as taking decision making out of the equation for him helps hide his biggest weakness, making good decisions.

Hemingway likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im laughing while going through your post history regarding KPJ !! At least you can always hang your hat on the "Udoka turned him into a good player" card. Might want to start hedging early big guy!

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Laughter is good healing. I laugh whenever I watch KPJ try to man the offense. It was like watching a greek tragedy. Also, why would I need to hedge about KPJ given how little he means to me? If Udoka can get past all that poor decision making and dig out his talent, that is great for the Rockets. If he doesn't and we trade him or waive him, I ain't losing any sleep over it either. As I have said time and time again, my feelings regarding KPJ can be summed up in one word, "Meh".

9. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

How is this so hard to understand? The Rockets TANKED the last 3 seasons. That requires players to not play at their full potential. That requires players to make stupid mistakes. That requires players to turn the ball over. That requires players to look like a damn fool. That's why many veterans don't like being on rebuilding teams. You don't "pray for Victor" without making sure you're worst the team in the league.

He was traded for a 2024 2nd round pick. You don't lose anything by seeing how well he performs now that they're no longer purposely losing games. Even if he ends up being the 6th man, he's more of a matchup problem at the 1 and 2. Only a handful of players in history have put up 50 and 10 and he's still just 22. Put some respect on his name Rocket fans.

#389 BasketballMind, Jun 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
    Verbal Christ and Kevooooo like this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Some folks including me Been saying this for the longest time, man is a talented player but he fking sucks at pg, get him off the position. Don't b painting folks as mental gymnast when we actually kick him off pg and he excels playing his natural role.

Being misused, sucking as a pg, and silas can all b reasons why folks view kpj negatively.

11. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

I agree the Hate gotta stop man

BasketballMind likes this.
  12. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

They all are. And everybody sees that he is not a pg, except for a few who claims he is potentially an all-star combo guard.

But there are many questions marks around what's gonna happen when he is moved to another role that requires a different skill set and mind set which unfortunately he did not try to improve the past 2 years. He'll need to have the ball less and move more off the ball. He will need good shot selection and decision making, which he is both bad at. He touts when he doesn't get the ball even when he has the ball most in his hands. I am not sure how he will react when he has the ball less. He also needs to play much better defense, which he could have done when he was playing pg and did not. He is praised for being a hard-worker. A universal sign of a hard-working player is improving on defense, regardless of how bad or good you are, which I don't see in kpj yet.

So while being pushed to the pg role was obviously bad for him, he has a lot of negatives anyway. Since he is on contract it is worth trying him in his natural position but I would not offer him his current salary to start on our team. There is always the possibility that he pulls it together and be much more valuable than his contract but i see it very unlikely.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly it wouldn't be so bad if it weren't always so incredibly stupid. If there was a solid basis for it, then I'd say it was just criticism which is always fair.

For the most part, it's just player first type fans trying to prop up underperforming players by trying to take shots at better players that are upstaging them or blame better players for the struggles of their pet players.

It's pretty much a kindergarten mentality, but what can you do?

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

The Hate for KPJ is crazy. I still don't get it. 19/5/5, 22/23yrs old, only 1.5yrs playing PG, several different lineups, youth movement poor shooting team AND STILL there is hate....CRAZY

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

The Hate for KPJ is crazy. I still don't get it. 19/5/5, 22/23yrs old, only 1.5yrs playing PG position, several different lineups, youth movement, poor shooting team AND STILL there is hate....CRAZY

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

But were they open after they caught the pass? :D

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not just then, but they were still open when they actually took the shot....they just can't hit them....but it has to be someone else's fault, because dumb false narratives.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not "crazy", it's "dumb" or it's "dishonest". That's really the only two options.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It’s not about hating KPJ, it’s about loving the team and knowing our standards and options. We can do better because we have a lot of options in house under 23 and we have options in terms of acquiring players.

Maybe he has a good future on another team. If you’re a huge fan, that’s a positive outcome. We just happen to have too many young players and several have shown more promise even through struggles.

harold bingo likes this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've been an NBA fan my whole life. I was 7 in '94 and that's when I really got into it. Around 2011 is when I started getting obsessed with it, as I am now.

In all that time, I've never heard the "he's only played [X] position for __ years" excuse once in my life. It's just become a talking point for KPJ. First it was, "he's never played PG before!!" then "he only played PG for one year!!" then "he only played PG for 2 years!!" and now somehow you've turned it into "he's only played PG for 1.5 years!!"

It's a bad way to excuse unsatisfactory play, because it can be extended and expanded infinitely. Examples:

"He's only played PG for Udoka for 1 year!!"
    "He's only played with this starting 5 for 65 games!!"
    "He's only played PG on a non-tanking team for 2 years!!"

And obviously we could do these for every player on the team - for every player on every team.

So, please, everyone: stop with this excuse bullshit.

If we stick with this logic then we really shouldn't ever criticize any player ever, because they only have so much experience in this one situation.

And if anyone disagrees with this post, you really should just keep your mouth shut, because this is the first time I've ever posted my annoyance with this common KPJ excuse. You really should give me a few years of working on it before you try to criticize me.

harold bingo, jordnnnn and Dacamel like this.