1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Kelly Iko BOMB] Rockets interested in CP3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TMac'n, May 23, 2023.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Woah! If Harden goes to Phoenix with CP3, we're done bros.

Jontro and s3ts like this.
  2. riko

riko Member

If he goes to Phoenix it’s because has got rid of Paul. They are trying to trade Paul by all accounts

coachbadlee likes this.
  3. VoR

VoR Member

If Harden goes to Phoenix, you're basically going to have the 2022 Brooklyn Nets all over again. The new owner of the Suns doesn't seem very smart.

PeterKingX and Rockethard like this.
  4. VoR

VoR Member

If we trade for Paul, I wouldn't offer them anything of value only let them use it as a salary dump.

jim1961, CarlosGM and Rockethard like this.
  5. riko

riko Member

They will probably be better . Booker is better than Kyrie. He is also better than the current version of Harden and probably KD. If they trade Ayton to Dallas for Josh Green, Timmy Hardaway Jr and Bullock they will have some depth. Get nurse as the head coach and they can be pretty good.

Plus whatever depth they also get for Paul as well. I just don’t see them beating Nuggets. They seem ready to dominate the NBA

s3ts likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Chris Paul and Chauncey Billups are off the top of my head, two of the most underrated and under appreciated players of all time- you can throw Walt Frazier in there too.

However, Chris Paul has his own issues on and off the court. The fact that the Rockets would look at trading for a 40 year old is proof that the Rockets owner is just hell bent on spending the money or Kelly Iko is talking out his ass.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jontro likes this.
  8. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Usually like/agree with your opinions on a lot of things.
    You don't think CP3 would be a huge help to our younger players (and whomever we take at #4 such as Amen) and that's why they would bring him in?
    I do.

I know he has beef with Tilman but if PHO is trying to get off his contract and if we could get him for no real assets given up or even picking up assets with his contract I wonder if we might tell him "you mentor our young guys for awhile and then we'll trade you to a contender of your choice" as payment.
    He might go for something like that.

I wonder if we traded for him this offseason could we then trade him at the trade deadline next year or would we have to keep him a full season before he's trade eligible again?

9. VoR

VoR Member

2024-2025 isn't guaranteed in CP3's contract? So $30,000,000 to mentor these kids for one year? I like spending other people's money, but I'm starting to think that this isn't the best way to spend that money. I'm starting to think he'd be better on the Wolves because they need that leadership to get them over the hump.

10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]

BamBam and Ancient Moabite like this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Agree with you here that Iko does sometimes publish things that only benefit Rockets ownership, but if they're hell-bent on spending it then I hope it's someone like CP3 who can be on a 1 year contract but who's mentorship will pay dividends for years. Same with Brook Lopez who on a 2 or 3 year contract at $20m would be almost double his previous salary but that's still a manageable risk.

IMO he's less of a risk than players like Harden, Reaves and Cam Johnson who we have to commit to for 4 years at large salaries relative to who they are right now in the present. In Reaves case I don't mind so much because we're just hoping for a great role player at double the MLE, which is a fair expectation. Even with Reaves though, there's a level of risk where we're paying him $25m and he's worth $15m. $10m in non-performing assets is not franchise-killing, but still more painful under the new CBA than the old.

I still think the hopes of CP3 giving up on title aspirations is a pipe dream. However if ownership is gung-ho with the FA money, I hope their only options are players with front-loaded risk so to speak. I don't want to be wondering whether we made the right decision 2 years from now when it's time to extend the young guys. With the Cam Johnsons of the world we're hoping he takes a step up and that's where people get in trouble. With Harden we hope he doesn't take a step down at the age everyone takes a step down, and that's where we'd get in trouble. With CP3 the worst that can happen is he's here for a year or he's a dump-able expiring contract in a year.

#151 Mathloom, May 24, 2023
    Last edited: May 24, 2023
    Nook and OremLK like this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

the rox already got a mentor. his name is hakeem olajudream. he teaches moves for centers and guards. but sipithree can teach the brehs how to flop

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

true, usually the Rockets want every player and have no money to spend

coachbadlee likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

true, usually the Rockets want every player and have no money to spend

pie in the sky

coachbadlee likes this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why? One year (or two) is exactly what we want. We don't want a long contract that will clog up the capspace when the kids are ready to go to war.

16. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

You have to spend more than that in any case to reach the minimum NBA payroll. It would be like moving the ability to get quality free agents to 2024, when there are much better free agents than this year

17. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

Hope for a James Harden, Chris Paul and Ja Morant Super team

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Keem has to get himself into a Cryofreeze mang.

Need to get younger and fit.

Turn back the wheels of time, baby.

Jontro likes this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I like the idea of Paul better than Harden.
    A lot better. Less expensive as well.
    Doesn't matter if he is hurt for the playoffs because this team aint makin' the playoffs in 2023/24.

cml750 likes this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Those of you who say this team ain't going nowhere next season are forgetting one thing. We have a coach who is a one year wonder with young teams.