1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car buying advice for my teenager

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by no_answer, May 18, 2023.

?

Should I be able to negotiate?

1. Yep

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Probably No

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. no_answer

no_answer Member

So I bought a couple of vehicles back in 2021 and I was able to get a lot of money for my trade ins and some nice discounts on my new vehicles. Now, I am getting my daughter her first car. I'm wondering if with supply and demand have we lost a lot of our negotiation room? Should I expect to just pay what they ask? I am going to get her something used, so i'm not familiar with how much you can negotiate when the vehicle is used. Please give me any advice you have.

Thanks in advance.

Ubiquitin and IBTL like this.
  2. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

There's little room to negotiate right now, especially if you're looking for something likely not in stock (Toyota, Honda, etc). It's doable, but not like it used to be for the most part. Years ago I used truecar to see what others paid for that model and used that to haggle. Dealers honored the pricing for me. Buying at the end of the month, even at the end of the year may help.

Bought my daughter a corolla and had to wait a few weeks for the model and colors we were willing to accept. Fortunately she had our old vehicle, which she was using and we could wait it out. Desperate people needing cars are willing to pay full price plus whatever dealer add-ons are added.

no_answer likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There's always room to negotiate. The problem for the buyer is usually the buyer's FOMO. If you can walk away, you'll get a deal.

Know the market, know what you want, watch listings, that way when a good deal pops up you don't lose out due to overthinking.

STR8Thugg, IBTL and no_answer like this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Pontiac Sunfire and Mitsubishi Eclipse are the finest sports cars.

mtbrays, Aware, boomboom and 3 others like this.
  5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Went looking at cars a few weeks ago for my mother. It seems like every dealer has "their add-on options" which add significantly to the price of the car. For us it was $2500 at one dealer and $7k at another (both Toyota). No matter if they had the car in stock or not, you had to pay a "destination fee". We did not want the "dealer options", but according to the dealer, all of their cars had those options already so they could not be taken off. At that point I realized it was cheaper to order the car online and have it shipped to the dealer for pickup since you have to pay that "destination fee" regardless. This is because if you order online, you don't have to pay for the unwanted "dealer options".

ramotadab and no_answer like this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What car did you buy and how much?

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Seems like car dealers and restaurants have both taken to and are refusing to let go of this brave new world of bullshit fees tacked on at point of sale because "covid".

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

another option. the Del Sol

[​IMG]

Blake likes this.
  9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Things seemingly have got better for the buy side, but it does depend on what you’re getting. Do your research, cast a broad net and take your time and don’t be afraid to walk away. People get themselves into trouble when they start to feel pressure from a time perspective.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Probably won't be able to negotiate much. I think your best bet will be to:

1) Don't be too picky about the brand / model
    2) Check dealer websites monthly to see what their specials are, and what the manufacturer's specials are

This is what I did. I wasn't married to any specific brand or model. Just checked out all the dealer websites to find the best deal for a vehicle that met my requirements. Best deal ended up being for a PHEV Ford Escape, which had an incentive of $3,500 off MSRP and 0% financing for 36 months.

I actually did have to put up a fight for them to actually honor the sale terms. They were arguing that you got $3.5k off or 0% financing; you couldn't get both. So we had a discussion about what the word and means since that's the word their advertisement used. I took screenshots of everything and got it in writing that they weren't going to honor their advertised price. Armed with this, the next day I asked one final time via email if they would honor their advertised sale terms, and they accepted. I think they could tell I was going to report them for false advertising (which I definitely was going to do).

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

LMAO. God, there's a special place in hell for car dealers.

IIRC what really spooks them if you find them doing shady **** like that is reporting them to their manufacturer (provided you're shopping new vehicles at a mainline brand dealer and not 'bob's auto emporium'). The manufacturers take stuff like that very seriously when their local dealers start monkeying with their bottom line/corporate sales agreements.

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I remember one time a manager coming at me for making his employee feel bad (according to him). I told that guy to **** himself and walked out. I was serious about walking out that day with a car. Went to another dealer and got the deal I wanted.

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

She didn't buy anything. My brother is getting a new truck and giving her his 2yr old Suburu. She has a 12yr old Toyota Corolla right now.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Ah I remember the first car days. My Dad had a Volvo sedan stick shift with some absurd number of miles on it from the 70s he was proud of. So, we go looking for a used car and he hoodwinks me into buying a used Volvo sedan from CA without an air conditioner. I was so eager to get a car that I bit. Big mistake per the summer heat. It ended up being my college car. A lot of hot fricking rides with a dash mounted fan blowing hot air on me. lol

15. CrazyJoeDavola

Be wary of the salesman. First they stick you with the undercoating, rust-proofing, dealer prep. Sudeenly, you’re on your back like a turnip.

Also, the only thing those guys fear is the walk-out. No matter what they say, you say, "I’ll walk out of here right now!"

no_answer and Rileydog like this.
  16. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Four years ago, I bought a car for my oldest child. I did my research on fair value on various platforms, determined the price I would be willing to pay. I went to a dealership and said I want a Subaru cross trek with the following features for X as the walk out price. No add ons, no anything.

Salesman went through he usual routine saying they could do Y price, and I said no, you don’t understand,ni did my research, I know value, this is my price. I’m not here to negotiate, im here to see if you have the car with the features I want, and then a yes or no answer on my price. More talk, saying look we want to sell you a car but need you to come up. I said, thank you, Im leaving now. Later this week, when I have time, I will go see if the other Subaru place will do the deal at my price.

I get a call on my cell phone as Im driving home. It’s the salesman, more blah blah blah, come back, I talked to my manager, we can come down a little more. Just come back and let’s talk. Is it my price? Well let’s just talk and im sure we can work something out. No thanks, call me when you have a yes for me.

Next day, same conversation.

next day, salesman calls saying yes, we will sell at that price. I say, ok, but I am bringing a check with that price written on it, and I am not writing another check. If you tell me there is any additional fee, I will leave and will kill you guys with negative comments on line. I just want to be clear on expectations before I drive back.

I drive back, they have fees on the paperwork that they claim can’t be removed. I get up and say I’m leaving. The salesman said there isn’t anything we can do about these fees. I say, you are a liar. I was clear and you lied to me. I walk out of his office and before I get to the door, the manager walks over, plays the good cop, says there was a misunderstanding. I was very close to leaving anyway. But I bought the car, told the salesman he was a piece of crap, and told the general manager he should be fired, and that they would receive no money from me for service, and I would tell people not to do business with them.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Pass me the corolla.

DFWRocket and Xerobull like this.
  18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

If you have to ask, you are a salesman's dream sucker.

CrazyJoeDavola and DonkeyMagic like this.
  19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Be the last customer on the last day of the month, take snacks, plan to stay until midnight, no dealer add-ons, and make sure you get floormats thrown in the deal.

(The way we price and buy cars is stupid.)

Invisible Fan and RKREBORN like this.
  20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Direct-to-consumer model can't happen fast enough