1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At all costs get Lively

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, May 26, 2023.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

2. ball king23

ball king23 Member

he would make since at 20 him or Jett Howard

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, who would do you want the least that is a viable possibility at the #4 pick?

4. ball king23

ball king23 Member

he would make since at 20 him or Jett Howard

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well what do you know?

DD

Joe Willie likes this.
  6. AXG

AXG Member

Let's get Blake Lively instead

7. MystikArkitect

Nah. He'll go where those guys usually go in the 12-16 range. Looks like a good backup center to Sengun though.

Yung-T, DaDakota and Little Bit like this.
  8. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Unless we move up, we are not getting Lively at 20th.

saleem likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Looks like the Rockets found their man - welcome to Houston Cam Whitmire

10. DaDakota

Exactly.

DD

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm out on Lively, maybe even at #20, for three reasons:

1. I think he's been getting overhyped recently because this draft class has no other centers who look like first round talents (unless you count Wemby). He looks like a future backup center in today's league to me. I still have him outside the lottery on my draft board.

2. One of the main organizational targets is known to be a guy who can step in immediately on defense alongside Sengun and give us a different look. You can't count on any rookie to make a positive impact on that side of the ball. We can sign a player like Brook Lopez, Nikola Vucevic, Jakob Poeltl, Naz Reid, or trade for a guy like Daniel Gafford, and even if some of those guys aren't incredible defensive stoppers, they'll still probably be better than Lively year 1.

3. Next year's draft class, despite being weaker overall, is going to have a ton of centers, since it already looked better in that regard and a bunch of second round big men decided against declaring for the draft this year. I'd rather pick up one of those guys instead and bide our time with a free agent or trade acquisition for now.

peleincubus, RC Cola and sydmill like this.
  12. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I would take him but at 4 unless you think he like marvin bagely trype good i mean go ahead and draft him but i would look at anthony black or nick smith

13. DaDakota

Man, I don't care about that ****.......I just want what helps the Rockets get better, for me, that is the end all, not gonna waste my time trying to figure out what a bunch of NBA GMs are doing, would rather be outside playing corn-hole or drinking wine.

I look at the roster, we have a hole at C for a shot blocking big and preferably one that can also shoot 3s - Lively is the best available player in this draft to help the Rockets right now.

DD

14. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

So I've seen you mention Lively as a big that can shoot 3s. You've seen his college shooting numbers, right?

I know he had that viral workout video, but you have to ask yourself if he was such a good shooter, why didn't he show that in games? Amen, Ausar, Anthony Black, Scoot, etc., can all hit a bunch of 3s in a 1v0 workout too, but I'm not sure that really counts more than what we saw from their game tape. Hell, Lively didn't even take many 3s, let alone make them (and defenses definitely sagged off of him). He seemed to lack the confidence in his shot in general, which is maybe more concerning than someone who took a bunch of shots and just missed them.

Maybe he'll show that was a fluke year, but I'm not sure I'd count on that.

I do like Lively for this team, though as I don't believe in the shot and I do think he'll be pretty raw on offense for a couple of years, I like him more around that #20 range.

Anyway I think your high level take is valid, and it is probably not worth overthinking this too much given how many variables are involved. At the end of the day, improving the team is all that matters, and who knows the best way to get that done.

(well hopefully Ime/Stone know the best way)

OremLK likes this.
  15. DaDakota

He was the number 1 high school recruit for a reason, he was at Duke under a new coach who was a major meh behind coach K - he will be a very good NBA prospect - I think he would impact this year's team more than anyone not named Wemby.

DD

RC Cola likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If the Rockets are keeping the pick I would love Mr Lively at 20.

saleem likes this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

May have to trade up

saleem likes this.
  18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Please note a correction needs to be made….you said Amen hit threes in his workout. I heard he missed most of them. Please don’t inaccurately use him as an example against Lively.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wait so you think being a "Marvin Bagley type" is a good thing?

No Worries likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah I don’t think I would do that. One option I have stated here is trading down with the 4th pick for a late lottery pick 10-14 and a decent pick next season. Trading the 20th for a pick next season and maybe a player like Martin as well for another late one. Then you have 4 first round picks next year leaving you open to trading up or trading with someone like Sengun or Eason to get your all nba player that wants out to pair with Green going into his 4th season.

A random lineup for 2024-2025

Cason Wallace VanVleet
    Green
    Eason
    Jabari
    Jaren Jackson Jr/Garuba

The defense Udoka deserves. I would think Sengun and 4 first round picks is a nice package.