1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And no one is insulting a dead kid. Stop with that nonsense.
    Haskins was an unathletic, first round Ohio St bust. That’s the comparison

2. cbass

cbass Member

You do you homie

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Interesting. You mention all these red flags Stroud had (the NCAA Leader in Quarterback rating last couple of years), Bryce's size, and being "more advanced" than AR. But you don't acknowledge any of Levis' failings. I agree with everyone else here, that your statements here don't come close to what someone who actually "Supports CJ Stroud" would say. Your entire schtick is put down Stroud, by any means necessary, and lift up Levis anyway possible.

If any team actually thought Levis was more advanced than AR with just as much upside, he wouldn't have made it to the 2nd round. I didn't want to hijack the CJ Stroud (Texans actual QB) thread, but you do nothing but bring negative energy towards our QB of the future. Then say "I'm just being a realist...."

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Levis has warts, he’s older and makes dumb decisions. But his metrics say he was better than his numbers.
    AR is younger and has more unrealized potential. Physically they are both capable of being top 3 in the league.
    Stroud doesn’t have that. But he might be a better QB than both when it’s all said and done.

He might be the QB of the future, he might not be. He hasn’t taken a snap yet. I will support him because he’s a Texan but what y’all are doing is straight battle red Kool aid drinking.

Some of you are literally comparing him to Mahomes. There is literally nothing comparable at all between the two. Nothing.

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

The only thing anyone has compared to Mahomes is the 4.7 40 time. Just showing that your athleticism fascination is weird. Levis was flat out not as good of a quarterback in college as Stroud. Teammates and schemes be damned. He wasn’t. And all 32 teams saw that.. we have yet to see who will be better in the pros. But saying we “drank the koolaid” and you’re just being a realist while only talking about Levis in unrealized potential is getting tiresome.

joshuaao, Qan, charlieaustin and 7 others like this.
  6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah he should be. I'm really interested in seeing how he does in Tennessee. Tennessee is playing it smart in my book.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Hearing people say Stroud moves anywhere near Mahomes is getting tiresome.
    First, Stroud isn’t running a 4.70. Second, if it was just 40 time Stroud would be ok, it’s agility, burst, explosiveness in short areas and the ability to throw from angles that Stroud can’t do.

Fulgore was quick to throw out the 4.7 40 and saying he moves like Mahomes but when Mills ran a 4.58 on national television it was “well it doesn’t show up on tape and 40 time doesn’t mean athleticism”

Omihail is an absolute idiot and offers nothing in terms of sports knowledge.

You’re alright, but if you don’t like it then block me. I don’t give a ****, you sissies need to get over it.
    If someone compares Stroud to Mahomes I’m going to call them out on it. They’re not smart

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It will be interesting. If Tannehill/Henry are healthy they have a chance to win division. Vrabel is on the hot seat if not.
    Will be interesting.

Levis and AR development directly affects the Texans, I hope we picked the right guy

Cstyle42 likes this.
  9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

please stop dude. It’s embarrassing

You propped up Mills hard. And that’s okay, the guy had a lot of positives. But sometimes guys look great but just can’t play at high levels. Mills still could be serviceable but you talking him up is very similar to you talking up Levis

Funny that you give Mills the benefit of the doubt but not Stroud. You spend way too much time trying to prove Levis is the guy and Stroud is not and I really don’t understand why. We get it. You like the “potential” of Levis. And I’m saying this from someone who isn’t very high on Stroud but willing to see what happens

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I gave Mills the benefit of the doubt, he played well his rookie year but he was hated on by the same group of people hating on Levis. One of which has literally outed himself as a bigot but it seems to be acceptable here.

This is me giving Stroud the benefit of the doubt.
    I’m not propping Levis up, I’d be doing the same thing if posters were lying about AR and Bryce too, to make them feel better about Stroud. Stroud has the lowest physical upside of any of the top 4 QBs. The least comparable to new age prototypes. Which is fine if his arm and mind plays in the pros like it did in college.

11. dookiester

dookiester Member

im so confused. neither cj stroud nor will levis ran 40 at the combine but levis is definitively more athletic than cj stroud? is will levis even more athletic than davis mills who apparently runs a 4.5-4.6 vs levis presumed 4.7? if davis mills level athleticism is the awesome upside folks see with levis, i'll pass. give me the guy who throws the ball well and is a stiff over the guy who isnt as good throwing the ball but is as athletic as davis mills.

MadMax, houstonstime and Fulgore like this.
  12. raining threes

My dad once told me, you cant be funny and be dumb.

13. raining threes

Just because I think he's dumb as a box of rocks, doesn't mean I hope the QB of the team I root for fails.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Levis ran 4.68 in college.
    His tape shows how athletic he is in space , his vertical and broad jump show how explosive he is. Stronger arm, faster release and accurate. He forced plays and made dumb decisions.

Stroud is great on schedule thrower of the ball. Great ball placement and pocket maneuvering. Which is nice. But he’s also terrible under pressure. When he doesn’t have the clear talent advantage, outside of the Georgia game he has been average at best.

As far as Mills goes, he’s faster in a straight line than Stroud but they’re similar in short area burst. Not great

raining threes likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That is the kind of attitude that makes me like this kid

desihooper, bigdaddy, mikol13 and 6 others like this.
  17. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

There you go! Good post champ!!! :D

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol.
    I’m trying to highlight the kid and argue with specific posters.
    Not working out

mikol13, houstonstime and primtim24 like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. conquistador#11

For those that don't like clicking on the twitter website, the subtweet:

"Interesting how coveted C.J. Stroud was by AFC South teams. His combination of film, upside & floor via pinpoint accuracy made for a really appealing option for anyone that needs to get past Trevor Lawrence 2x."

On a side note, 38% of Lawrence's ints were claimed by the Texans Defense.

mikol13, TheFreak, Omihall23 and 2 others like this.