1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Trade deadline looking critical for hopes of making another run this year

IBTL likes this.
  2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I hope Dana Brown can make up for Crane and Bagwell completely punting on pitching in the off-season outside of overpaying for Montero.

Stephen66, IBTL, Zen Tabak and 3 others like this.
  3. prospecthugger

I swear there was one spring training where McCullers had went to a biomechanics expert or something to prove that his curve put less stress on his elbow than his fastball did. Granted, that's probably a pretty good indication that at least someone was worried that there is a correlation between his pitch usage and his injury history.

4. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I was really hoping for Michael Wacha in the off season the way he was available so late. That thought was really looking bad after his first few starts but he's a borderline all star at this point.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They didn’t know McCullers was toast and Urquidy and Garcia were both healthy. They had a full rotation if they were to count on Brown which was obviously pretty smart. The only pitching addition that would have made any sense at all would have been a lefty RP but the market for those was weak.

The offseason decision makers have been rightly ridiculed for the Abreu/Montero/Brantley deals but their decision to stand pat in the rotation was logical.

Zen Tabak, J.R. and Wulaw Horn like this.
  6. scott_summers

scott_summers Member

Man I agree with you. It sucks that fans are like that. Certain players that rep Houston so hard. I remember when the scandal was really hitting hard and we went to LA. All those ******* LA fans booing our guys. He beat the Dodgers and said that was for Htown. Yes it sucks hes hurt but if u dont think he wants to be out there. Come on. I'm sure this is killing him. I'll always love Lance. I hope he comes back next year and has a bad ass year.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They should have suspected LMJ wouldn’t be able to pitch an entire season/playoffs and should have been rightly concerned about his “arsenal” post flexor injury based n his 2022. They had his medicals. Knew his rehab process. Knew what he was capable of pitching like.

Enough here (myself included) were concerned enough to want more depth to account for gimpy LMJ, rookie Brown, and Javier haven’t ever pitched a full season. Fans should still be concerned hence why SP acquisitions continue to be a priority.

The only presumed sure things going into this season (based on injury history and usage) were Framber and Garcia… and one of them out for TJ surgery.

They still need to be focused on SP at the deadline (amongst everything else).

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I disagree- they were losing Verlander and Whitley and McCullers have been unreliable.

9. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Even Baker wanted another veteran pitcher to add depth but he basically said he was ignored.

prospecthugger likes this.
  10. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I can agree with Verlander and LMJ, but why Whitley? He has been irrelevant since 2018 and even pitched less than LMJ. Plus, he got hurt during the season

The Beard likes this.
  11. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

source?

12. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

prospecthugger likes this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Need to make multiple moves for sure.

14. Screaming Fist

This might sound like a troll, but a decent argument could be made for Diaz (or at least the version we've seen so far this season) being the most talented position player on the roster.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. Screaming Fist

You can argue that the Astros need another playoff caliber SP with LMJ being out this season, but it's hard to say at this point that they would have benefited from some scrub bargain bin veteran SP with the value they've been able to get out of France, Bielak, and Blanco.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I guess it depends on who that veteran is and how he performed.

France, Bielak, and Blanco have taken the ball and admirably given the team a chance to win.

That's really all you can ask from AAAA replacement starters.

However their peripheral numbers are terrible. They are most likely heading for some ugly ugly starts.

I will be much more comfortable with Urquidy on the mound, but signing a JAG veteran would have given the team a much larger margin for error.

FIP
    France: 4.97
    Bielak: 5.55
    Blanco: 5.20

MLB avg 4.29.

At some point, the probabilities will catch up with them and they will start giving up 1 - 1 1/2 more runs per game than they have been and the offense with need to be that much better for them to keep winning.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This is a very important point that people talk past each other with.
    so far, the actual results from a runs scored perspective is fine and the stop gap guys wouldn’t have been worse than the MoR guy you talk about adding.
    So far, it seems like good fortune is what makes that statement true and it’s likely they will perform significantly worse than they have this far and they. Red to be upgraded. Both statements can be true at once, they aren’t contradictory and I see people arguing with each other as if they were in the astros ecosystem (not necessarily here).
    BTE- Astros starters typically outperform their FIP by a decent bit (call it 1/2 a run- I’m talking about going back to 2017). France might be an average dude going forward. For minimum wage that’s actually pretty valuable. Fingers crossed.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

They shouldn't have penciled him as a dependable starter either.

19. Major

Major Member

They didn't - the Astros had 6 starters. Unfortunately, 2 more besides McCullers got injured.

Any team that loses 3 starters is going to be lacking depth and pitching AAAA type guys.

jim1961, ryan_98, rockbox and 3 others like this.
  20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The Astros have had 21 games this season where they scored 2 runs or less (4 shutouts). They are 1-20 in those games.

I think they’ve played 69 games so far.

Also, they have 5 more games where they scored 3 runs and are 2-3 in those contests.

#2020 Tomstro, Jun 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    everyday eddie, IBTL and Stephen66 like this.