1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Because some people have the memory of fish.
    They forget the great job the choking artist did so quickly.

beardsanity713 and RoyalGuard like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Have we had any new word from Feigen, Iko, etc on this? I was really hoping one of them would immediately come out with some kind of response article debunking the report and saying "the Rockets have not decided on a firm direction and are exploring all options" or some such.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think Ime is familiar with Harden and has coached him before.

Either way, what's good for Harden offensively is usually what's good for everyone else.

Yep, would rather be in a game 7 next year than being 3 years away from being the 8th seed.

Patience likes this.
  4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Harden can't help you win the championship.

Harden also can't help any young players to be star players.

So do not take Harden back please.

5. invocux

invocux Member

More i think about it more i don't like it. I feel like he'll take 20 shots and won't take a back seat. You can say oh he'll help our young core we need a true PG but i don't want us to turn into a one man team. His gravity on the court scares me.

#2985 invocux, May 19, 2023
    Last edited: May 19, 2023
  6. Asian Sensation

Imagine calling a 6 time Turnover champion and a guy with a less than 2:1 assist to turnover ratio for his career the “most elite playmaker and passer for his generation”. Damn!

Y’all gotta realize he’s not the scorer he once was. Of course he’ll go off every now and then when his shot is on but those will be few and far between. Also, more than half his assists came off passes to Embiid. Can we stop this myth that Harden is some kind of basketball god that makes everyone around him better? As if Maxey wasn’t having a good season prior to him coming and on a path to where he’s at today with or without him.

7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Ime needs veterans to help with this young team. Harden is still a top 20 to 25 player, lead the NBA in assists and scored over 20 points a game. Our team will not look like a AAU team anymore. We will have a Star in this league, Jalen is going to average 25 points per game, Sengun will be able to play all 4 quarters and Ime will run some plays through him….Sengun is going to average 20 points and 10 rebounds per game. Finally, we are getting a Shooting Coach…finally

chadyang likes this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Hmmm.

Capela developed great with Harden. Parson played great with Harden. Terrence Jones looked like a decent prospect with Harden, even had a couple of decent years. Dmo played really well with Harden, remember when Dwight missed half the season Dmo stepped in? Patrick Beverley did well with Harden. Danuel House did well with Harden. Kostas Papanikolau (sp?) looked like a decent player with Harden for that year he was here.

That's just with the rockets.

With the Nets it was Bruce Brown and Nic Claxton.

With Phili it's been Tyrese Maxey.

Help me out here @Reeko, am I missing anything?

9. Underrated23

Underrated23 Member

We have been one of the worst teams for the last three years and a laughing stock. I don’t expect him to be a top 5 player but you try to get him back to have a shot at the playoffs. We will get another star if he returns.

CantStopJG24 and chadyang like this.
  10. riko

riko Member

Tarik black if some remember him… Nick Claxton.. he revived the corpse of Blake Griffin….

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

u pretty much got it covered bro

now that I think about, the only guys who struggled next to Harden and couldn’t be all that they can be are scrub Lin, bonehead “I need muh postups” Dwight, and I think scrub Ryno was crying during the 17-18 season

JoeBarelyCares and ElPigto like this.
  12. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Yea I don't understand the argument for not wanting him back. Sure he won't bring us a title by himself but what is the other option? Sucking in hopes of landing the #1 pick? How has that worked out for us the last 3 years?

Mr.Scary and chadyang like this.
  13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Would rather overpay to trade up for Scoot Henderson and set ourselves up for a title run a few years from now than overpay Harden to be mediocre over that period.

Maybe we could do both, but I really, really don't like the idea of Scoot being a backup for the next 3-4 years. Just pisses me off that they're not even considering getting him as a possibility, unless they know something we don't and are absolutely certain there's no way they can land Scoot.

xaos likes this.
  14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I don't think they were playing great just because of Harden, because they still play good like before without Harden.

In addition, they are role players, not star players.

beardsanity713 and xaos like this.
  15. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I'm not against trading up for Scoot but it just depends on how much you are over paying. You have to draw the line at some point.

16. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I don't think they were playing great just because of Harden, because they still play good like before without Harden.

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How is it not obvious that he only wants to come back to Houston, be given license to do whatever he wants, party as much as possible, and give up on all pretense of caring about winning? This team is years away from being a contender. This is officially James Harden giving up.

And, of course, Tilman is eager to sign up for all of that because he misguidedly thinks he's getting a star. He'll give him as much money as he wants to throw around at Dreams and expect nothing in return.

I said it when Tilman bought the team and I'll repeat if if we sign James Harden: Fertitta will turn this franchise into Knicks South.

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Don't forget Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, Carmelo Anthony, DeMarcus Cousins, Robert Covington just off the top of my head.

19. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Philly has had issues advancing in the postseason largely due to a lack of a closer and leader. Harden at this stage is a table setter and perhaps he always was. The easiest way to explain their recent exit is by the choking narrative. But who actually choked? They were never favored in any of the games played evidenced by the Vegas betting odds. They won their first game on Boston’s floor without Embiid because Harden mailed in a masterpiece. They lost the next two because Embiid was coming back from a 2 week absence due to his knee injury. He was rusty and the focus was to get him going. Harden won the 4th game with another brilliant 42 point effort. Their 5th win in Boston was a team blowout. They lost the sixth when the entire team sucked. Terrible shooting despite open looks bricked. You can say the 7th was also a choke job, but it was heavily Embiid centric. If he could have had one game to prove his MVP worth that was it. The fact is they still pushed the title favorites to a game 7 that would never have happened without Hardens games. I don’t consider that only Harden choking, but he doesn’t have that clutch scoring ability in elimination pressure scenarios. If he does come here I hope it’s on a reasonable contract and we find or develop another superstar down the road that can be relied on to close out those kind of games. I think he can help the young guys learn the ropes and be a positive impact overall on winning games. This team lacks veteran talent, Harden has a lot of playoff experience and in the end we will need that. We should be trying to get into the playoffs from now on. OKC owns our foreseeable first rounders. Harden is the best free agent available on the market.

PeteChilcutBoss likes this.
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I like the cut of your jib. If this is Knicks south, what's the analogy to signing Har(d)en? Melo? Not exactly. A'mare Stoudamire? (sp)

xaos likes this.