1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Value of Rockets young core ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Jun 16, 2023.

1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Zion doesn’t play, he’s not worth the 4 straight up

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Disagree.

When Zion plays he is literally guaranteed all star to all nba level.

The chances of pick #4 ever being an all star ever is something like 20% or less.

The median player at #4 in the last 20 years is Tyrus Thomas and Cody Zeller

You may think a healthy Zion is unlikely, but an all star outside of the #1 pick is also relatively unlikely

3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

There’s less than 20% chance Zion will play though, look at his conditioning and health … at 22. Hard pass.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. SamFisher

Ok Doc thanks lol.

GotGame15 likes this.
  5. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’m going by the fact he’s played less than 30 games in 3 of his 4 seasons

6. SamFisher

Even if we assume you are a genius orthopedic soothsayer and correct and take that as his ratio for playing a full season - 25% - that's substantially higher than the chance of a 4th pick making an all star game or all NBA during his rookie deal - it's probably like 5%.

Your own math says - get Zion, Doc

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’m saying his heart and his drive aren’t in it. Throwing down windmill dunks in warmups but not playing in the game. That would be a huge mistake blowing up the rebuild for a guy without the drive to be great

8. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Clutch should add Simmons to the bad word filter. Sorry to the other famous Simmons out there.

9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

The list doesn't make any sense. How can someone like Draymond be on the list when you don't even know what his next contract will look like?

This is just a list of guys Simmons likes and in what order. It has no basis in reality. There's no way that Jimmy Butler is more valuable than Joel Embiid, just to name one example.

10. SamFisher

One thing i would note, since he's older and doesn't require tons of touches - i wouldn't be surprised if teams call for Tari Eason - his style of plsy make him an easy fit on a wide variety of teams

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah. Zion at 20% or Ingram at 70%....I think most take Brandon Ingram.

groovemachine likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You take every opportunity to sh*t on our 20 year olds. You should call Simmons and see if he will add you to his staff of Rocket haters. Better yet, move to the NE and join the entire hate Texas crowd. All 3 of Sengun, Jabari, and Jalen have tons of trade value (especially Sengun and Green). You are even more of a jerk than Simmons, because you troll for fun, he does it for money.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Curious what kind of return you could get for each one of them?

Would any team in the top 5 give up their pick for any of them?

Do you think you could get an unprotected pick from any team likely to be in the early lottery?

What players could you get in return for a direct trade of each one without adding additional assets.

(I'm not asking to be a smartass, I'm curious others think about these potential returns).

14. SamFisher

Why do you think this - other than being a Rockets fan what external sources of validation do you have for this theory? There's lots of NBA takes and rumors etc - very few of them (in a relative sense) seem to pertain to those players.

I know it's something that would be nice to believe it true but - is it true?

I also disagree that you think that it's trolling to not parrot the company line that everything is going great.

The results of the Rockets rebuild so far speak for themselves.

It's ok to be upset by it - i don't need your permission.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The results of players who right now as we speak are 21,20 and 19?

those players?

16. SamFisher

Yeah, those players.

None of them look to be franchise-worthy pieces, and none of them really even look like they can argue to even be the top 2-3 players in their draft class.

Hope I'm wrong! ;)

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I like how certain people go back and forth between telling us how amazing certain players are to telling us how we can't expect those exact same players to be any good at all because they are young.

18. thekad

thekad Member

The Rockets young guys have way less value than this forum thinks - and with Jalen/Jabari, less than the draft capital used on them - but that ranking is hilariously bad.

SamFisher likes this.
  19. SamFisher

If the Rockets called up Charlotte or Portland and said "we'll give you the 2021 #2 and the 2022 #3 for this year's #2 or 3 - do they bite?

Portland i think def. no

Charlotte would at least consider asking for a counteroffer (how about 4 and Jalen Green!) But i would suspect ultimately they go with scoot even though a LaMelo- Green backcourt would be marketable

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A Scoot Henderson-LaMelo backcourt would be better though since Scoot can be a competent ball handler to make up for his lack of shooting.

With Jalen-LaMelo, you have the same problem as Jalen-KPJ in that the only guy that is a competent ball handler is also the only guy that can shoot....so the guy with a weak handle who can't consistently create for others has to be the guy with the ball in his hands most of the time because he's next to useless off ball.

You have to have at least one guard that can shoot, and the one that can't shoot has to be able to make plays for others.