1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

They not only edited out Pressly's answer "no it doesn't make a difference" to whether he preferred Maldy or Yainer... they had asked him what he likes about Maldy but completely edited out asking the question to make it seem like one long answer.

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Tucker was disappointed in his arbitration results, has had a sub-Tucker year, and clearly has no desire to be here after 2025.

Corbin Burnes is in the same boat in Milwaukee but has 1 year less of control.

Brewers just got swept by A's but still in playoff position but are desperate for offense.

I wonder if they would consider a Burnes and Brian Anderson for Tucker swap?

Should the Astros?

Anderson is a rental and having a good but not great year. More versatile than Tucker and a step down across the board- about MLB avg but slightly stronger vs RHP.

What other pieces would need to be included? Neither team has a strong farm system according to rankings.

Of course this may make the team better overall, but actually hurts the offense, so another run producer would still be needed.

#1922 IdStrosfan, Jun 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    IBTL likes this.
  3. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Personally I am over Tucker. Defense is down. Batting average down, power is down. Clutch gene is down. He is the captain of this teams lethargic play. Trade him straight up for Ohtani. or a TOR pitcher rental, if such a unicorn exists.

4. Major

Major Member

This is nonsense.

The Astros last year did not have much payroll flexibility, a stacked farm system, or a wartime GM. The Astros of 2017 weren't stacked 1-26 - the vast majority of their bullpen was unplayable.

The Braves won 88 games the year they won the WS. The Nationals were a wildcard team - they weren't stacked by any stretch of the imagination. Nationals farm system definitely wasn't stacked.

There isn't a single team in MLB that has all the things you say they need, and yet some team is going to win the World Series. The only recent example of what you say were the Dodgers and they won the World Series once.

texans1095 likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

I would love to see fans as GMs. It would be constant "buy high" and "sell low" on every player. It's like Daryl Morey's handling of Harden/Paul/Westbrook and managing to make every wrong move.

texans1095 likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

It's not like they have a rich history of given out large contracts or large payrols (mostly because payrolls have gone up since Luhnow for the non-Yankees teams). I'f I'm not mistaken, Lee and Bagwell were the only contracts over $50m they gave out before Luhnow. Since then they have given them out to Altuve, Bregman, Reddick, Verlander, McCullers, Yordan, and Abreu. Obviously Altuve and Yordan have been amazing and Bregman has regressed since his extension began, but still very good. Aside from Abreu and McCullers, I would say the Verlander and Reddick deals were bad as well. Verlander deserved it 100%, but he only pitched 1 game during his 2 year extension and Reddick was pretty mediocre after his 2017 season. 13 million a year isn't a lot when the payroll is 200, but there isn't many options when you only consider $50m contracts lol. I guess you could include Greinke as well since they traded and paid for his contract, but he was at least playable

Tomstro likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chas is ice cold versus LHPs, but doing damage against RHPs, lately.

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Chaz's OPS vs RHP is up to .743, but rest assured he will sit tonight because Julks (.678) is better against RHP. If both of them play, it will only be because Diaz and his .821 OPS against RHP sits.

Dusty is gonna find a way to get Julks into the lineup regularly, results be damned.

10. SuraGotMadHops

Unless he is giving Pena or Altuve an off day, I would so much rather see Dubon in LF than Julks until Mike and/or Yordan come back. Rotate Meyers, Chas, and Dubon in CF and LF and just leave Julks out of it. No need to keep giving him AB's and just leave him as depth on the bench.

The Beard likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Abreu has been smashing LHPs, and has hit RHPs better the past 7 games or so. If that keeps up and the Astros get Yordan and Brantley off the IL, and Dusty will be losing options to play below average hitters.

The Beard likes this.
  12. Screaming Fist

Worrying about platoon skill of two RHBs, where one is better than the other, is pretty silly, imo.

13. Major

Major Member

Like 2 days ago, you were insistent that you didn't care if Chaz or Julks played against righties, but Chaz just needed to play against lefties. But of course, there's just a need to complain about Dusty so your arguments will change as needed as long as the end result is that you get to complain.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

As horrible as we've been playing, we're only 3.5 behind the rangers.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It looks like Meyers is starting to separate himself from Chas as the primary CF.

For a while Dusty was starting Jake 2 games then Chas 1 in a straight rotation, but now Jake is seeing 3-4 consecutive starts and Chas only has 2 starts in the past 10 games.

It looks like Julks is still Dusty's primary LF, with 9 starts the past 20 games. Chas has 5, Dubon and Yordan 3 each.

It looks like Dubon will continue to start most games, including 9 of last 10.

All this looks like Chas is getting squeezed out, just like his history would suggest.

16. Screaming Fist

How about this, Julks shouldn't start period unless it's a rest day for a regular.

17. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

My post was mostly tounge and cheek, but there will be a point that Houston will have to make a decision. Either trade him for assets or give the qualifying offer and get a comp pick if that has not been done away with. He will not be an Astro in 2.5 years.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It should be under normal circumstances. This board has complained a lot about Chas being weak against RHPs. Chas's bat against RHPs is the 2nd best among OFs on the active roster using career wRC+ (best in 2023). Granted, I'm fine with the Astros adding a guy that truly excels against RHPs to platoon with Chas or a flatout better player (i.e., one that isn't just having a good year that may or may not continue to be significantly better).

19. Radricky

Radricky Member

Brace yourselves

ryan_98 and IBTL like this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Not expecting great news, yep.