1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At all costs get Lively

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, May 26, 2023.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Both Whitmore and Lively scare me. Measurables and workouts, but can they really hoop?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lively had a poor freshman campaign at Duke for a coach that is clearly a few steps down from K.

He was the number 1 player coming out of HS for a reason, and I firmly believe when he gets to the NBA he will blow up and be very productive.

He fits on this team better than any other player not named Wemby......and that is why I want him.

DD

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Both of them are really young they have less bust potential than the Twins or Miller given what they could do at their ages.

Whitmore is only 18 if you look at the twins 2 yrs ago they were a mess. Lively is only 19 his low stats are due to playing only 20 mins and not getting the ball.

No Worries and DaDakota like this.
  4. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Think he's a solid prospect, but how do you believe he's a better fit than anyone in the draft when we already have Sengun at the 5 and our biggest needs are a true lead guard, shooting and defense in that order? A back up 5 is a need, but not the biggest.

Many dudes ahead of him that meet those needs.

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I think his raw talents are great (and probably the main reason he was a top HS prospect), but at some point it helps to see that talent materialize in games. Good coach or bad coach.

Has there ever been a big man (or player) that essentially did nothing from 3 in college (or really anything outside of the rim), but somehow entered the NBA as a reliable shooting threat? I know Brook eventually got there, but wondering about more immediate results.

It's odd to me since Lively played behind a guy who had nearly triple the 3pr (and honestly still kinda sucked at making them, though much better than Lively percentage wise). I didn't follow Duke closely, but obviously they liked to have their big men shoot 3s. Just seemed like Dereck... didn't. Why?

Maybe he shoots better in rhythm, but it's not like he's going to get the ball much in the NBA either, so... kinda concerning IMO.

Anyway I'm specifically calling out his potential as a shooter. Like I said, I think he's got some other obviously elite skills, especially on defense, and that alone might be enough to go after him aggressively. I'm not as high on him as others, but I can understand valuing him highly.

No Worries likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

How many points did he average?

7. RC Cola

I can literally watch multiple videos of his workouts where he makes shots. Or maybe I'm just missing some bad humor attempt.

8. RC Cola

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

RC Cola likes this.
  10. ball king23

ball king23 Member

if it was me I would try to trade my pick with Orlando with Orlando get two of those picks swap both picks for Orlando's picks take nick smith jr and derek lively and do some type of trade like that if he makes it to that second pick.

11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

They should've traded up for Kessler last year.

Rocketsman90 and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. DaDakota

I don't believe we need a lead guard at all, we have a system much like Denver where Murray is their alleged lead guard, and Jokic is actually the hub, we have the same thing with KPJ and Sengun.

We do need a center that can protect the rim on D, and if he can shoot the 3ball on O - he can support Sengun.

DD

BasketballMind likes this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

There was zero ground swell for Kessler last year. Most scouts thought that Kessler would have trouble making the transition.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

It doesn’t really address the swing for a franchise player but a trade of #4 and KMJ for #6 and #11 where we add Jarace Walker at #6 and then deal #11 and Christopher for #9 to take Hendricks really helps to address our defense.

Sengun/Walker
    Smith/Hendricks
    Eason/Hendricks
    Green/Porter
    Harden/Caruso via trade/Washington

15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Again with your crush. You're comparing Porter to Murray? Man I hope Udoka can be the one to finally get through to that fool, but so far nobody has. We'll see.

BTW we have not had a system like Denver. If they go that way great, but don't fool yourself, Porter's not close to the guard Murray is.

And yes, we need a lead guard.

We all have our opinions. Whether delusional or not

#155 Believe It!, Jun 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  16. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I think if he'd dropped to Philly they would have made the Gordon deal. Unfortunately he did not. And he really should never have been projected do low. His production backs that up.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. DaDakota

See this is where I believe you are being disingenuous.

Yes, I am comparing KPJ to Jamal Murray - and when you see what Jamal Murray's stats at 21-22 looked like to KPJs at 21.

20017-18 Murray --- KPJ

PPG 16.7 --------- 19.2
    APG 3.4 --------- 5.7
    Rbd 3.7 ---------- 5.3
    FG% 45.1 ------- 44.2
    3pt% 37.8 -------36.6

Hell here are Murray's stats at 26

PPG - 20
    APG - 6.2
    Rbd - 4.0
    FG% 45.4
    3pt 39.8

Imagine where KPJ will be in 4 years.......this fanbase needs patience - he is on his way as is Green, Bari and Sengun....all are on their way.......just support them, stop whining about personal biases.
    How can you not see the similarities? How is it unfair to compare guys with nearly identical production? You see, people like you need someone to complain about to make you deal with the team sucking, when the reality is that the team just sucked on purpose and it was not the players fault.

KPJ is developing into an ALL STAR LEVEL lead guard - not a traditional PG - which pedantic people can't seem to leave their own spectrum to see - but a good solid NBA guard.

His efficiency is up, his turnovers down and all of this playing with teammates that shot poorly and didn't defend (Neither did he TBH though)....

I think KPJ is an unbelievably good asset, on par with Green, Bari and Sengun.......

Not sure why a lot of folks can't see it other than they are on the spectrum of wanting a 1980s PG and can't see what the NBA has gone to in the last 10 years.

And I will defend him as long as he is a Rocket against the onslaught of ignorance and lack of perspective!

DD

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sengun isn't really a good fit right now it's because he is a defensive liability.

Rox have the 4rth which they will use to address either plsymaking with Amen or shooting with Miller. They also have 60M in capspace to fill holes in the roster.

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Porter isnt nearly the athlete Murray is. Nor is he as good or aware of a passer.

we could get away without a point guard if we ran the office through Sengun AND whomever our SF ends up being is a better distributor than Green and Porter.

Im telling you guys, I think that the organization like Amen because he makes a lineup with Green at SG and Porter at SF feasible.

Project Thompson into his median outcome….

Sengun
    Smith
    Porter
    Green
    Thompson

Actually pretty balanced come 2024-2025.

20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Forest for the trees?