1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#4 Pick Trade Packages

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, May 16, 2023.

1. riko

riko Member

Barnes is a monster. He is 6 foot 10 player point guard skills who can also punish people in the paint. If Toronto offerd him for the fourth pick you do it in a heartbeat

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Scottie Barnes is not a monster.

He had a nice rookie year then regressed badly in year 2.

He is worth nowhere near the 4th pick.

serb likes this.
  3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

cant shoot. may as well just take amen

serb likes this.
  4. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

If you think Scottie Barnes is still obviously better than the 4th pick in this draft you haven’t been paying attention to the Raptors this year.

His outside shot has regressed and he’s not been what’s expected defensively - he’s a turnstile.

Most importantly the noise from Toronto is that he doesn’t work hard and isn’t committed to the game. Masai and FVV referenced it in their exit interviews.

He’s shown the same flashes, has great size, and secondary ball handling skills, so he’s still a great prospect - but there are major issues with him. He’d probably go #5 in this draft knowing what we know now, maaaybe #4, but it’s hard to see what he projects to be better at than Amen.

serb likes this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Barnes is not better than Amen Thompson, Barnes does not have a elite 1step…he is not a better passer than Amen….Amen is way more athletic….both cannot shoot

By the way….Barnes is only 6’8 and shoot a whopping 28.1% at the 3 point line this year

serb likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That time is nearer than one might think - Geen & Sengun are both extension eligible after this coming season. Thats decision day.

Those extensions wouldn't kick in until 2025/26 ....

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks. I haven't seen him play all year. No need to go after him.

8. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We are not trading the pick

peleincubus likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

@DaDakota listen to CHAMPBOY I consider him my own personal Rockets insider. Pick is being used to form a Rockets trio that will be enjoyed for many years!

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We TANK last year to trade a top 5 pick? Are you serious? No GM would trade a top 5 pick in this talented draft.

we have a chance to get Scoot or Amen….. you want to trade it for who?

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yikes!! They'll just give anybody ROY awards nowadays!

12. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

That’s not really a deadline. If neither one is an obvious max guy (and at this point it doesn’t look like they will be) you can wait until the next 2025/26 summer and let them become restricted free agents and then match what the market gives them.

We won’t be in the tax or anything so have no risk of losing them.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He regressed a lot in his second year. Was just lost most of the season. No improvement on his jumpshots, couldn't find a consistent role on offense and the defense also regressed

serb likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya you gotta be 20 year old Luka or LeBron good to be on trajectory for a max contract after your rookie contract...

:confused:

15. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

You think we’re putting a full rookie extension max in front of Jalen or Sengun next summer, no negotiation?

Only guys who got them the last 2 years were Luka, Trae, Shai, Zion, Ja, Garland.

I think Jalen and Sengun are on track to get solid extensions offered from us next summer, but not maxes.

Hope they earn it this season and make the question moot though.

#775 carl_herrera, May 30, 2023
    Last edited: May 30, 2023
  16. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

That was a year ago. Did you watch him the past season. He took a significant step back. Can you refute anything that I said other than oh he won ROY.

BTW Other ROY winners in the past include Brogdon, MCW, Mike Miller, Tyreke Evans.

17. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

the contrast between what others think of their players and the 4th pick and what we think of their players and the 4th pick is hilarious

Raptor fans want to build around Scottie,consider him untouchable and think they can get Jalen and the 4th pick for OG or Siakam

Rockets fans wouldn't even trade the 4th pick for Barnes lol

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Y'all act like Barnes regressed across the board. He didn't. His FT% improved substantially and he averaged almost 1.5 more assists a game. He actually looked much better as a distributor this season. Yes, he shot worse, but I'd still trade the #4 pick for him without a second thought.

19. Landry's Tooth

People get offended because they view assets differently.

To me, a proven good player is more valuable than a small chance at a great one.

The #4 pick in the past 23 years has produced basically 3 guys who have made 5+ allstar games in their career.

People who want the #4 pick think such a player is likely at #4 instead of unlikely.

If you told me there was a 70% chance the #4 pick this year is going to 5 or more allstar games then there is no way you trade the pick.

If you're saying there's a 20% chance of that, a 20% chance they are OG Anunoby level, and 60% they are a bench player or out of the league; then it's a matter of how you feel about risk, not the specific players.

Siakam to me is unappealing due to cap space, age, and lack of shooting.

Anunoby is a better version of an Ariza or Battier. It's because he hasn't done it for us these guys don't care. These same guys will tell you they should have paid Ariza even though 5 or 6 teams gave up on him after he left Houston...

It's an emotional argument they make...

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  20. Landry's Tooth

On trading Green: the risk is if he doesn't improve under Udoka, he's probably worth a second round pick a year from now.

I'm ok taking that risk if there's not a better option out there. I just feel we have enough young guys to gamble on and to me he seems the easiest to replace. Scoring ability isn't a rare skill in the league.

Big men who have vision and forwards who can guard 5 positions are more rare...

Just an opinion...