1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

#1 ability is AVAILability.

Houstunna and Jturbofuel like this.
  2. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't care how he is troll everyone I don't think they are signing him.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Didn't practice......didn't play games when healthy in Arizona.

Not a good culture fit to an organization that wants players who are passionate and will take to coaching.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I can't find anything to substantiate the "didn't practice" claim.

He sat out his final two games in Arizona, which I am completely fine with.

Sounds like you're reaching.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Texans might make an offer to Nuk, but they don't have very much cap space left once they sign their draft picks so I'm not expecting any more big moves.

red5rocket likes this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Because I wasn't disagreeing with that part of your post, except that it didn't require hindsight. At the time, trading Hopkins was justifiable *if* the Texans had received a significant return. They had current and pending cap issues, they had dealt away premium picks for Watson and Tunsil, they had needs elsewhere... It wasn't a bad thought. But the execution.....

Remove his first two seasons, and his per game #s:
    HOU: 6.5/84.5/.59 = 103/1,352/9
    ARI: 6.3/77/.49 = 101/1,232/8

I mean.... that's pretty much the definition of "every bit as productive." To quibble that's any sort of drop-off just rings false to me.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not hindsight. I trashed the Tunsil trade here and on twitter at the time because of how stupid it was for a team like the Texans that was absolutely not a contender to be making it. Media personalities did the same.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Texans were not a smart organization in 2020, and it sure seems like they dealt Hopkins out of spite, which was/is unjustifiable.

I'm only arguing that a *smart* organization would look at where that team was in 2020 - major cap concerns; no draft capital; other, more pressing needs with no immediate way to address those concerns - and would've been smart to view Hopkins as potentially being able to solve one, or more, of those issues with one trade. I'll note - since we're including context - that Watson had his best season in 2020 so it wouldn't have been wrong to view Hopkins as a luxury at that time.

Again, return is the key. If he had netted the Texans.... Budda Baker and 2-3 premium picks??.... Remember: Odell had set the WR trade market: he netted two young players (Zeitler and Peppers) and a 1 + 3. That return would've been defensible. The actual return was wholly indefensible.

Ancient Moabite and jch1911 like this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

We're in the same boat. I was the fire BOB guy here for years. I was beyond pissed that BOB got to put Tunsil on the credit card in some vain attempt to field a contender.

The point is not whether the 'championship window' was real or not, the point is that the organization thought it was and was clearly acting as such by the aggressive moves they made.

Despite all of my pessimism, I did manage to get caught up in thinking that their gamble might actually pay off after the 1st quarter on January 12th, 2020.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

So, by showing his numbers as dropping off, you're saying his numbers didn't drop off

Silly

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. conquistador#11

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think he'd have some interest in theory, but the Texans just don't have the cap space to make a very competitive offer and I just don't see him turning ANY money down at this point in his career.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He knows Texans have more cash than Buffalo and KC. Hop and Schultz will make things a lot easier for CJ

#2834 Fulgore, May 31, 2023
    Last edited: May 31, 2023
  15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Using us as leverage oldest trick in the book

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. conquistador#11

As it stands, they need most of it for Stroud and WAj's contracts. It could be very telling if they release a player tomorrow.

Fulgore likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

yeah but he wouldn't have used or any athlete used us when Rasputin was doing his ungodly things.
    Guys are looking at it wrong, we back on the come up as organization.

Do I want Harden back? No. But I like that he has kept Houston in the newscycle.

Rudyc281, cbass and Ancient Moabite like this.
  20. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm not really sure what all the push-back on this is for. There were definitely whispers (from now multiple places) that DeAndre Hopkins was not the best guy for a locker room. I know there will be doubts, so here's a couple of articles different writers who at least had concerns:

https://insidetheiggles.com/posts/eagles-voice-deandre-hopkins-locker-room-culture-01h1emkn138s

https://arizonasports.com/story/352...lease-ends-wrs-selfish-legacy-with-cardinals/

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2...ly-is-a-free-agent-chiefs-bills-browns-ravens

I'm not saying they're true (or false for that matter), all I'm saying, is that this isn't just a retired Jack Easterby thing. There's definitely some thoughts from insiders warranted concerns...

Rudyc281 likes this.