1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets want to trade 4th pick for win now vet might be interested in Zion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 13, 2023.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Don’t forget, he’s also going to make 45M in 5 years. That’s a long and large commitment to the love child of Kawhi “I’m not ready” Leonard and Eddie “buffet” Curry.

pippendagimp likes this.
  2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Zion and Jalen? . I'm salivating but it ain't gonna happen..

sirjesse likes this.
  3. maj21

maj21 Member

Give us Zion and Murphy and they can take pick 4, 20, and Sengun. Hell, maybe slip Dyson in there too lol

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Nooooooooouuuup.

5. thekad

thekad Member

Amen is 99% going to be a below replacement level player. If NOLA is dumb enough to trade an actual lottery level talent in Zion for him, go for it.

6. Ancient Moabite

Crazy flip side to this is if he stays healthy(big IF) and performs at his all NBA caliber numbers he would be around only 27-28 years old and would be due for a possible J Brown type extension, his current contract is somewhat a bargain when compared to others who will be pushing 50-60 million annually in a couple years

But as of right now with his games missed its a horrible deal and if he was 28 the pelicans would be shopping Zion heavily for a top 4 pick

Kevooooo likes this.
  7. Saeculum

Saeculum Member

If it's #4 plus not Green, Sengun, Bari, or Tari, we'd be insane not to take it. You bet on Zion getting an Embiid stretch in his prime. #4 plus Tari and other pieces probably still yes. #4 plus one of our 3 best prospects, I'd need to see the offer.

The worry is, of course, that it doesn't matter if Zion is in shape, it's that even "in shape" Zion has a body that can't handle his athleticism. He's very Bill Walton/Yao Ming-esc. That said, all you need is one healthy stretch in the playoffs to win a title. Given how unlikely titles are in this league, you gamble if the price is right.

edit: I doubt it will be. NO knows this too.

Arnel, BigMaloe, Caesar and 3 others like this.
  8. Ancient Moabite

Is this a combo (guard) quote of No/Yup strangely mixed?

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Classic, the good times.

coachbadlee likes this.
  10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

‘Win now vets’ and ‘Zion’ are two divergent subjects o_O

cml750 and Nook like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

First - if Zion would be moved, the Pelicans would want the #2 pick for Henderson. However the Pelicans are discussing moving up to #2 and keeping Zion but including a number of future #1’s.

Second - Zion is just a big name and nothing more. He doesn’t really like basketball. He lacks the discipline to keep his weight under control. His personal life is a mess. He is immature and always injured. Honestly the guy is the poster board reason for why more than being physically blessed is needed to be a truly great player. He is a football player at heart, and that body is going to age really quickly and really badly.

Third - I know it sounds absurd but I wouldn’t do the #4 pick straight up for him. This is the last big draft pick the Rockets will have and it’s BAD if the Pelicans are considering moving him.

Fourth - Just take Amen Thompson at #4 if you can’t move up for Henderson. Sign a couple younger and hard working veterans like Cam Johnson and like Udoka coach a core of Thompson, Green, Smith and Sengun. Hell I would even try to trade up from 20 into the top 10-12 and take whoever falls.

r-fan-since-81, Y2JT, Arnel and 19 others like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

BigMaloe, apollo33, Deuce and 6 others like this.
  13. tc0330

tc0330 Member

zion hasnt been able to stay healthy for 5 minutes. yall want to give up 4 and pay him a bag. yall are crazy. no

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

This isn't how you build a winning culture. Take a lesson from the Heat. Intangibles f***ing matter. It's why I'm higher on the Thompson twins than some of y'all. Those kids love basketball and that's the foundation for everything else.

Y2JT, Little Bit, Denovo and 2 others like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Moriah Mills agrees.

Arnel and sirjesse like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Zion doesn't look like he has a passion for basketball or creating a legacy that outshines his rivals. His legacy will be among the likes of Rockets Legends Stanley Roberts or Mo Taylor.

Maybe he can make a grab for the Big Country title.

But hey I'm tired of tanking. Let there be a freak show to distract our "efforts" for not landing a #1 in the post Harden cheapo Fertita years.

17. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

upload_2023-6-13_20-30-30.gif

coachbadlee and daywalker02 like this.
  18. Saeculum

Saeculum Member

I disagree with point 3 a little bit. I think Zion likes being a superstar to the extent he will show up "in shape" and give his all to dominate at some point in the next 3-4 years (he kinda did so this year). That said, I agree that when it goes bad with Zion, it goes real bad. Still, if it's the #4 and filler, you have to take the gamble. He's not just a name, he's put up legit dominant stretches in the league.

Second caveat, you plan on not resigning him. The gamble is he puts up one healthy season by the end of his current contract.

javal_lon likes this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

Need to chew on this a bit before I weigh in.

cml750, sirjesse and Saeculum like this.
  20. Saeculum

Saeculum Member

Also per @Nook #1 it's never going to happen. And per my own 2d caveat it would take a GM with balls of steel and a secure job to even consider it.

That said, Ima fantasize about Ime plus our young core plus healthy Zion for the next 15 minutes. /thread