1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You absolutely can. Those are physical comps more than success.

I hope he does

red5rocket likes this.
  2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yea, but you also wouldn’t hire Smith-Njigba because he has a brother who is “overweight” and you think that’s bad genes… so I don’t think anyone cares about your hiring processes or evaluations anymore…

Fulgore, cbass and red5rocket like this.
  3. cbass

cbass Member

Did anyone care about his hiring processes or evaluations before?

I know I didn’t.

houstonstime and Fulgore like this.
  4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yea, but you also wouldn’t hire Smith-Njigba because he has a brother who is “overweight” and you think that’s bad genes… so I don’t think anyone cares about your hiring processes or evaluations anymore…
    I feel pretty much the same. He was not my first choice, I’m hesitant and have questions. But man has he also excited me. I think that’s the main issues I have with @cmoak1982 , going into the draft we were pretty aligned on QBs. Wanted Bryce, no one else. Except I had Stroud as my 2 and he had Levis and Richardson up there. But either way, I have changed my mood watching Stroud and he hasn’t yet. I may have done so prematurely and we won’t know until the games start, but can’t fault him for holding on to his opinions. I was so mad we went for Watson and missed Mahomes, but I turned around as soon as we saw Watson, and it looks like I should have stuck to my original opinion haha.

anyways, it’s more fun for me to root for the team. I haven’t been able to for over 2 years, hoping for high draft picks. I know we traded a lot for Will, but damn am I excited to root for wins again. And Stroud being accurate is more important than athletic. But I do hope his processing is not indicative of that S2 score because I also think that is the 2nd most important part. Hence my desire for Young who had both. Either way, I hope we can start winning again.

CVcrew and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Exactly why should it concern me when our rival trades up for a player? It literally means they valued a player higher than their current capital allowed for. But my rival trading up for a player I had the chance to take twice and passed on twice, doesn't concern me, and I don't think it should.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s concerning if he reaches his potential and Stroud doesn’t. Then you passed up on that guy twice while having to face him twice a year.

Same with AR

7. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Him reaching his potential and the guy I drafted NOT reaching potential is concerning. But ultimately, you're viewing this situation through the Levis colored glasses. At this point, Levis had far more red flags than any of the other top 3 QBs. Him reaching his potential and the others not, will be an indictment on the coaching staff, not the guys making the picks.

8. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

He's done pretty well because he has a great personality, not because he is a great speaker.

raining threes, Fulgore and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Most QB's arms are poor under pressure...that's why defensive coordinators like to send pressure. lol.

The best way at beating Peyton Manning was creating havoc and having him under duress.

Fulgore likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Disagree completely. Levis is much more advanced than AR with just as much upside.
    Bryce has one major red flag in size and Stroud has multiple red flags with athleticism, ability under pressure and poor cognitive testing.
    The hype machine got Stroud drafted higher than he should have been.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not true for one. And the discrepancy between clean on time and when the there was pressure or off schedule plays was the largest in all of college football.
    If that doesn’t scare you I don’t know what to say.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also, if CJ becomes Peyton then you can accept he doesn’t perform well under pressure and not much in terms of off schedule throws.

But that last part is why Mahomes, Allen and Burrow are the prototype now. Off schedule ability

13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Athleticism is not a red flag LMAO wtf there's plenty of QBs that can't/won't run that have been Superbowl winning QBs. Stop it! You wouldn't have said a damn thing about the S2 last offseason because it's a made up test. Even the creators said it's not indicative to football success.

primtim24 and Fulgore like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lack of athleticism is a red flag in todays game. Doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a death sentence. But when you combine his lack of production under pressure and poor S2 testing. It doesn’t look promising.

The creators of the test are trying to spare feelings, it’s a relatively short window but 8 years and anyone that scored poorly on it hasn’t done well is telling. If it didn’t match up with his game play under pressure that’s one thing.

El_Conquistador likes this.
  15. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

The hype machine failed to get your boy Will Levis drafted in the 1st round and Stroud’s tape got him drafted 2nd overall. You can continue to pine for the Zach Wilson clone all you like, but when he busts you’ll have nowhere to hide.

primtim24 and Fulgore like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Shut your p***y ass up little kid.
    When Stroud busts what are you gonna do? Dwayne Haskins in the making

17. cbass

cbass Member

You just insulted the 2nd overall pick rookie QB for the team you root for, and a dead kid.

And you claim to be rooting for Stroud.

Is that who you really want to be?

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Again, I’m fighting fire with fire. So unless you want to lecture others for their comments, don’t speak to me about anything.
    Fair enough?

19. cbass

cbass Member

Why would I lecture someone for talking sh*t about Levis or Zach Wilson?

Neither of them are Texans.

And please note, I didn’t give you crap for personally insulting the person you were responding to. I gave you crap for insulting the Texans QB who you claim to root for and for insulting a dead kid. I stand by that.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Look, if you don’t like back and forth arguing between posters, then you shouldn’t be on forums.
    The only reason I’ll support Stroud is because he’s a Texan. That’s it.
    They think I’m a Levis supporter and shouldn’t be so they run their mouths.
    I think they overrate Stroud and shouldn’t so I run my mouth. Pretty simple.
    If you don’t like it, don’t read it.